The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Which toilet should transitioning transgender people use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Norton1
I think you missed my point.
You didn't manage to make one. You were trying to say that stopping men going into women's toilets was as silly as stopping adults going into children's toilets, as if it were silly to stop adults going into children's toilets.
Reply 21
Original post by Hopple
You didn't manage to make one. You were trying to say that stopping men going into women's toilets was as silly as stopping adults going into children's toilets, as if it were silly to stop adults going into children's toilets.

Show me where I referred to toilets?

There's a risk a rapist could dress as a child and attend a school. But we don't ban children, do we? It's ludicrously unlikely that situation would occur.
Original post by linkdapink
This baffles me. Girls toilets - you go in, close the cubicle door and lock it. No-one even knows who is behind each door? It's not exactly out in open like men's urinals? So I really don't see the massive problem with this?
Why would it baffle you? You say you don't want men in the women's toilets & people with male genatalia are still classified as male.
Reply 23
Original post by Norton1
Show me where I referred to toilets?
Well then it was even less relevant to the discussion than I initially thought.
Reply 24
Original post by Hopple
Well then it was even less relevant to the discussion than I initially thought.

It was an analogy of another unlikely thing. I'm sorry that you've decided any examples used have to be toilet related.
Reply 25
Original post by Norton1
It was an analogy of another unlikely thing. I'm sorry that you've decided any examples used have to be toilet related.
The example of there being separate toilets for adults and kids is more relevant and disproves your 'point'.
I can't be the only one who really couldn't give a **** which toilet anyone uses... what awful thing do people imagine is gonna happen if a biological man dressed like a woman uses the "wrong" toilet?
Original post by Norton1
I think there have actually been quite a few cases of people doing that. I can't find the one in Scotland I was thinking of, but here's one from Canada.

http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/tk-cases-of-adults-impersonating-teenagers/treva_thornberry_061212/

Mind = blown.
Reply 28
Original post by Hopple
The example of there being separate toilets for adults and kids is more relevant and disproves your 'point'.

I specifically said they were dressed as a schoolkid and thus - if we really must divert into your pedantic nonsense - would be using the children's toilets.
Reply 29
Original post by Norton1
I specifically said they were dressed as a schoolkid and thus - if we really must divert into your pedantic nonsense - would be using the children's toilets.
Yes, and if caught then would be chucked out, rather than left to try again without any suspicion if they claimed they identified as a child.
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I was on Facebook this afternoon when I saw one of my friends had posted a status about how they had been told to use the male toilets in a nightclub as they are in the process of becoming female and is currently taking hormones etc and will be having the full operation next year. I've never actually met this girl, she added me randomly on Facebook but she is very honest and open about her transitioning and I've been interested in following her journey.

Anyway, there were a lot of comments stating general outrage that she had been asked to use the male toilets as she dresses and lives as a female and apparently has never had a problem with using the female toilets in any nightclub before.

There were however a few comments saying she should indeed use the male toilets until she has had the operation to remove her male genitals as no other 'biological' male would be allowed to enter the female toilets. One person even said a man dressed up in drag say for a stag do would use the male toilets, therefore this girl should too.

So what's your take on it? Should people in the process of transitioning use their biological gender-appropriate toilet in public places, or should they be able to use the gender to which they are transitioning to?

I'm not trolling, but if he's transitioning from man to female, are his genitals going to be removed? and how is he going to get a vagina if he wants to be a women? and he should use the male toilets
Reply 31
This is why I think public places should be required to have a unisex bathroom; a little separate room with just one toilet and sink, along with the common male and female bathrooms with stalls. Then transitioning people or those who don't feel they fit into the gender binaries could use that instead if they felt more comfortable with it.
Reply 32
Original post by AbathaZoe
This is why I think public places should be required to have a unisex bathroom; a little separate room with just one toilet and sink, along with the common male and female bathrooms with stalls. Then transitioning people or those who don't feel they fit into the gender binaries could use that instead if they felt more comfortable with it.
There is usually a disabled toilet, which would serve the purpose.
Original post by Hopple
Where? :s-smilie:

I can't remember off the top of my head but I've been to places where I've seen either toilets with both a male and female symbol on them or seen lines of cubicles with one of three symbols on them (male, female or male and female). That's not really gender neutral as I put it but it makes life a bit easier for transgendered people as it's not so much about which room to go into but which cubicle as all the toilets are together.
Reply 34
Original post by Hopple
There is usually a disabled toilet, which would serve the purpose.

I suppose so, it just seems wrong to me for transgender people to have to use a disabled toilet.
Reply 35
Original post by Hopple
Yes, and if caught then would be chucked out, rather than left to try again without any suspicion if they claimed they identified as a child.

As I recall we were talking about rapists rather than transsexuals in relation to this point?
Reply 36
Original post by AbathaZoe
I suppose so, it just seems wrong to me for transgender people to have to use a disabled toilet.
You needn't call it a disabled toilet, I'm just saying the facility is already there rather than saying buildings should install an extra toilet, and it wouldn't be used to the extent there'd be queues.
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
I'm not trolling, but if he's transitioning from man to female, are his genitals going to be removed? and how is he going to get a vagina if he wants to be a women? and he should use the male toilets

Yes the male genitals will be removed and a vagina created in its place; not entirely sure how this is done though. And SHE prefers to be referred to as a female, she dresses and lives as a female and has changed her name to a girl's name, it's quite disrespectful to say "him".

Why do you think she should use the male toilets out of curiosity?
Reply 38
Original post by Norton1
As I recall we were talking about rapists rather than transsexuals in relation to this point?
The point is rapists posing as transexuals to have cover, so both. Clearly there's no danger of kids/women being raped if the adults/men aren't rapists, but allow someone the excuse of identifying as a child/woman and you give rapists a way in.
Reply 39
Mrs. Doubtfire had this problem.

By the way, those signs on the door denoting male and female, they're not a legally binding contract are they? I could walk into a woman's loo and use it legally if I really wanted to right?

Latest

Trending

Trending