The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for TV production/TV and Film production for 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeaMan101
Yes, I went to an open day at each university!
I agree with you, but what is the main thing that I like about Ravensbourne is the location. You have a huge amount of employment and experience possibilities on your doorstep!

London basically has everything, Bournemouth has nothing!

I agree, all the way through my upper school/sixth form years I would get told that bournemouth was basically the best for media but Ravensbourne has the perfect location for prospects after university, and if I was to go to bournemouth I would most likely move to London afterwards anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Jordan_Howell1
I agree, all the way through my upper school/sixth form years I would get told that bournemouth was basically the best for media but Ravensbourne has the perfect location for prospects after university, and if I was to go to bournemouth I would most likely move to London afterwards anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

People in industry that I've talked to say Bournemouth and Ravensbourne are the most well respected. So either would be good. I just honestly think that living in London will offer more!

I also read somewhere that Bournemouth is good for people wanting to go into producing, researching, etc. Whilst Ravensbourne is the place for the technical side; cameras, lighting, etc. Not sure how true this is though!
To all those hailing Bournemouth, which course are you on about? Media Production or Film Production and Cinematography? I applied for the latter of those two and from what I saw at the interview it was very disappointing. You shoot a lot of modules with film reels which i personally wouldn't find too bad, however the course leader may as well ejaculate over them whenever he picks one up. I was interviewed in an un-heated chapel which looked like I was attending Sunday School. The Halls of residence were awful too. The facilities weren't bad but the institution itself looked very boring and so did the surrounding area, as it was in the Salisbury campus where the course is taught. The thing that really made me sigh was the fact i was told by a student in his second year that they had just ordered some new Cannon 5D cameras. They are good, but my sixth form got then over a year ago. I don't doubt the course being worth while as i have heard good things, but this is not the course for me. If anyone is having trouble deciding this is my honest opinion but please don't base anything on what i have said, check it out for yourself first! Just cause i wasn't impressed doesn't mean you won't be.
People in industry that I've talked to say Bournemouth and Ravensbourne are the most well respected. So either would be good. I just honestly think that living in London will offer more!

I also read somewhere that Bournemouth is good for people wanting to go into producing, researching, etc. Whilst Ravensbourne is the place for the technical side; cameras, lighting, etc. Not sure how true this is though!

Cheers! The work experience is one of the major things I'm looking for in a course, but you're right London will have loads of possible work experience right on your doorstep

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with Jack. The interview really shocked me after reading all the praise about the course on TSR. The lecturer appeared to be very arrogant in himself, and focused on why the course might not be for you, over why it would be for you. The overall feel that the place gave was very 'cba' and it just didn't live up to expectation whatsoever.

Again, this is my opinion, and my opinion only. I would recommend visiting the actually university for yourself, and make your own judgements:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im only waiting on my first choice which is Leeds Met Filmmaking!

Anyone else need to hear back from them and hasnt already had an interview?
Reply 46
Cheers! The work experience is one of the major things I'm looking for in a course, but you're right London will have loads of possible work experience right on your doorstep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got an offer from Ravensbourne and Bournemouth?
Reply 47
Original post by nick1994
I think I should repost again.

Edge Hill Uni - Film and TV prod. - Conditional
Sheffield Hallam Uni- Film and Media production - Conditional
Leeds Met Uni- Filmmaking - I attended the interview yesterday so I'm just waiting for the response.
Staffordshire Uni - Media (film) Production - Interview on Monday!! :biggrin:
Derby Uni - Film and Video production - Interview a week on Monday!! :biggrin:

Would you mind telling me what things they asked you and what to expect at a stafforshire interview I have also applied for media (film) production and have an interview on the 13th of February. Also what did you take as part of your portfolio?
Have you got an offer from Ravensbourne and Bournemouth?

Unfortunately not yet, but there was some confusions between me and my school which led too my ucas being sent of extremely late (week before deadline) although I'm thinking about taking a gap year, so i might defer or just re-apply next year

Providing I get an offer I've changed my mind to Ravensbourne potentially being my firm, this is due to mainly the location/facility's and reviews from students there, although it doesn't have a compulsory work placement and bournemouth have a high rate of students employed as media associates (which I'm still yet too fully understand) it seems to me that bournemouth is moving backwards and Ravensbourne is moving forwards

The fact that it will be the first year digital television production at Ravensbourne is taught to me is an exciting prospect and not a worrying one

Posted from TSR Mobile
For people who have had interviews for Gloucester, what did most people dress like? Smart? Casual?
Reply 50
Unfortunately not yet, but there was some confusions between me and my school which led too my ucas being sent of extremely late (week before deadline) although I'm thinking about taking a gap year, so i might defer or just re-apply next year

Providing I get an offer I've changed my mind to Ravensbourne potentially being my firm, this is due to mainly the location/facility's and reviews from students there, although it doesn't have a compulsory work placement and bournemouth have a high rate of students employed as media associates (which I'm still yet too fully understand) it seems to me that bournemouth is moving backwards and Ravensbourne is moving forwards

The fact that it will be the first year digital television production at Ravensbourne is taught to me is an exciting prospect and not a worrying one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of taking a gap year, but I would rather just start Uni and try to break into the industry!

