The Student Room Group

Housing in the 2nd year of uni

Hi
I don't know if anyone's in a similar situation so I thought I'll post this here. Basically, I started uni this year and at first I really liked it, I still like my course but I'm feeling pretty lonely here. I don't feel like I've made many close friends :frown: I kind of get on with my housemates but sometimes I wish they were different. There were few nights when they went out when I had something else on and then woke me up when they got back home drunk :/ I tried to hint that they should keep it down a little but I don't think they got the message. Some time ago we kind of decided to live together next year. There would be two other girls and two guys. At first I thought I get on with one of the girls really well but then I think she got 'bored' of me cause I didn't want to get drunk with her every night and flirt with random guys constantly...so now she realised the other girl is a bit like that when drunk and they seem to be best friends whilst I feel isolated :frown: I'm really worried about next year cause I don't want to live in a house if they'll carry on making me feel that way. I just don't get why they can't have a normal conversation. They always talk about whether they got a reply from one of the guys they made out with :/ so sometimes I feel like I'm stuck with the other two guys cause the girls have their own things to talk about :frown: but on the other hand, I don't think I'm particularly close to any other people that I've met here, at least not close enough for them to offer me a place in their house next year :frown: I really want a house with people that will have some respect and won't wake me up when drunk :/ and people that I can talk to...but I don't think I will find another option before we'll have sign a contract for a house :frown: If anyone's been through a similar situation to this, do you reckon I still have a chance of meeting some people who will want to live with me? Or shall I just hope that next year my housemates will have more work to do and won't be so loud?...and that I will somehow find topics of conversation with the other girls?
Reply 1
Original post by kat0320
Hi
I don't know if anyone's in a similar situation so I thought I'll post this here. Basically, I started uni this year and at first I really liked it, I still like my course but I'm feeling pretty lonely here. I don't feel like I've made many close friends :frown: I kind of get on with my housemates but sometimes I wish they were different. There were few nights when they went out when I had something else on and then woke me up when they got back home drunk :/ I tried to hint that they should keep it down a little but I don't think they got the message. Some time ago we kind of decided to live together next year. There would be two other girls and two guys. At first I thought I get on with one of the girls really well but then I think she got 'bored' of me cause I didn't want to get drunk with her every night and flirt with random guys constantly...so now she realised the other girl is a bit like that when drunk and they seem to be best friends whilst I feel isolated :frown: I'm really worried about next year cause I don't want to live in a house if they'll carry on making me feel that way. I just don't get why they can't have a normal conversation. They always talk about whether they got a reply from one of the guys they made out with :/ so sometimes I feel like I'm stuck with the other two guys cause the girls have their own things to talk about :frown: but on the other hand, I don't think I'm particularly close to any other people that I've met here, at least not close enough for them to offer me a place in their house next year :frown: I really want a house with people that will have some respect and won't wake me up when drunk :/ and people that I can talk to...but I don't think I will find another option before we'll have sign a contract for a house :frown: If anyone's been through a similar situation to this, do you reckon I still have a chance of meeting some people who will want to live with me? Or shall I just hope that next year my housemates will have more work to do and won't be so loud?...and that I will somehow find topics of conversation with the other girls?

they probally aren't the best housemates if you don't want to be woken up by them. i'd wait and see if adverts come up- ive seen quite a few recently specifically stating that the students are quiet, sounds like that would suit you better. and as for them being loud even when you asked them to keep it down, when your drunk you don't realise how loud your being so they probally weren't aware of how much noise they were making rather than deliberately trying to be inconsiderate.
Reply 2
I think of the problems is that people just decide too early who they are going to live with. In an ideal world, people wouldn't be deciding until March/April, but as is the case at my university, people decide in early November, when they've barely known people a month. By March, they may hate each other!
If they "didn't get the hint" that you want them to be quieter, then stop hinting about it and just tell them...
Reply 4
ear plugs or something similar not an option?..
Reply 5
@jelly1000 my situation has changed a little bit, a girl who i know from my course asked me who im going to live with next year as she had no one to live with, i told her about my situation and she said she doesnt want to be woken up either etc so we kinda decided to live together, the only problem we have now is that theres only two of us and i reckon thats going to be a problem cause most houses are either 3+ bed houses :s-smilie: we've been trying to look for someone else but like ive said, so many people made arrangements already so its hard to find people that are still looking :/ does anyone know if there might be like a forum where i could find another housemate or two? (incase we dont manage to find anyone soon)
@callum9999 sice i posted this my housemates woke me up again and i told them straight that it would be nice if they didnt cause its disrespectful as i wasnt the only one who got woken up but they just laughed :/
Reply 6
Original post by kat0320
@jelly1000 my situation has changed a little bit, a girl who i know from my course asked me who im going to live with next year as she had no one to live with, i told her about my situation and she said she doesnt want to be woken up either etc so we kinda decided to live together, the only problem we have now is that theres only two of us and i reckon thats going to be a problem cause most houses are either 3+ bed houses :s-smilie: we've been trying to look for someone else but like ive said, so many people made arrangements already so its hard to find people that are still looking :/ does anyone know if there might be like a forum where i could find another housemate or two? (incase we dont manage to find anyone soon)
@callum9999 sice i posted this my housemates woke me up again and i told them straight that it would be nice if they didnt cause its disrespectful as i wasnt the only one who got woken up but they just laughed :/

its easier if you use the quote button at the bottom of the box so i know when you've replied. there will be some 2 bed flats but it probably would be better & cheaper if you could find a 3rd or 4th person for next year- the accomodation for students website has a noticeboard, and if your uni uses home run then that should. and last year i saw a lot of posts looking for housemates on facebook groups for my uni but not until around february onwards.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
its easier if you use the quote button at the bottom of the box so i know when you've replied. there will be some 2 bed flats but it probably would be better & cheaper if you could find a 3rd or 4th person for next year- the accomodation for students website has a noticeboard, and if your uni uses home run then that should. and last year i saw a lot of posts looking for housemates on facebook groups for my uni but not until around february onwards.

i hope i quoted it right this time :wink: thanks for this advice :smile: hopefully we'll find someone we know :smile:
Original post by jelly1000

This. Plus, TSR has an accommodation classifieds forum.
Reply 9
Original post by kat0320
i hope i quoted it right this time :wink: thanks for this advice :smile: hopefully we'll find someone we know :smile:

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending