Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have applied to both southampton and UCL to do electronic engineering starting in october or whenever next year starts. They have both given me an offer of ABB. I liked both of them for different reasons.

Southampton...
    Excellent facillities, Chip manafacture etc
    lots of practical work and not just maths (the course)
    friendly staff

UCL
    Wicked place to spend 4 years (London)
    staff were nice too (they insisted we called them by there first names)
    looks better on my CV? (do you think)

If I had to made the decision now i would probably choose UCL but i am not sure whether i will enjoy the course as much as soton. I've looked it up at ucl.ac.uk and they tell you what you are going to do in the couse but not the CW/exams ratio and how much lab work they do...

I visited both but when you visit 6 unis in two weeks they all crooss over a bit and you can never be sure which uni was what...

Any ideas?

thanks
    Tim

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tim,

If I were you I'd go to UCL cos

a) It's in London which is a really cool place (because I come from there);

b) UCL is considred to be one of the best unis after Oxbridge;

c) It has a very good international reputation.

I do think the University of Southampton is a very good uni, however, I think UCL is better.

Good luck in choosing your uni.

ReputationRep:
    a) London isn't cool, it's expensive and full of criminals.

b) The staff are always more friendly on open days.

c) UCL does indeed have a far better reputation.

d) UCL will work you harder, expect a very packed timetable and lots of assignments. Although you'll get a packed timetable at any decent university for engineering.

Go UCL if you want the best degree, though southampton would probably be more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    EE - Soton, easily.

Its department is rated as one of the best, if not the best, in the country for EE. If you aren't going to go into the EE industry then UCL may indeed look better on the cv, but if you are....

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Tim,
    I have got to say Southamton. I went there four years ago to do a marine biology degree and it is such a lovely uni.So nice in fact that i am going back again in October to do a maths degree.
    Let me know what you decide.
    Eve (Buddy_Holly)

(Original post by timfishy)
    i have applied to both southampton and UCL to do electronic engineering starting in october or whenever next year starts. They have both given me an offer of ABB. I liked both of them for different reasons.

Southampton...
    friendly staff

UCL
    Wicked place to spend 4 years (London)
    staff were nice too (they insisted we called them by there first names)
    looks better on my CV? (do you think)

If I had to made the decision now i would probably choose UCL but i am not sure whether i will enjoy the course as much as soton. I've looked it up at ucl.ac.uk and they tell you what you are going to do in the couse but not the CW/exams ratio and how much lab work they do...

I visited both but when you visit 6 unis in two weeks they all crooss over a bit and you can never be sure which uni was what...

Any ideas?

thanks
    Tim
    Hey Tim,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timfishy)

Southampton...
    weeks they all crooss over a bit and you can never be sure which uni was what...

Any ideas?

thanks
    Tim
    I'd pick southampton. I know UCL is generally regarded as the 'better' university but for engineering southampton's superb, whereas engineering is not one of UCL's better departments. You're going to apply for an engineering related job afterwards aren't you? Then the people that interview you will know Southampton's department is superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    a) London isn't cool
    why not? :mad:

If you intend on going into a technical profession (e.g. engineering, computing etc..) then Southampton is the obvious choice because almost all of thier technical subjects are very well respected and I'm told that employers within technical industries tend to know the reputation of departments above the reputations of the universities overall.

If however you just want a degree to go into another unrelated profession then the UCL name would go some way to getting your foot in the door.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.