Turn on thread page Beta

Studying in a US college....? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If a british student wanted to study in a US university or college, what grades would they have to have acheived....?

Or would you need to take another exam or some sort to ensure you can get in the uni/college....? And vice versa...?

Can anyone help me...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    If a british student wanted to study in a US university or college, what grades would they have to have acheived....?

Or would you need to take another exam or some sort to ensure you can get in the uni/college....? And vice versa...?

Can anyone help me...?
    Hi Heather, i have looked on some of their sites but didn';t find any useful infomation about students who have a-levels. I think the best thing is to email admissions departments and ask about their grade requirement.

ReputationRep:
    hi =)

you dont need a level grades (but once you get in, you can use your them to get credits or access to a higher course).

you have to take the SAT 1, and if you are applying to competitive schools, it is good to also take several SAT 2 's (go to www.collegeboard.com for more info). dont worry, they're not hard

usually, you're required to submit school grades from 9th to 12th year of secondary school. the grades teachers give every semester or so.. do you guys have these in UK? (sorry.. i dont know about this :P )

try downloading an application form from the specific universities you're interested in. the best way is to go to their websites; usually they have good info about international students and admission reqs (different from uni to uni)

ReputationRep:
    I've applied and they wanted to know my A-levels as well as the SAT scores. If you're aiming high, 3 SAT 2s will be necessary. (at least one in some maths is encouraged - level I, IC, IIC). I sat the SATs in London...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Kosine90..... We have SAT's in 6th & 9th grade, then in 11th is GCSES, then 12/13 it's A-Levels (I am presently doing...)

I'll have a look on a few of the uni's sites....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Thank you Kosine90..... We have SAT's in 6th & 9th grade, then in 11th is GCSES, then 12/13 it's A-Levels (I am presently doing...)

I'll have a look on a few of the uni's sites....
    LoL, I think you shouldn't confuse the two so funnily...

The US SATs is the Scholastic Aptitude Test, which is extremely hard (just the verbal part of it tho), even for English people. Anyhow - good luck.

ReputationRep:
    my mate is at the UNC on a scholarship thing that pays for everything including travelling during the summer. He is havin a ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    LoL, I think you shouldn't confuse the two so funnily...

The US SATs is the Scholastic Aptitude Test, which is extremely hard (just the verbal part of it tho), even for English people. Anyhow - good luck.
    there's a different sat in uk? what does it stand for?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to the US too, if you want to apply to the Ivies then you'll need 3 SAT IIs, and if you take maths then make sure you take IIC, anything less would make you a weak candidate. Also, I strongly reccomend taking writing. SAT Is must be taken.

btw, SAt no longer stands for anything IIRC - it used to stand for scholatic aptitude test and then it changes several times but after a lot of controversy (over exactly what it measured) ithe collegeboard made it so it didnt stand for anything.

One point: Yale will take COMPLETED A-Level grades (not predicted) in place of SAT IIs.

The SAT in the UK is for Year 8 students? No, younger I think.

If anyone wants any help I can help out since I finished all the apps in December last year, and have had all US interviews as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjoshi64)

The SAT in the UK is for Year 8 students? No, younger I think.
    I did mine in Year 6 & 9.....Year 7 get a CAT exam (Simular to a SAT)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.