The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - GCSE results

predicted AAAA for as but got 1a*, 4a's, 5b's in gcses.

Would this hurt my chance of getting into universities such as Oxbridge, Kings, LSE, UCL?

preferably cambridge!

thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ernstleanflowers
predicted AAAA for as but got 1a*, 4a's, 5b's in gcses.

Would this hurt my chance of getting into universities such as Oxbridge, Kings, LSE, UCL?

preferably cambridge!

thanks! :smile:

Yes. You'll be highly disadvantaged at Oxbridge; more so at Oxford than Cambridge.

As for the others, it really depends on the course. If you're applying for something competitive such as Law then yeah, your GCSEs will hurt your chances. Sorry.

Try and get those 4 As with a high UMS (90%+), that should go some way to compensating.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hebbamundo
Yes. You'll be highly disadvantaged at Oxbridge; more so at Oxford than Cambridge.

As for the others, it really depends on the course. If you're applying for something competitive such as Law then yeah, your GCSEs will hurt your chances. Sorry.

thank you! i don't know whether it's worth applying? was thinking of giving Cambridge a go? purely on the basis that i'm predicted A*A*A for A2. If it helps, interested in studying either Theology and Religious Studies or Human Social and Political sciences at Cambridge?
thank you! i don't know whether it's worth applying? was thinking of giving Cambridge a go? purely on the basis that i'm predicted A*A*A for A2. If it helps, interested in studying either Theology and Religious Studies or Human Social and Political sciences at Cambridge?

I think the UMS for successful candidates at Cambridge was 92% at AS and I assume you school will give you an A* prediction if you get over 90 in your AS exams.
Although your GCSE grades are very good and your A2 predictions are outstanding, I don't know if your GCSE grades may hold you back at universities like Oxford and Cambridge, where many applicants will have at least 10A* grades. I wouldn't be put off applying though, because you can still choose 3 'safer' choices and you never know, you might just get an offer from Oxbridge. Good luck!
thank you, yeah at high school those were the highest grades anyone achieved, hardly anyone in my year got A's but now i go to a college where everyone got 12A* and are applying for english, medicine extra at oxbridge. finding it quite difficult to 'shine' from a crowd as such. but thank you everyone, think i may give it a go!
Reply 6
You'd have more of a chance at Cambridge than Oxford - they place little values on GCSE's, and even less if you give a good reason for poor performance.
GCSEs wise is fine, I got really bad UMS scores (87, 81, 76 etc) but I got an interview for Cambridge for Economics(competitive), so it is definitely doable.
Sadly these days they will put you at a disadvantage.

They take into account your contextual situation, so if your results are excellent in terms of where you go to school, it shouldn't disadvantage you too much. People get in (or at least interviews) with weaker GCSEs than yours.
For Cambridge its mainly your AS UMS scores - get atleast 90% UMS average at AS level and they won't care too much about any GCSE scores :smile:
Reply 11

How can you have A2 predictions already?
Original post by uttamo
How can you have A2 predictions already?

Oh yh I just realised, she hasn't ACTUALLY sat any AS exams yet...
Original post by Jackfinance17
GCSEs wise is fine, I got really bad UMS scores (87, 81, 76 etc) but I got an interview for Cambridge for Economics(competitive), so it is definitely doable.

Well done man, may I ask what were your GCSEs like?
As long as you haven't failed any btec's then youll be fine, if you have then you will need to reconsider what you do with your life.
only joking lol:smile:

Youre grades are good, get good a-level grades and you have a serious chance.
Reply 15
I know a girl who got into Cambridge with 2 A*s at GCSE and the rest As and Bs so depending on the course competitiveness you might as well; if you reckon you're in with a chance, you should give it a go - at least you'll have tried!
(edited 11 years ago)
Inb4 "you need 5 A*s for Oxbridge". Inb4 people who have never even thought about applying to any of these universities give their opinions.

OP, if you're applying for, e.g., economics or law, LSE will be a long shot. Tutors at both Oxford and Cambridge place substantially less emphasis on GCSEs than those at LSE, since they have much more information available to them (interviews, essays, etc). I wouldn't rule you out of either; but in the case of cambridge, since in an application there you'll get to show off your UMS scores at AS level, if you can get high As you won't be disadvantaged at all, really.

I can't say anything about King's.

Original post by SarahAlexis
I think the UMS for successful candidates at Cambridge was 92% at AS and I assume you school will give you an A* prediction if you get over 90 in your AS exams.

That's the upper end of the average for law, and I'd've thought the case to be similar in other subjects, especially humanities.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm also doing my GCSE's right now, not quite done, but so far have mostly achieved A's and A*'s... with the exception of art, it is the bane of my life and I will be lucky to get a C. Will that disadvantage me if I am looking to study Medicine at one of the Russell Group (Preferably Cambridge) ?
Original post by SapphireHA1996
I'm also doing my GCSE's right now, not quite done, but so far have mostly achieved A's and A*'s... with the exception of art, it is the bane of my life and I will be lucky to get a C. Will that disadvantage me if I am looking to study Medicine at one of the Russell Group (Preferably Cambridge) ?

Ask in the med forum. The people who know about medicine are in there.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Well done man, may I ask what were your GCSEs like?

I got 5A* 1A 2B and 4 BETCs, because my school won't good enough to put more GCSEs out for us to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending