Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trawling through this forum for a few days now and still seem to be confused when trying to answer these questions:

Is Kings a good place to do law?

Does it have a good reputation with large City firms or in the academic community?

Will I be able to get a decent start to my legal career at the end of it?

Should I go to Kings or Leeds (the other university I hold an offer from)?

Just for your info; I'm on course for AAA at A2 and AB at AS. I'm also waiting for replies from UCL and LSE (the *******s keep you hanging on).

Oh, also I though KCL had the most fantastic, beautiful library Ive seen so far on all my open days!

ReputationRep:
    Ask Gnostic. Or not.

ReputationRep:
    Kings is actually great for Law, and I can confidently say it is much better than Leeds in that particular area - especially with regards to links with law firms and reputation in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Ask Gnostic. Or not.
    I'd go for not.

ReputationRep:
    KCL is v.good for law and has a good reputation BUT go LSE/UCL have a better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    KCL is v.good for law and has a good reputation BUT go LSE/UCL have a better reputation.
    Well at the end of the day your degree is from The University of London.

ReputationRep:
    In the summer of 2001 i went to a Kings Law Open Day, i'm not sure if the format is the same these days. Nevertheless, kings law alumni were invited to speak about Kings and their career. There were two ladies, one of which worked at Allen and Overy, the other at Clifford Chance. The first lady did a 3 yr law degree and then her Masters at Kings, she then did the BVC. She was in her 30s and already a partner in the firm. On the other hand, the other lady did the Maitrise at Kings then the LPC and is at Clifford Chance. Anyways, they both received Firsts at Kings and were different people. The former seemed more motivated and this translated in to a 70,000 salary, while the other worked in the litigation team at CC and earned 50,000! You will have the opportunities if you go to Kings, they both talked about how their firms were closely linked to Kings and often held luncheons etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I've been trawling through this forum for a few days now and still seem to be confused when trying to answer these questions:

Is Kings a good place to do law?

Does it have a good reputation with large City firms or in the academic community?

Will I be able to get a decent start to my legal career at the end of it?

Should I go to Kings or Leeds (the other university I hold an offer from)?

Just for your info; I'm on course for AAA at A2 and AB at AS. I'm also waiting for replies from UCL and LSE (the *******s keep you hanging on).

Oh, also I though KCL had the most fantastic, beautiful library Ive seen so far on all my open days!
    Yes, yes, yes and KCL....those are the answers.

KCL is a very good law school...and from what i've heard on these forums, quite underrated by students. This of course is just my opinion, but i reckon its better than Leeds uni both in terms of studying law, and also in terms of social life....how can you beat London??

Try asking Gnostic...he's the KCL law expert, though if you search through old threads...i'm pretty sure there's a discussion on KCL for law.

Lemme try and find it for you.

G

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=29626

Here's a thread for you.

G

ReputationRep:
    KCL..

I mean, even this small dot on the world knows it... the other countries should have heard of it too..

P.S. It's quite prestigious if you are a law graduate from KCL, in Singapore...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. You've thoroughly convinced me. Although Leeds has actually asked for higher grades (AAA-Leeds, AAB-KCL), I suppose law firms arent going to know that when Im applying for training contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunice)
    KCL..

I mean, even this small dot on the world knows it... the other countries should have heard of it too..

P.S. It's quite prestigious if you are a law graduate from KCL, in Singapore...
    Singapore has somehow (not quite sure how) a special association with KCL.
    Maybe KCL is an amazing untapped place to study, but I wouldn't have guessed it (and I'd say this would apply to most).

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.