The Student Room Group

Hoorah! Read my finished essay. You can correct my awful punctuation if you want!

In the the light of the reporting leading up to the war with Iraq, to what extent are the media to blame for the diminishing trust people are said to have in politicians?

Politicians lie, fact. Other examples of such certainties are, people die, Santa doesn’t exist and Jim is incapable of fixing it. Nowadays, people have an increasingly deep distrust for “politicians” and although it seems to be becoming more apparent why, it’s not a new idea. Since the invention of government, people have disagreed with what they say, the actions they take and the expensive wallpaper they spend our taxes on. So when the issue of war with Iraq came up, the public were sceptical of what the politicians were saying.

“We have reason to believe that Saddam Hussein is supplying weapons of mass destruction to terrorist networks...” that’s what was said. They believe that he had them, despite having millions of pounds invested in a satellite that could read a newspaper headline off a street in London from space. They couldn’t actually find them; they just believed he had them. That wasn’t going to sit well with the CND and anti-war supporters who weren’t big fans in the first place.

It was dangerous territory. They could increase tax, annoy us by making us spend six pence extra a year. They could invest in more speed cameras but they were talking about taking troops into battle, people’s lives. Partners, parents, children and make them cannon fodder for this monster the media and government had created. Was it really worth it for something that was believed”?

So when public support wasn’t as high as they’d wanted, the media was blamed. The BBC "poisoning" the British public with their conscientious objectors’ beliefs. They painted a picture of a political system that was full of corruption and heresy. It just wasn’t “British” (or “European”, or whatever club Tony Blair wanted to join that week).

The media, in the interest of informing the people and increasing their circulation highlighted the downfalls of the government and questioned every choice they made. (If it’s not hard enough running a country and preparing for a war you have to have the world’s press on your back as well!)

So who was to blame for the trust in politicians taking a dive? Was it the government themselves? The government are very good at shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to certain aspects, but they’re probably less corrupt than hundreds of years ago. They have to be careful nowadays because the press watch their every move. The media? The media would be one of the obvious suspects. Digging up anything to sell papers, but the papers wouldn’t say anything untrue. There are laws; they can’t print anything that was just made up. What about the public? With threats of terrorism, Al-Qaeda and other unspeakable terrors fuelled by the government and media, no wonder we were losing trust in those that control us. To a certain extent the media were to blame for the diminished trust in politicians, but they could only be guilty for placing the evidence into the public domain for us to make our own assumptions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Danithestudent
So when public support wasn’t as high as they’d wanted, the media was blamed. The BBC "poisoning" the British public with their conscientious objectors’ beliefs. They painted a picture our political system was full of corruption and heresy. It just wasn’t “British” (or “European”, or whatever club Tony Blair wanted to join that week).

If v good, there's just one sentence that doesn't read quite right to me- 'They painted a picture our political system was full of corruption and heresy'- I'd be inclined to say something like 'They painted a picture of a political system which was (or 'is', not sure) full of corruption and heresy'. But other than than, it's really good :smile: What subject is this for??
Reply 2
Danithestudent

Politicians lie, fact. Along with, people die, Santa doesn?t exist and Jim won?t fix it for you.

Good essay, I enjoyed reading it. One slight criticism may be with the above sentance. It didn't really flow particularly well for me... and maybe I am alone in thinking that in which case fair enough!

It *might* read better if you wrote:

Politicians lie, fact. Other certainties in life include people dying, Santa being a fallacy, and Jim being incapable of fixing it.

Then again maybe it was better as it was.

Good essay though!
Tednol
Good essay, I enjoyed reading it. One slight criticism may be with the above sentance. It didn't really flow particularly well for me... and maybe I am alone in thinking that in which case fair enough!

It *might* read better if you wrote:

Politicians lie, fact. Other certainties in life include people dying, Santa being a fallacy, and Jim being incapable of fixing it.

Then again maybe it was better as it was.

Good essay though!

keep the first bit as it is- its gr8!!
well done!!
xx
Tednol I have this from that:
Politicians lie, fact. Other examples of such certainties are, people die, Santa doesn’t exist and Jim being incapable of fixing it.

The only thing resembling a fallacy the Sun readers would know is that clever word for penis!
And Suz brilliant thank you, took your advice, it definetly reads better!
Thank you! Everybody on here has been a HUMONGOUS MASSIVE LARGIN' IT help. You are all STARS!!!!
:biggrin:
Reply 6
Danithestudent
Politicians lie, fact. Other examples of such certainties are, people die, Santa doesn?t exist and Jim being incapable of fixing it.

Terrific. Perfection has just been improved on!
suz19
If v good, there's just one sentence that doesn't read quite right to me- 'They painted a picture our political system was full of corruption and heresy'- I'd be inclined to say something like 'They painted a picture of a political system which was (or 'is', not sure) full of corruption and heresy'. But other than than, it's really good :smile: What subject is this for??

Howsabout that : "They painted a picture of a political system that was full of corruption and heresy"
Danithestudent
Howsabout that : "They painted a picture of a political system that was full of corruption and heresy"

I don't care if the target audience would think I was referring to a very bad pop group that broke up, I love that word heresy hehe
Reply 9
Danithestudent

That sounds better :smile: You did want us to be picky didn't you?? Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed that out cos the whole essay's really good.
suz19
That sounds better :smile: You did want us to be picky didn't you?? Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed that out cos the whole essay's really good.

Pedantic=Thorough
Reply 11
Danithestudent
Politicians lie, fact. Other examples of such certainties are, people die, Santa doesn’t exist and Jim being incapable of fixing it.

It might read more fluently if you say 'Other examples of such certainties are people dying, Santa not existing and Jim being incapable of fixing it.'

Sorry if I'm being pedantic; just trying to help =)

Otherwise it reads really well :smile:
grey faerie
It might read more fluently if you say 'Other examples of such certainties are people dying, Santa not existing and Jim being incapable of fixing it.'

Sorry if I'm being pedantic; just trying to help =)

Otherwise it reads really well :smile:

yeah I tried it that way but, you ever hear that song "Everybody's free (to wear sunscreen)"? It's like a list, sad facts of life,
People Die,
Santa doesn't exist,
Jim is incapable of fixing it,
Politicians lie.

Thank you for being pedantic though!
Reply 13
I would give you a C for that essay. :smile:
Reply 14
Quite interesting point of view but not a good essay.

Why?

Because it has no references.
"politicians lie". hmm, it's too general phrase.
Bestes
Quite interesting point of view but not a good essay.

Why?

Because it has no references.
"politicians lie". hmm, it's too general phrase.

Duh! It's supposed to be a comment piece in a newspaper not an essay as such
Reply 16
wait wait wait wait wait wait, Santa doesn't exist?
Daveo

Lol my friend read it, said it was brilliant then thumped me over the head claiming that every time that's read a fairy dies.....I know, my friends are weird
Reply 18
Daveo

LOL :biggrin: I was quite upset that Jim won't fix it, I was counting on him (lying toad) :tongue:
Reply 19
Danithestudent
Lol my friend read it, said it was brilliant then thumped me over the head claiming that every time that's read a fairy dies.....I know, my friends are weird

LOL - But no, really... Does santa not exist?

Latest

Trending

Trending