University of Manchester or University of Liverpool?

Watch
Ba123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay so I've been offered conditionals at both unis and I'm completely torn between the two! When I went to Liverpool I loved the culture and the uni was in a great location, people were friendly and I loved it there. On first impressions it was my first choice however when i went to see Manchester I loved it for different reasons - huge student union, John Rylands library was beautiful and various other reasons. So I was almost hoping I'd be offered one and not the other so the decision would be easy! (Obviously I'm so grateful and lucky to have been offered both) but I'm really struggling. Luckily I've got a while to decide but I'd just like people's opinions. I want something diverse, a city where I can get a taste of everything. Which one is denser? And nightlife wise It'd be nice to be somewhere with a huge selection, from s****y expensive clubs to much less so. I think variety is what I'm trying to say! Anyone who knows the cities well want to help me out?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester does have an incredible variety of nightlife - I always thought Bristol was good, but then I moved to Manchester! Standard club entry (at least, at the clubs students tend to go to) is £5, but drink prices are quite variable.

As a student at Manchester, everything you'll need or want (and I do mean everything - halls, shopping, jobs, nightlife, sports facilities and the uni itself) is along a 3 mile stretch of road (Oxford / Wilmslow Road) that is reckoned to be the busiest bus route in Europe, where £215 gets you unlimited bus travel throughout Greater Manchester for the whole year.

There's a lot of ethnic diversity - the Curry Mile and Chinatown are both within the areas that students frequent, and are purveyors of cheap food. There's also a lot of diversity in terms of sports and societies offered.
deuxchatsnoirs
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Liverpool is great for nightlife - so much choice, and so cheap. On a Monday in the Raz, you could do a whole night out for a tenner. (£1.50 entry and 90p a pint)

The uni campus is all in one place and not spread around the city which is handy.

The guild is getting a massive refurbishment that will be ready for your year's intake I think.

Loads of culture and history here; so many museums, the docks, Mathew Street...

Great shopping in Liverpool One

Scousers are ridiculously friendly!
Ba123
Rep:
?
I think I'm definitely going to have to go back to both cities to make a decision. Thank you both

TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester rocks
username865376
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Both are fantastic cities in terms of nightlife, retail and culture.

Manchester has a great range of shops in the City Centre and of course the Trafford Centre in the suburbs, which you can get to from the university area via a tram. Plus, there's so many places to eat out - i.e. Chinatown, the Curry Mile etc. If you're into cultural attractions, there's also plenty to do.

Liverpool is also good in terms of retail - in the last few years the City Centre has been completely demolished and replaced with all new shops based around a Trafford Centre-like shopping centre, called Liverpool One. It, like Manchester, has a brilliant nightlife, and a great array of cultural and dining places.

I'm a little biased being from Liverpool (:wink2:), but it's personal choice really and you'll get a good student experience in both cities.
feghdan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I live in Manchester but I have applied for Liverpool .
Liverpool city center is way more attractive and more beautiful and interesting than Manchester city center especially with Ferry cross the Mersey which gives it a definite privilege . in terms of culture , music and night life , i'd say Liverpool is a whole another world . in 2008 the city was nominated as European capital of culture .
Liverpool is a mixture of old and new , where you can find clubs ,bars and pubs with hundreds of years history behind them . hundreds of bars and clubs with live music and variety of choices from pop to jazz .
Liverpool is one of the most cost efficient cities of England and also the cheapest city for students to live where you can get a pint of beer for just £1.
the student union of Liverpool is also the biggest in the whole Uk with having just more than 100 non sporting societies .
The Manchester campus is also nothing to be compared with Liverpool campus . you cant really see and define the campus of Manchester as it's buildings scattered in an area within a region near city center but Liverpool campus is like a big city on its own , a massive area with shopping stores , pubs , cafes , fitness and leisure centres , hall of residences and different buildings . and the campus is located in the city center of Liverpool . so it's like a city within another city .
and the most important reason why I prefer going to Liverpool and not Manchester is that the Liverpool university recently spent £ 600 millions for renovating some of the resident halls , buildings and the campus . they also build a new state of the art resident hall , and new massive cutting edge labs and buildings .
by the way , what course have you applied for ?
greenwalton16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Liverpool is more attractive in terms of architecture and friendliness. It is cheaper and has great nightlife. Its the better tourist destination. I have lived between both for about ten years. I love Liverpool BUT Manchester is the better city. More progressive, optimistic and future looking. The nightlife is great and varied, depending what you're interested in and Manchester has great potential for the future as you can get work where Liverpool is quite downbeat and sometimes I feel a great "has been" city.
Ba123
Rep:
?
I've decided to drive up to Manchester on Tuesday and stay until Thursday and then cross over to Liverpool until Saturday. (I live in London so better to get them both in one go). I've applied to English at both uni's but I've also applied to do English and Modern History at Liverpool, which is also a bonus as it gives me a little variety. I think at the moment I like Liverpool because it is quite dense and I like being able to walk everywhere, plus cheaper and amazing atmosphere. I've just got a gut feeling about it but I've only been to both places once so that could still all change. To me it looks like either city would be great to live in and luckily they're close together so I'll get to see both whichever one I go to (provided I get those grades)
any of you guys at either of the unis/applying to them?
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ba123)
I've decided to drive up to Manchester on Tuesday and stay until Thursday and then cross over to Liverpool until Saturday. (I live in London so better to get them both in one go). I've applied to English at both uni's but I've also applied to do English and Modern History at Liverpool, which is also a bonus as it gives me a little variety. I think at the moment I like Liverpool because it is quite dense and I like being able to walk everywhere, plus cheaper and amazing atmosphere. I've just got a gut feeling about it but I've only been to both places once so that could still all change. To me it looks like either city would be great to live in and luckily they're close together so I'll get to see both whichever one I go to (provided I get those grades)
I'm a current student at Manchester. As you're going to be in Manchester on a Wednesday, I'd suggest going on a tour of Fallowfield accommodation in the morning, and then a main campus tour in the afternoon. Make sure you pre-book though
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...odation-tours/
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...r-individuals/
feghdan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ba123)
I have applied for MEng civil engineering , Liverpool university .
what grades do you need ?
Ba123
Rep:
?
Thanks Origami Bullets I'll book .
They've offered me ABB, you?

feghdan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
AAB . and cuz I am in my gap year and already got my grades , hopefully I will be given my offer soon .
I sent my ucas a week ago . how long did it take to get your offer from Liverpool ?
Ba123
Rep:
?
Oh that's cool, congrats on your grades they're so good took em a week to get back to me. My friend's in a similar position to you and it took her about a week and a half

River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by feghdan)
i'd say Liverpool is a whole another world . in 2008 the city was nominated as European capital of culture .
In 2003 it was actually awarded European Capital of Culture 2008, taking the title instead of the favourite (Newcastle-Gateshead). Really the Capital of Culture title is often given to former industrial cities who have chosen the heritage and cultural sectors in order to redevelop. It alone doesn't mean Liverpool is head and shoulders one of the cultural destinations in Europe, and it could have easily gone to two or three other cities. This isn't to dismiss what you said about Liverpool, for it is one of our most attractive cities (alongside Newcastle and Bath), but I wouldn't say it's streets ahead of Manchester in terms of culture and heritage.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love Manchester, and I visit Liverpool on a regular basis. Both are fantastic cities and universities.

Personally, I prefer Liverpool. That's just personal preference. I Love the day time in Liverpool, and the restaurant scene. In Manchester I live on the curry mile, and the food is fantastic here too, but I prefer the restaurant culture that is much more dominant in Liverpool than Manchester.

The night life in Manchester is, I have to say, better than Liverpool. But the difference is, in Man you tend to go to one club and stick with it, Liverpool has at least the benefit of being able to trawl between them and a shade cheaper.

Living costs are cheaper, generally speaking, in Liverpool. Travel is alot better in Manchester in my experience, but both have fantastic bus services (And that's coming from a london tube addict).

I know both of these cities intimately, having lived in both, and if you want to know anything in particular just /quote me. I like to think I'm fairly impartial, being a foreigner in this northern land, but I might just be 'Grass is all greener'

Edit:

Why not add a poll?
username474976
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was in the same position and chose Liverpool. I think it comes down to size: do you want to be in a massive city like Manchester or a relatively small city like Liverpool? For me, the benefit of the latter is that everything is within reach - you can go walk 5 minutes from campus and go shopping in Liverpool One, then take a five minute walk to Hope Street which has some of the nicest restaurants in the UK, or across the road from L1 is the albert docks with more restaurants, bars, museums and the echo arena.

Manchester is great and I enjoy myself every time I visit, but it's too spread out (that's a big difference you'll notice between Liverpool's and Manchester's nightlife) and I don't think it's quite as attractive (Liverpool has over 2500 listed buildings).
Ba123
Rep:
?
It really does mean a lot to me to be in a place with beautiful sights. I mean I wanna be somewhere with a good atmosphere and diverse nightlife too but I want to be able to look around! I also really like the idea of being in a small place, london's huge and having to get the tube everywhere can be a little tedious. It might be nice to be somewhere small for a change. As well as that, id create a poll bit I'm fairly new to this and DIdnt know that I could do that!

Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I love Manchester, and I visit Liverpool on a regular basis. Both are fantastic cities and universities.

Personally, I prefer Liverpool. That's just personal preference. I Love the day time in Liverpool, and the restaurant scene. In Manchester I live on the curry mile, and the food is fantastic here too, but I prefer the restaurant culture that is much more dominant in Liverpool than Manchester.

The night life in Manchester is, I have to say, better than Liverpool. But the difference is, in Man you tend to go to one club and stick with it, Liverpool has at least the benefit of being able to trawl between them and a shade cheaper.

Living costs are cheaper, generally speaking, in Liverpool. Travel is alot better in Manchester in my experience, but both have fantastic bus services (And that's coming from a london tube addict).

I know both of these cities intimately, having lived in both, and if you want to know anything in particular just /quote me. I like to think I'm fairly impartial, being a foreigner in this northern land, but I might just be 'Grass is all greener'

Edit:

Why not add a poll?
Good to have a Londoner's point of view. I will be asking you questions in the coming months as I willl have to choose between the cities this winter.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ba123)
It really does mean a lot to me to be in a place with beautiful sights. I mean I wanna be somewhere with a good atmosphere and diverse nightlife too but I want to be able to look around! I also really like the idea of being in a small place, london's huge and having to get the tube everywhere can be a little tedious. It might be nice to be somewhere small for a change. As well as that, id create a poll bit I'm fairly new to this and DIdnt know that I could do that!

Which one did you choose?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (109)
35.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
13.49%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (18)
5.92%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.53%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.53%

Watched Threads