The Student Room Group

University of Amsterdam applicants 2013

all in the title...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was wondering if any universities there did Geology, Applied Geology Or earth sciences. Either in English or dutch, however i don't speak much dutch i am more than willing to learn
Check out studyinholland.co.uk. it doesn't look like there's an English taught geology course. But if you think your Dutch is good enough, with all the unis the Netherlands has I wouldn't bet against there being a Dutch one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ahhh damn, I'm stuck here then
Reply 4
I know this sounds cheeky but could I have a copy of your personal statement? I'm applying for liberal arts so I won't be able to copy it. What are you predicted or what did you get in A-levels? My A-levels aren't great (C's) so will that be good enough? Also, have you applied to UCAS too? I'm wondering if I just change my personal statement to 'liberal arts' instead of geography and write why I want to study it.

Thanks again,
A x
Reply 5
I had all Bs, as long as they're passes I think it's fine. But I think the admissions process will be different for AUC. I don't know whether they'll want the same. My personal statement was very focused on economics and business... apart from that I just tried to relate all my a level subjects to what i wanted to the course. i did kind of recycle mine from applying to ucas before, but it was for the same subject.
Reply 6
I did IB and sent my participation agreement, did the math test and a phone interview. Anyone else starting this year?
Reply 7
Original post by samkobes
I did IB and sent my participation agreement, did the math test and a phone interview. Anyone else starting this year?

Right here :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Damio92
Right here :smile:

Cool. You should make a Facebook group, probably when more than 2 people decide to go though.

When do you plan on moving to Amsterdam etc?
Yeah, will do. I'm guessing a few days before the introduction week starts, don't know yet though. Apparently we're not getting accommodation offers until May... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I was initially planning on a week before introduction week, but I just found a Dutch language course at UvA that starts in the beginning of August, so I might do that depending on accommodation though.

Just realized my offer is still conditional, UvA said "It is just about an internal document for the registration." Has your status changed to admitted yet or is it still pending?
Reply 11
Original post by Dami_O
There doesn't seem to be very much focused on UvA here? Is there anyone applying or who has already applied to UvA for entry in 2013? Especially for the English taught Business & Economics course?
I've just been admitted (provided I sign and return a participation agreement and send copies of certificates), so I'm happy to help with any queries about the application process.

Did you have to write a motivation letter for the Economics and Business Bachelors course? If so, what did you include in it?
Reply 12
They do require a motivation letter, I included a bit of information about me but generally a more UK style essay than a US. The word limit is a pain though.
I was initially planning on a week before introduction week, but I just found a Dutch language course at UvA that starts in the beginning of August, so I might do that depending on accommodation though.

Just realized my offer is still conditional, UvA said "It is just about an internal document for the registration." Has your status changed to admitted yet or is it still pending?

Fair enough man. I didn't actually realise but mine also says conditional. I'm guessing they didn't say anything about when that would change? And there was a word limit?! Haha, I just (quite heavily) edited my ucas personal statement but I guess it was still around 50 lines.

To co-1007 it included the usuals really, why I want to study the subject, why at UvA, skills I've acquired before and how ill apply them to future studies, plus a bit of horn blowing, that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
They do require a motivation letter, I included a bit of information about me but generally a more UK style essay than a US. The word limit is a pain though.

is yours 'about 300 words' as well?
Reply 15
Yeah, 300 exactly.
Reply 16
Oops, mine was around 340
Anyone else applying for the University College?

I've got an interview on Wednesday, don't really know what to expect.
Reply 18
Original post by CocktailFreestyle
Anyone else applying for the University College?

I've got an interview on Wednesday, don't really know what to expect.

Yeah I've applied to AUC got an interview on the 6th, where abouts are you from?
Original post by co-1007
Oops, mine was around 340

Just checked and mine was 372, so I think you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending