Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think that you should have secondary schools that teach what you want to learn like for example if you wanted to go into the police force like i do you would go to a school that would teach things that relate to the police but still have maths english ans etcetc

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    11 year olds don't know what they are going to do in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    i still dont know.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yeah, nor do some 18 year olds, like me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Exactly, therefore teaching the core subjects has to be a priority.

ReputationRep:
    nor do most 22 year olds! its all abig pile of pants!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo)
    do you think that you should have secondary schools that teach what you want to learn like for example if you wanted to go into the police force like i do you would go to a school that would teach things that relate to the police but still have maths english ans etcetc
    No. I think you should learn more general things at 2ndry school and if you want to learn other stuff it should be extra-curricular. That way you are able to demonstrate a more genuine interest/desire in whatever it is you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo)
    Not really. You go through training when you actually join the poilce force. I'd say for some skilled jobs with major shortages at the moment like plumbers and carpenters, the easiest way to let people learn the trade is by giving them a day release or something, i'm sure the government have been thinking about bringing something like this in. And I suppose even if the person doesnt go on to be a plumber, at least the skills they learnt would help them greatly in later life financially

There is however the CCF in schools, which is very much geared to a career in the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo)
    Thats what my college does. In Key Skills, you learn Key Skills relvant to the course.

e.g. If you took the Sports Course, you would have to work out the area of the local cricket pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Not really. You go through training when you actually join the poilce force. I'd say for some skilled jobs with major shortages at the moment like plumbers and carpenters, the easiest way to let people learn the trade is by giving them a day release or something, i'm sure the government have been thinking about bringing something like this in. And I suppose even if the person doesnt go on to be a plumber, at least the skills they learnt would help them greatly in later life financially

There is however the CCF in schools, which is very much geared to a career in the armed forces.
    i think there are lots of people doing skilled jobs training right now, so we'll have an influx of them. maybe

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i think there are lots of people doing skilled jobs training right now, so we'll have an influx of them. maybe
    Hopefully. I'd say a plumber could earn as much as a high paid lawyer in some parts of the country. More plumbers = lower prices

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.