Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop putting Durham down on this forum. What exactly is the problem with it? In fact, I find some comments highly offensive, particularly the references to Oxbridge 'failures'. As a person who was not offered a place at Oxford or Cambridge and who is on the brink of accepting an offer from Durham, I would like to stress that it is not a negative feature of Durham (or Bristol) that it attracts people who did not get accepted at either of these institutions- in fact, it means that there are a lot of extremely intelligent and likeminded people there, many of whom were turned down for reasons that were not their fault. I was turned down by Oxford to read Psychology...I won 2 county scholar awards, have 4 A's at A level (excluding general studies), 7A*s and 6A's at GCSE and...SCORED 100% OVERALL IN MY PSYCHOLOGY A LEVEL. I also correctly answered the problems at interview, like thousands of other disappointed candidates in this country. Would you say that I was a 'failure'?
    The point is, is that 'us lot' have to go to uni SOMEWHERE and to add to that, somewhere where we know people will have similar abilities- or do you expect us to all sink into oblivion after being turned down?

ReputationRep:
    Ooo can of worms!
    You better duck love!

ReputationRep:
    I do understand where you're coming from because I too was rejected by Cambridge and initially very upset but after that I figured that I would have to move on, and naturally Durham became one of my choice unis.

Many people in this forum have very funny ideas of their own, so you needn't worry to much about them. *hugs*... deep down in their hearts, everyone knows that Durham is reputable and academically strong, so with your qualifications, you should do very well there.

Take care! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    But why didn't you get 8 A*s ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    But why didn't you get 8 A*s ? :confused:
    Leave her be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    Leave her be

Sorry, couldn't resist

I totally agree though, Durham's a great place and a very good uni, whoever goes there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    I wish people would stop putting Durham down on this forum. What exactly is the problem with it? In fact, I find some comments highly offensive, particularly the references to Oxbridge 'failures'. As a person who was not offered a place at Oxford or Cambridge and who is on the brink of accepting an offer from Durham, I would like to stress that it is not a negative feature of Durham (or Bristol) that it attracts people who did not get accepted at either of these institutions- in fact, it means that there are a lot of extremely intelligent and likeminded people there, many of whom were turned down for reasons that were not their fault. I was turned down by Oxford to read Psychology...I won 2 county scholar awards, have 4 A's at A level (excluding general studies), 7A*s and 6A's at GCSE and...SCORED 100% OVERALL IN MY PSYCHOLOGY A LEVEL. I also correctly answered the problems at interview, like thousands of other disappointed candidates in this country. Would you say that I was a 'failure'?
    The point is, is that 'us lot' have to go to uni SOMEWHERE and to add to that, somewhere where we know people will have similar abilities- or do you expect us to all sink into oblivion after being turned down?
    Relax... I think everybody knows Durham is a good place! I seriously consider going there without any Oxbridge app...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows Durham is a great uni, i think people have a problem with the fact that many peopl, both students and non students of Durham, think that the uni is second only to Oxbridge, that it is better than the London unis, Bristol Notts Warwick etc. The fact that it manages to hold onto this prestigious reputation seems to annoy people, either rightly or wrongly

ReputationRep:
    well u should be proud i think! ignore what ppl say. u seem to be a very intelligent person and at the end of the day its ur happiness that matters

ReputationRep:
    How id durham better than all the London unis? surely lse and imperial are better than durham :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well let's not start another Durham bashing thread please

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for being so supportive- it's nice to hear those positive comments and I found reading them very refreshing. Sorry for the long rant, but I really did have to get that off my chest.
    (Anyone going to St Chad's in March by the way)

ReputationRep:
    I am not making any comments either way but personaly but from what people say on here and the media Durham is probably a tad overated. Yes I am sure it is a very good world class university but it dosn't mean it should be considered an Oxbridge alternative. Oxbridge are oxbridge no university should want to emulate them. Surely a university should be good in its own right.

What I am trying to say is that if some person gets 4 A's at A level why should they automaticaly go to Oxbridge? If that person wants to go to Durham then thats up to them, I am sure they can't go wrong with a degree from Durham. Even if it is over rated its still a very good and well respected univerrsity. It just means that there are some others which are just as good. Manchester beats Oxbridge in a lot of areas for example, and for I.T Salford is ranked higher than Oxford for post graduate research (6*).

So you should go to the university which you think you will benefit the most from, not which university is two places higher in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I am not making any comments either way but personaly but from what people say on here and the media Durham is probably a tad overated. Yes I am sure it is a very good world class university but it dosn't mean it should be considered an Oxbridge alternative. Oxbridge are oxbridge no university should want to emulate them. Surely a university should be good in its own right.
    well said :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Durham is a good university and I don't see anything wrong with there being people, who didn't get into Oxbridge. Afterall it means that it's better than all the other ones, to which these people have applied. There's no point in pretending it's the best, but one of my friends has chosen it as his first choice because he reckons the physics course is the best on the country. It's a good university in its own right. I didn't apply, but that's only because I went for maths, which Durham is not very strong at.

anyway, going into triple figures with the posts now. Hooray! I'm now promoted to whatever the next rank is.

ReputationRep:
    Full member... Respect Boyakasha lol

ReputationRep:
    My question is what is so good about oxbridge discounting the old boys reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Durham is Durham... don't go comparing it to anything else. In fact, even saying Oxford and Cambridge are Oxbridge isn't all that flattering.. kinda shows that it doesn't matter which one you get into. But yes, they're world class and have the prestige that no other British uni has (despite claims).

I chose Durham after being rejected by Cambridge because I believe it is probably the best place for me. I guess decisions should be made upon what you feel rather than what people say.

It takes only a second to say "Durham stinks" but if you think about things carefully like how I did, it takes weeks/months to make a decision based on fact, general opinions and even hearsay.

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Durham is Durham... don't go comparing it to anything else. In fact, even saying Oxford and Cambridge are Oxbridge isn't all that flattering.. kinda shows that it doesn't matter which one you get into. But yes, they're world class and have the prestige that no other British uni has (despite claims).

I chose Durham after being rejected by Cambridge because I believe it is probably the best place for me. I guess decisions should be made upon what you feel rather than what people say.

It takes only a second to say "Durham stinks" but if you think about things carefully like how I did, it takes weeks/months to make a decision based on fact, general opinions and even hearsay.

xoxo
    There is a theory that Durham doesn't actually exist. That it's a weird figment of the collective private school imagination: all those little collegiate rituals, with the sense of something seedy and slightly weird underneath the pretensions ('Doxbridge'), a university version of the school in 'Decline and Fall'...

And before anybody says anything I quite like it. The place is endearing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Durham, oh Durham. I agree with the person who said, the first thing that comes to mind when one mentions Durham is delusions of grandeur.
    I have personally never thought of Durham as one of the countries best Universities, well I went to public school so of course many (unfit to go to oxbridge) kept rambling on about this safe haven called Durham.
    But many people i know who go to state schools did not hear of Durham till they started appyling to university, shame isn't it.
    I agree that Durham is good, but that's as far as I'll go, to compare it with oxbridge is absolutely absurd and I'm sure thats the general consensus on this forum, even in this country.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.