When I was at a Ravensbourne open day for they were saying that they produce students for the future of the broadcast industry, as in Year 2 and 3 you learn how to integrate television with the internet and the second screen; which is where the broadcast industry is now and will continue to go. Other courses just teach you how to make television, meaning the knowledge will soon be out of date!

The fact that this will be the first DTVP year also excites me! It also has replaced the previously successful Broadcast Operations degree, so hopefully will have a good amount of interest from employers!

I sent my UCAS off pretty late as well (a few days before we broke up for christmas) and have only had one interview so far at Ravensbourne. I have interviews next week at Bournemouth and Westminster :smile:
I was thinking of taking a gap year, but I would rather just start Uni and try to break into the industry!

When I was at a Ravensbourne open day for they were saying that they produce students for the future of the broadcast industry, as in Year 2 and 3 you learn how to integrate television with the internet and the second screen; which is where the broadcast industry is now and will continue to go. Other courses just teach you how to make television, meaning the knowledge will soon be out of date!

The fact that this will be the first DTVP year also excites me! It also has replaced the previously successful Broadcast Operations degree, so hopefully will have a good amount of interest from employers!

I sent my UCAS off pretty late as well (a few days before we broke up for christmas) and have only had one interview so far at Ravensbourne. I have interviews next week at Bournemouth and Westminster :smile:

Ravensbourne does looks to be making courses for the future and as I plan too have a long career in the business the course looks great to help me do that

The only worry about Ravensbourne compared to other uni's like bournemouth is the accommodation, I know they are currently making student accommodation specifically for Ravensbourne but the £200 a week ones at quantum court seem very expensive, I'll probably have to use student housing or the new accommodation there making, have you looked into accommodation there? And know the rough price for the other options?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Ravensbourne does looks to be making courses for the future and as I plan too have a long career in the business the course looks great to help me do that

The only worry about Ravensbourne compared to other uni's like bournemouth is the accommodation, I know they are currently making student accommodation specifically for Ravensbourne but the £200 a week ones at quantum court seem very expensive, I'll probably have to use student housing or the new accommodation there making, have you looked into accommodation there? And know the rough price for the other options?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is precisely my only worry about studying at Ravensbourne, the accommodation situation is cloudy :/
Ravensbourne have 100 reserved rooms at Quantum Court which cost £199.99 a week, but I think if you book through Ravensbourne accommodation office then you get it at a reduced price; not too sure though!
People who I talked to at Ravensbourne either house share, flat share, or stay in halls. There are a huge number of student halls across London, all varying in price depending on location and facilities!

Here is one example I found for £177 a week (single studio):

http://opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/london/opal-2-mcmillan-student-village-rmh/features/

I am going to email Ravensbourne now about the accommodation options and I'll let you know what they say as soon as I get a reply!
That is precisely my only worry about studying at Ravensbourne, the accommodation situation is cloudy :/
Ravensbourne have 100 reserved rooms at Quantum Court which cost £199.99 a week, but I think if you book through Ravensbourne accommodation office then you get it at a reduced price; not too sure though!
People who I talked to at Ravensbourne either house share, flat share, or stay in halls. There are a huge number of student halls across London, all varying in price depending on location and facilities!

Here is one example I found for £177 a week (single studio):

http://opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/london/opal-2-mcmillan-student-village-rmh/features/

I am going to email Ravensbourne now about the accommodation options and I'll let you know what they say as soon as I get a reply!

Cheers!

I know that choosing a university in London will mean high living costs ie food wise but I'm hoping I can find a good place that is less pricey as it will probably mean I have to go to a different university as you can get a lot better deals at university's not in the capital

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi I have an interview for Digital Television Production this Thursday and I'm really worrying. I had a pre-ucas interview for Digital Film Production and was offered a place however I'm thinking I'd like to do television instead - does anybody know what sort of questions they may ask?
To anyone who's had the Gloucester tv production interview..did you take a portfolio? And if so what did you include?
I've applied to:
York St John
Edge Hill
Cumbria
Anglia Ruskin
Southampton Solent
Ive put my firm as sunderland for broadcast production :excited:
Reply 58
I applied for editing and post production at Ravensbourne. I had my interview yesterday.

You are sat down in a group of around four people. Whoever is interviewing you will ask you some technical questions, then watch your show reel. I was extremely nervous and wasn't too sure how it had gone but today I received an unconditional offer! :smile:

I also have applied for Digital film production at Ravensbourne too but heard nothing yet.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
I've gotten an offer for TV production at Gloucestershire!

Can someone tell me more about the place, people and everything? I have no idea about the place because I'm an overseas student!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending