When would you look for your 2nd year house? Watch

SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been advised to start looking for my own house for the second year of uni, but I'm wondering what sort of timeline I should be working to, and how to go about finding house mates.

Obviously, I have my major group of friends and I'll ask them first, but I'd also like to get some friends together from other friendship groups. But the two groups have never really met, so it would only benefit me.

I'm also worried about putting down a deposit soon, just incase I, or the proposed house mates, should fail the year. I suppose even if they had to resit the year they could come live with us, but if they completely drop out of uni, where does that leave the other house mates? I don't have any reason to believe that they would drop out, but it could happen - We do have January exams and assessments, so maybe we could use this to eyeball who is likely to be here next year?

So when should we start looking? I'd like to get a nice house and not be left with the rubbish ones after everyone else has bought theirs.

How many people to a house? 4 to 6? How many is too many? My step brother has just one house mate in the third year (plus his girlfriend just moved in there too), but presumably you want more in the second year?

When should we put down a deposit for it?

Cheers
yhal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I was where you are, there were ten of us in our halls who split pretty easily into two groups of 5 for houses after a bit of a talk, and we decided that before we left for Christmas. We looked over christmas at what was about, came back and in revision time for January exams, booked a few viewings and had signed before the end of Jan.

The sooner the better to start looking really. It may make a difference on who you want to live with, no point having a group of 6 if there are only 4 bed student houses in the area you want to live.
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by yhal)
When I was where you are, there were ten of us in our halls who split pretty easily into two groups of 5 for houses after a bit of a talk, and we decided that before we left for Christmas. We looked over christmas at what was about, came back and in revision time for January exams, booked a few viewings and had signed before the end of Jan.

The sooner the better to start looking really. It may make a difference on who you want to live with, no point having a group of 6 if there are only 4 bed student houses in the area you want to live.
I will try and speak to a few people this week then. Just to get the ball rolling.

How did you find your housing vacancies? I'm checking Zoopla and Rightmove at the moment.
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SillyEddy)
I have been advised to start looking for my own house for the second year of uni, but I'm wondering what sort of timeline I should be working to, and how to go about finding house mates.

Obviously, I have my major group of friends and I'll ask them first, but I'd also like to get some friends together from other friendship groups. But the two groups have never really met, so it would only benefit me.

I'm also worried about putting down a deposit soon, just incase I, or the proposed house mates, should fail the year. I suppose even if they had to resit the year they could come live with us, but if they completely drop out of uni, where does that leave the other house mates? I don't have any reason to believe that they would drop out, but it could happen - We do have January exams and assessments, so maybe we could use this to eyeball who is likely to be here next year?

So when should we start looking? I'd like to get a nice house and not be left with the rubbish ones after everyone else has bought theirs.

How many people to a house? 4 to 6? How many is too many? My step brother has just one house mate in the third year (plus his girlfriend just moved in there too), but presumably you want more in the second year?

When should we put down a deposit for it?

Cheers
You should normally ask for separate contracts, so you aren't jointly liable for the rent and someone dropping out is there problem. However, most people pass uni, it really isn't that hard to get 40%.

I've lived with 7 both years, most seem to live with between 3-8 a house. 9 or more would probably be pretty distracting.

When to look varies by uni. Ask your SU if they have a list of approved landlords and just go in and ask what houses they have.

You'll have to pay your deposit immediately to secure the house, make sure your LL puts it into a deposit protection scheme.

Finally, it's worth coughing up a few quid to register your interest in the house, as otherwise the landlord could sell it between now and when you move in and there's nothing you can so.
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by roh)
Finally, it's worth coughing up a few quid to register your interest in the house, as otherwise the landlord could sell it between now and when you move in and there's nothing you can so.
Well, I'd have to put a lot of dosh into it to try to secure a house/apartment for next September. As far as I know, people will be spending their summers back home. We couldn't pay enough to make it worth while for the landlord or agency to want to wait 6-9 months for us to move in.

Do most people buy it ready for September? Some have said they're accepting student applications for next July or so. It doesn't seem right to be paying for 2 months of housing if we're not even going to be there!
avash27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friends and I looked really late, starting in June for a flat for three. We found something fairly quickly though, great location, bills included starting in September. And this was in London as well. I recommend not following our example though, it was really rushed and we didn't have a lot of time for viewings. We found our flat the last day before we left to go home for the summer holidays... not ideal!
PonchoKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for both my second and third year we had sorted our houses out before christmas, for 2nd year we were in a big house of 12, all from different unis and colleges in the area, and for third year we downsized to 3 of us.

id suggest going to a company that deals with student housing, if you have any maintenance issues there usually there to sort it out as soon as possible, and with my company all our bills are part of our rent.

our tenency goes from the 1st of september through to the 17th of august or something, but as we stayed with the same company this year from last we were able to move our stuff from one house to the other on the same day and stored it in there till we moved back to uni in the september.

start looking at houses now, most of the companies have websites where the houses are listed so you can look at how many rooms and what not. and also with my company, if someone dropped out, they found another letter not you, which is good.
roh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, I'd have to put a lot of dosh into it to try to secure a house/apartment for next September. As far as I know, people will be spending their summers back home. We couldn't pay enough to make it worth while for the landlord or agency to want to wait 6-9 months for us to move in.

