The new AM license catagory and moped cars.

Watch
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As far as I know in france you could ride a small car with a restricted speed of 30mph with only a provisional license.
Over here you could do the same if that microcar or quad had one seat(B1 license, I think) but because insurance companies were *******s this was unlikely.
Now with the new license changes(which messed up motorcycle licenses) there is the AM license class next year. It means you could take a test on a moped and be entitled to drive a little car. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20451602
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's brilliant. You can't go any faster than 30mph so you can't really get yourself into any trouble, and it'll give you valuable skills in the year before you get a car that could potentially make younger drivers much, much safer on the roads.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a HORRIBLE idea
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
This is a HORRIBLE idea
Why?
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Why?
because it's a car

And cars aren't something you can just hop in and drive. There's a reason why it takes an average of 45 hours plus 20 private hours of tuition to pass the driving test.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh, Northern-Ireland have a similar thing, learner drivers are able to drive small cars unsupervised by themself with restrictions. If they can do it, I don't see why we can't do it.

Though, it leaves many problems also. Firstly, it's a car, not a moped. Cars are quite dangerous if in the wrong hands and I don't think passing a moped test will prepare a new driver for a car... Despite how small it is. When I was first learning to drive, I was awful! Pulling out at junctions at the wrong time, cutting people off, stalling... nerves really got to me. Also, wouldn't the insurance be really high? I don't think a 28 mph restriction will prevent death but neither would crashing on a moped I suppose.

But like I said, if other countries can do it, then so can we...
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
because it's a car

And cars aren't something you can just hop in and drive. There's a reason why it takes an average of 45 hours plus 20 private hours of tuition to pass the driving test.
Mopeds are far more dangerous than cars. You can kill somebody with a moped just as easily as you can with a car. You're much more likely to die if you ride a moped. Get those moped riders into cars and the roads will be safer for everyone involved. Once those mini-car drivers get into real cars, they'll have far more skills. They'll have a year of practice under their belts, plus their driving lessons. It'll also be a lot cheaper to learn to drive full sized cars, as you'll need fewer lessons to get to the test standard. People having more experience behind the wheel will also reduce accidents, which should (theoretically) bring down insurance for younger drivers.

The rest of Europe has been doing this for years, why not the UK?

But then again, the rest of Europe and America has insurance-per-car, rather than insurance-per-driver. I wonder if that is linked to the disproportionately bad driving in the UK in some way?
Alex17595
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No one will pay £10k just to drive a car like thing 1 year earlier
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's one thing trying to get past a moped dawdling along at 30 but getting around a car restricted to 30?
That's going to be about as much fun as being stuck behind two lorries trying to overtake one another on a duel carriage way at 55.5mph and 56mph respectively!
Pony Jack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
It's one thing trying to get past a moped dawdling along at 30 but getting around a car restricted to 30?
That's going to be about as much fun as being stuck behind two lorries trying to overtake one another on a duel carriage way at 55.5mph and 56mph respectively!
QFT. Anyone who drives these will get so much abuse for slowing everyone else down. There should be a caveat that they can't go on roads with a speed limit above 30.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Shouldn't the abuse be aimed at the Department for Transport and the insurance industry for penalising learner drivers with high costs and unnecessary laws.
member64211
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Insurance costs have been spiralling for everyone in recent years, but the young have been hit the hardest because of their higher rate of claims. On busy roads, the slightest misjudgement can result in an accident and young people have less experience with hazard perception.

The cost of claims has been drastically increasing due to the proliferation of whiplash claims. Again, everyone is paying for this not just young drivers. But insurance companies want 'easy' customers who will never make claims, and most accordingly do not want too many young drivers on their books.

These light quadricycles look interesting. Of course, like mopeds etc they would not be restricted to roads below a certain speed. All-purpose roads are for everybody's use including bicycles, horse-drawn vehicles etc. They would not be allowed on Motorways due to having too small an engine capacity.
Camoxide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's the B1 test anyway?

I'd say to be able to use one of these you need to have passed the theory and hazard perception and had at least 10 hours of tuition

I find it worrying you'll be able to drive a small car without knowing the highway code, knowing how to do manoeuvres, knowing to check your blind spot, ect...
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally, I would rather they just scrap the whole 16 for moped thing.

Kids that age are completely idiotic and try to race around on their mopeds in a dangerous manner. Sometimes you get 4-5 of them bunched up in traffic just revving and burning out their rear tyres... It's completely wrong. They should have their licences revoked.

It's very rare for me to see even a half decent moped rider. They are out there, but the percentage is stacked against them.

I think the reason for it is the speed at which they can get their CBT done. A few days to be "qualified" versus the months (or years) that it takes for a car driver to get their licence.

Fortunately, these new "city style moped cars" look ridiculous, so hopefully it will discourage most people from using them.

I think vehicle licencing should become harder and stricter, not more lax and open to everyone.
John1whitlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need a full AM licence you can't just get in and drive most people don't even go for a AM licence. AM is a FULL licence you need to pass a theory and take a full test not a provisional licence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads