The Student Room Group

I am male and banter seems offensive to me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Someone at work who I know always calls me a f*gg*t and says that I make him sick. He also tries to disguise this as banter, yet at the same time makes sure other people overhear what he is saying to embarrass me further.

That does sound like a very mean and nasty thing for a boy to say to you Isambard.

Did you reply that you only make him sick because he gags whenever he tries to deepthroat your cock like he did last night?
Original post by Arirang
Banter is supposed to be good craic - not insulting (especially not from strangers) It's usually used to describe light hearted mockery of your friends, and is usually a two-way thing - i.e you give as good as you get. But generally it's just having a bit of fun.

There was also the phenomenon in my school of 'anti-bant' - someone who takes everything way too seriously and is deemed as no fun. You're definitely not anti-bant - those people were just being ********s.

Oh I am 'anti-bant'. :wink:
Original post by py0alb
That does sound like a very mean and nasty thing for a boy to say to you Isambard.

Did you reply that you only make him sick because he gags whenever he tries to deepthroat your cock like he did last night?

Now you made me feel sick! :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Original post by ~MiserableLogic~
Now you made me feel sick! :s-smilie:

thats what your mum said
Reply 24
Banter is deep real conversation where I am.
Original post by Martyn*
Banter is deep real conversation where I am.

I am in desperate need of philosophical discussion. :frown:
Reply 26
I recall many times at high school when people (especially males) insulted me and then claimed they were 'joking'. I don't understand the concept of 'banter'. How is insulting someone, especially to their face, funny?

Banter with your friends is fine as you know they're not serious and you give as you get. However, when someone who is not your friend insults you that's not banter. That's being a *****. I don't think you would have a problem with actual banter.
I recall many times at high school when people (especially males) insulted me and then claimed they were 'joking'. I don't understand the concept of 'banter'. How is insulting someone, especially to their face, funny?

Banter is just sugar coated insults , I have been in many situations especially in the workplace were a very loud and bubbly person takes the piss out of everybody cos it is just their ' humour'. Some people find it funny and just accept it and others find it very offensive indeed and get v upset over it
Reply 28
I am in desperate need of philosophical discussion. :frown:

Why? Doesn't it bring you down? Philosophy is not a very light thing to discuss.
Most banter is based around insults and ribbing someone. That said, you can't just have to know someone you need to know them somewhat otherwise its just offensive.

Plenty of people do pass of insults as just banter, but there just as many who are incapable of being ribbed or being on the receiving end of a joke without having a little meltdown.
Reply 30
Original post by doggyfizzel
Most banter is based around insults and ribbing someone. That said, you can't just have to know someone you need to know them somewhat otherwise its just offensive.

Plenty of people do pass of insults as just banter, but there just as many who are incapable of being ribbed or being on the receiving end of a joke without having a little meltdown.

these are the people who wonder why they only got invited to the pub that one time and then never again.

You have to take into account context. If they are not your friends then its an insult, however me and my friends trade insults all the time as harmless "banter"(although I never use that word :tongue:), but when we insult each other it is never serious and there are always unwritten boundaries on what you can't say.
Reply 32
I don't see why you have to be friends to have a bit of banter with someone. As long as you both understand what's going on your can do it with a complete stranger, it happens all the time. I swear some people actually want to be offended so they can have something to whine about.
Well, might as well be controversial.

Banter is socially accepted bullying. You take the negative character aspects of someone which they need to deal with (the fact that they smell, that they can't talk to girls, that they don't play sport, that they spend too much time masterbating or being antisocial) and tease them about it to provide a strong incentive for them to change their attitutes and activities to what is considered more socially acceptable (being thin, healthy and sociable). In addition, its a training mechanism for allowing people to deal with critisism and abuse for later life by having people you know do it before its someone in charge of you, so that when it happens in a workplace you don't get angry and punch your boss.

Its 'banter' and not bullying purely because its your friends and people you know doing it and not other people.
Original post by Martyn*
Why? Doesn't it bring you down? Philosophy is not a very light thing to discuss.

I know, but no one seems to share my passion and I can't discuss anything particularly deep with my friends.
Original post by The Gentle Giant
Well, might as well be controversial.

Banter is socially accepted bullying. You take the negative character aspects of someone which they need to deal with (the fact that they smell, that they can't talk to girls, that they don't play sport, that they spend too much time masterbating or being antisocial) and tease them about it to provide a strong incentive for them to change their attitutes and activities to what is considered more socially acceptable (being thin, healthy and sociable). In addition, its a training mechanism for allowing people to deal with critisism and abuse for later life by having people you know do it before its someone in charge of you, so that when it happens in a workplace you don't get angry and punch your boss.

Its 'banter' and not bullying purely because its your friends and people you know doing it and not other people.

Maybe that is why I hate it? Social conditioning is appalling. I would rather be myself and socially unacceptable than a clone of 'popular' people following inane trends...
Maybe that is why I hate it?

I'm not convinced you hate 'banter' pal. Surely you can take a joke from one of your mates without feeling bullied? You probably do it all the time with them. I don't think the situation you described in your OP is banter, more so people trying to hide behind the idea that it was just a joke.

Edit: Assuming that banter simply means picking fun or having a joke, I don't know exactly how everybody defines it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Anyone I've known who has used banter has 9 times out of 10 come across as a complete prick.
Original post by ssupernova
Banter is just sugar coated insults , I have been in many situations especially in the workplace were a very loud and bubbly person takes the piss out of everybody cos it is just their ' humour'. Some people find it funny and just accept it and others find it very offensive indeed and get v upset over it

Sounds like you are humourless and take yourself too seriously.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Sounds like you are humourless and take yourself too seriously.

Psh I'm not the one who gets offended by it, I definitely see where the OP is coming from if you're a sensitive person !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending