Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Over the last week the Far Eastern media (yes people still use that phrase) have been pushing the line that entry to Brit unis will get a lot harder. The reason: competition for places from the influx of highly motivated, English speaking, East Europeans from the 10 or so new EC countries...

Any views on this?

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Over the last week the Far Eastern media (yes people still use that phrase) have been pushing the line that entry to Brit unis will get a lot harder. The reason: competition for places from the influx of highly motivated, English speaking, East Europeans from the 10 or so new EC countries...

Any views on this?

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites
    Well if it gets harder because universities want to recruit the best students then so be it, you've got to compete on a larger scale when you go for job interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this all just media hype because they're so anti EU expansion? There's no evidence people will actually come, esp considering costs.

ReputationRep:
    This really is rubbish.

The vast majority of people living in the prospective EU countries are way too poor to financially sustain an education in Britain. The very small minority that can afford to live in Britain would not necessarily want to study in Britain anyway. There are also universities in France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Sweden, etc, etc...

However, if I were you I'd sell this story to the Sun/Express/Daily Mail. They're always up for a bit of bigoted foreigner-bashing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    This really is rubbish.

The vast majority of people living in the prospective EU countries are way too poor to financially sustain an education in Britain. The very small minority that can afford to live in Britain would not necessarily want to study in Britain anyway. There are also universities in France, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Sweden, etc, etc...

However, if I were you I'd sell this story to the Sun/Express/Daily Mail. They're always up for a bit of bigoted foreigner-bashing.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Well said.
    Not well said, Bigcnee. There are loads of scholarships available, and the EU will be eager to get the new countries linked in to the system-getting people into universities is one way of doing that...

ReputationRep:
    Not well said, Bigcnee. There are loads of scholarships available, and the EU will be eager to get the new countries linked in to the system-getting people into universities is one way of doing that...
    All things being equal there is bound to be an increase in the numbers applying to British universities because of the EU expansion going ahead on May 1st. Students from the new entrant countries are going to be encouraged by the fee reduction programmes, based on government subsidies, and for this reason will be attracted to British Universities. One might argue that entry into Britsh universities will become harder due in the most part because of the sheer numbers increase of students applying.

However at this point i would like to add my opinion that the standards required for entry are going to have to increase in order to filter the increased number of EU applicants applying. This in turn means that generally in the most popular universities only those UK applicants who intellectually deserve to be at university will make the grade. Role on EU expansion!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there will be an influx. Anyway, I was more concurring with Kingslaws comment on the ridiculous Xenophobic media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrydone)
    All things being equal there is bound to be an increase in the numbers applying to British universities because of the EU expansion going ahead on May 1st. Students from the new entrant countries are going to be encouraged by the fee reduction programmes, based on government subsidies, and for this reason will be attracted to British Universities. One might argue that entry into Britsh universities will become harder due in the most part because of the sheer numbers increase of students applying.

However at this point i would like to add my opinion that the standards required for entry are going to have to increase in order to filter the increased number of EU applicants applying. This in turn means that generally in the most popular universities only those UK applicants who intellectually deserve to be at university will make the grade. Role on EU expansion!
    Instead of other, closer EU countries where living costs are cheaper and there are no fees ? :confused:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.