Do most people buy it ready for September? Some have said they're accepting student applications for next July or so. It doesn't seem right to be paying for 2 months of housing if we're not even going to be there!
Most agents will rent you a 12 month contract from July-June with you signing now in houses which they rent to students every year. The landlord doesn't need you to pay, they have a load of students in it currently who will leave when their lease comes up at the end of June.

Some will offer half rent over summer so long as it's uninhabited.

You could just come back in Sept and get a rolling lease, starting then and hope the LL doesn't end it before July, or try to get a fixed term one starting Sept but there will be fewer houses available and thus less choice. It'd be up to you and your housemates whether you wanted to do that or not.
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PonchoKid)
start looking at houses now, most of the companies have websites where the houses are listed so you can look at how many rooms and what not. and also with my company, if someone dropped out, they found another letter not you, which is good.
Do you find that companies will be advertising now for rentals which are expiring in 6 months or so? I just can't see them setting aside a property for next Summer right away. I have found a few that I really like, I just need to see who wants to go and have a look at them... And get some insight about what sorts of questions to ask, etc.
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
(Original post by roh)
Most agents will rent you a 12 month contract from July-June with you signing now in houses which they rent to students every year. The landlord doesn't need you to pay, they have a load of students in it currently who will leave when their lease comes up at the end of June.

Some will offer half rent over summer so long as it's uninhabited.

You could just come back in Sept and get a rolling lease, starting then and hope the LL doesn't end it before July, or try to get a fixed term one starting Sept but there will be fewer houses available and thus less choice. It'd be up to you and your housemates whether you wanted to do that or not.
I think the objective (for the sorts of people I'm thinking of teaming up with) is to do a placement year in the third year - And that means we could be anywhere in the country at that stage! Ideally, I'd like to settle down and live in one place for the next few years. It just depends how everything goes.

So the possibility to extend the contract would be ideal... But equally, escaping from it (if I need to move back home for my placement) is a must. That'll definitely go on the checklist.
roh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the objective (for the sorts of people I'm thinking of teaming up with) is to do a placement year in the third year - And that means we could be anywhere in the country at that stage! Ideally, I'd like to settle down and live in one place for the next few years. It just depends how everything goes.

So the possibility to extend the contract would be ideal... But equally, escaping from it (if I need to move back home for my placement) is a must. That'll definitely go on the checklist.
Well if you're a Fresher now that's no problem, most landlords wouldn't want to sign a lease for more than 12 months with students anyway.

Be more of a problem next year as you might not know who has placements or not until Easter time.
PonchoKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you find that companies will be advertising now for rentals which are expiring in 6 months or so? I just can't see them setting aside a property for next Summer right away. I have found a few that I really like, I just need to see who wants to go and have a look at them... And get some insight about what sorts of questions to ask, etc.
yes, companies start booking up houses now for next year, if your looking at moving in over summer it might be a different story though, as most contracts start on the first of decemeber. but yeah start looking at houses now, and a group you want to move in and look at them together.

id ask the companies about bills, washers and dryers, if the tv license is part of it, if you get a tv with the house... that was our questions really
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
yes, companies start booking up houses now for next year, if your looking at moving in over summer it might be a different story though, as most contracts start on the first of decemeber. but yeah start looking at houses now, and a group you want to move in and look at them together.

id ask the companies about bills, washers and dryers, if the tv license is part of it, if you get a tv with the house... that was our questions really
December? Wow, that's late. I've seen a few advertising for July starters. I would've thought the norm be the summer - It is a largely student populated city. I guess my mileage may vary.
PonchoKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
December? Wow, that's late. I've seen a few advertising for July starters. I would've thought the norm be the summer - It is a largely student populated city. I guess my mileage may vary.
i meant september. ooops haha, its been a long day.

naa most generally start september time i think, cos thos already living in the flat can stay over summer, iv been able to stay in both my houses till around the 17th august, so i dont want anyone moving into my room before then!
yhal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The general way is that houses go to students every year so landlords start advertising early if they know their current students are moving out so they won't be left with an empty house come the summer and will have new tenants signed up ready.

I stayed in the same house for 2nd and 3rd year and we had to make the decision on whether to stay or not before the end of the first term to let the agent know if it was to be re-advertised.

I went with a company, which was slightly more expensive but they were pretty good when it came to repairs etc. I've only ever rented through agents, both at uni and since graduating. If you're going via a private landlord, ask the current tenants if you can how they are with repairs/problems.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i meant september. ooops haha, its been a long day.

naa most generally start september time i think, cos thos already living in the flat can stay over summer, iv been able to stay in both my houses till around the 17th august, so i dont want anyone moving into my room before then!
that really depends on the area- here in Norwich most of the contracts start on the 1st July so that final year students have as little council tax to pay as possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (122)
69.32%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.32%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
11.36%

Watched Threads