The Student Room Group

Driving lessons with my dad until my test...would this work?

I've had the worst luck when it comes to driving instructors.

First one had to drop me because he was "allergic to my dogs" (and since ages ago a user said "Don't have them in the car with you" I would like to point out that I am not that attached to my dogs that they have to come on driving lessons with me.... it was the fur on my clothes). The second one kept stopping me half an hour in so he could have a cigarette and he was just so rude I couldn't relax. Third one I actually really liked - she was amazing, but I ended up having to do work experience for a month for my Uni course and by the time I came back she was booked up, so I opted to go with her friend... Her friend is terrible!!!! I am not getting anywhere with her, and she is so unprofessional when it comes to keeping track of my progress and so on. It's costing me £40 a week and I am not advancing at all, although the other one (who worked along side the police to help rehabilitate drivers who have had accidents or their licenses removed) said I was a really good driver, and only a short while away from my test. The one I have now seems to have 0 confidence in me, which is having a knock-on effect. (At one point she expected me to turn into a junction when a car was approaching at about 40mph, she kept saying "Go go" when the car was literally 2 seconds away and when I decided to stop to wait she sat there sighing :mad: I thought she would have preferred that to her car being rammed into, but ah well...)

(Rant over!)
Sooo... I bought a car. A Suzuki Swift (named Susie because I am just *that* awesome) and got to thinking last night. My dad was concerned about learner driver insurance, but I worked out that it is actually cheaper to spend £50/£80 a month on insurance than to spend £160 a month for driving lessons which aren't getting me anywhere. The plan was to go out with my dad in the car, brush up everything, and then take the test using the Suzuki, as opposed to spending months with these lessons which seem to have no end in sight.

Yes? No? Terrible idea? I am happy to drive with my dad. He'll get me further than my current driving instructor would.
Reply 1
I'd look for another instructor tbh, having a good intructor makes a big difference.

-They may know the test centre inside and out, and be friendly with the testers.
-They will know the test routes quite well and take you on them.
- They will eliminate bad habits, that an experienced driver like your dad may have developed
Reply 2
It's best to do both really.
Reply 3
My mum taught me after I'd gone through two instructors I didn't like. I dreaded every lesson and I couldn't relax when I was in a lesson so I didn't think they were very helpful. I had already done one test before this so really it wasn't teaching me anything new but allowing me more practice. I think I did get better through this method but I still failed the next two tests then quit driving.
Reply 4
Both, without the instructor you might pick up bad habits, because the driving instructor knows exactly what you need to know for the test. I did practice with a family member and had a break from instructors and picked up bad habits...
ask your friends who they their lessons from, also I am surprised its 40 quid, do you have two hour lessons? if so, you could cut down to an hour per week, if its two hours then cutting it to an hour would mean you spend less money and the chances are your concentration goes after the first hour so you are prob wasting the second hour.
Reply 6
You'll probably start picking up bad habbits once you've had enough lessons. I started picking up the "normal" driving habbits not long before passing my test. However of course my instructor pointed these out and told me not to do it.
Reply 7
Original post by sludgevalley
ask your friends who they their lessons from, also I am surprised its 40 quid, do you have two hour lessons? if so, you could cut down to an hour per week, if its two hours then cutting it to an hour would mean you spend less money and the chances are your concentration goes after the first hour so you are prob wasting the second hour.

Believe me I've tried. She keeps booking me in for two hours and then showing up, despite me telling her that I didn't want two hours.

I swear she is only trying to get money off me. I've done everything, and what did she "teach" me today? Turning right and moving off. People say maybe she's refining things, but she isn't - she's going over them like it is the first time for me, and I am not happy.

I will maybe try to find another to just have an hour with... 5th driving instructor... wow... surely this is a record? :tongue:
Original post by x-Listen-x

First one had to drop me because he was "allergic to my dogs" (and since ages ago a user said "Don't have them in the car with you" I would like to point out that I am not that attached to my dogs that they have to come on driving lessons with me.... it was the fur on my clothes). The second one kept stopping me half an hour in so he could have a cigarette and he was just so rude I couldn't relax. Third one I actually really liked - she was amazing, but I ended up having to do work experience for a month for my Uni course and by the time I came back she was booked up, so I opted to go with her friend... Her friend is terrible!!!! I am not getting anywhere with her, and she is so unprofessional when it comes to keeping track of my progress and so on. It's costing me £40 a week and I am not advancing at all, although the other one (who worked along side the police to help rehabilitate drivers who have had accidents or their licenses removed) said I was a really good driver, and only a short while away from my test. The one I have now seems to have 0 confidence in me, which is having a knock-on effect. (At one point she expected me to turn into a junction when a car was approaching at about 40mph, she kept saying "Go go" when the car was literally 2 seconds away and when I decided to stop to wait she sat there sighing :mad: I thought she would have preferred that to her car being rammed into, but ah well...)

(Rant over!)
Sooo... I bought a car. A Suzuki Swift (named Susie because I am just *that* awesome) and got to thinking last night. My dad was concerned about learner driver insurance, but I worked out that it is actually cheaper to spend £50/£80 a month on insurance than to spend £160 a month for driving lessons which aren't getting me anywhere. The plan was to go out with my dad in the car, brush up everything, and then take the test using the Suzuki, as opposed to spending months with these lessons which seem to have no end in sight.

Yes? No? Terrible idea? I am happy to drive with my dad. He'll get me further than my current driving instructor would.

A girl i work with did that.
She ditched her first instructor as she didnt teach her anything- and did tricks like not letting her go above 3rd gear etc. The second one was good, but when it came to her being ready for her test, he wouldnt let her book it, he just kept making her have more lessons.
She already had a car to practice in, do practised with her dad and did her test in her car. She then passed first time.
Reply 9
Practicing with family is good BUT its worth paying an ADI for 30 mins of their time so they can advise the family member first
Reply 10
I don't think you can take the test in your own car either - I think it has to be dual controlled.
Original post by sabian92
I don't think you can take the test in your own car either - I think it has to be dual controlled.

you don't have to have a dual control car unless it's a hire car.

https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/rules-for-cars-used-for-driving-tests

there's all your information OP.
Original post by x-Listen-x

(Rant over!)

where did you hear of the instructors? You should use an instructor that was been recommended by someone you know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending