This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Well he is a joke anyway
He is! I like just looking at him and laughing!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
I agree it would drive legitmacy away from our democracy. However, this issue is present throughout the electorate with turnout at 50% for the last general election.

What needs to be done before 16/17 year olds can get the vote is an increase in political awareness and I think this can be done in a number of ways.

1) Citizenship / Politics lessons
2) Politicians appealing and listening to younger viewpoints
3) Less MP straight jacket effect so politics becomes more interesting
4) Greater information on the young and major policy issues that will directly affect them
5) Less Jargon and 'boredom' from politics but exciting campaigns will clear explainations of what politicians mean

Obviously this is quite idealistic however, until a generation of mainly political aware youngsters come through the vote cannot be given as it would be against democracy.

I think your 5 points can be summed up by two words. 'Celebrity politician'. Its going to happen soon.

I think Ali G said something like this:

'Why dont you get celebrity politician in, like Frank Bruno or Van Outen, cos you know what they is like. You get a MP, and then half a year later you find out dey is sleeping with horses or something''
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
huh? You can vote in the next general election then...therefore are not in the same boat!
I meant I was roughly the same age as her when the last Gen. election happened. I'm not now but I was.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have had to do this debate twice this season and can I just say it is the most boring thing ever.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I have had to do this debate twice this season and can I just say it is the most boring thing ever.
Well you find us something interesting to talk about.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Politics is supposed to be boring.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Well you find us something interesting to talk about.
Read my last post - regarding politics, you would need a miracle to find something interesting to talk about!
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
dear me...this issue comes up time and time again-merge the threads mods lol!

look at 16 you are a CHILD. treated and protected by the law in that respect.

at 18 you are an ADULT, ADULTS VOTE. And they don't have the same treatment/protection as children do.

of course they are going to be a lot of people under 18 well informed and in a posiiton to cast a vote. However there are 15 year olds in the same position. the argument will continue to the dawn of time.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I think your 5 points can be summed up by two words. 'Celebrity politician'. Its going to happen soon.

I think Ali G said something like this:

'Why dont you get celebrity politician in, like Frank Bruno or Van Outen, cos you know what they is like. You get a MP, and then half a year later you find out dey is sleeping with horses or something''
Completely disagree.

1) Is about awareness of issues so encourages people to be involved in real politics

2) Politicians not ignoring young people in policy decisions and to not only seek the middle england vote but also that of a younger generation. The younger should be 'listened to' not 'lectured to'. Again this is not celeb politician merely giving younger a voice on political issues

3) less MP cohesion would encourage real viewpoints expressed in the Commons, governments being defeated and politics does not become something that steamrolls any legislation but a place for the most current debate of the day. Again this is encourage more viewpoints on issues expressed and politics not being boring

4) Obviously not celeb politician style...i.e top up fee infomation for people like myself who will be affected (deffered entry)

5) Politicians less emphasis on spin and political Jargon but more of a Lib Dem approach telling it exactly how it is. This means young people understand alot more than they currently do. Also campaigns with more 'american' style debates would encourage participation because politics becomes exicitng and more relevant

Not at all sure where you got this Celeb politician idea from - thin air, perhaps?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Read my last post - regarding politics, you would need a miracle to find something interesting to talk about!
LOL, there are loads of interesting things to get into. But we need something a bit fresher.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Nah Tek, my debate tomorrow is 'This house would return the Elgin Marbles to greece'

Who cares?
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
LOL, there are loads of interesting things to get into. But we need something a bit fresher.
But politics just goes round and round in circles - the same old discussions and problems faced come up time and time again!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Completely disagree.

1) Is about awareness of issues so encourages people to be involved in real politics

2) Politicians not ignoring young people in policy decisions and to not only seek the middle england vote but also that of a younger generation. The younger should be 'listened to' not 'lectured to'. Again this is not celeb politician merely giving younger a voice on political issues

3) less MP cohesion would encourage real viewpoints expressed in the Commons, governments being defeated and politics does not become something that steamrolls any legislation but a place for the most current debate of the day. Again this is encourage more viewpoints on issues expressed and politics not being boring

4) Obviously not celeb politician style...i.e top up fee infomation for people like myself who will be affected (deffered entry)

5) Politicians less emphasis on spin and political Jargon but more of a Lib Dem approach telling it exactly how it is. This means young people understand alot more than they currently do. Also campaigns with more 'american' style debates would encourage participation because politics becomes exicitng and more relevant

Not at all sure where you got this Celeb politician idea from - thin air, perhaps?

Your forgeting how much the fickle masses love their celebs, I assure you a young 'up and comer' in the world of politics, despite bundles of talent would get crushed by a celeb in the right area despite little political knowledge etc. Newcastle, i'm sure would elect a celeb politician for it has a large underclass, similary it would near where I live in Blackburn and Burnley. Celebs are often dumb working class people, thats what yor mr.average loves, not a person who sleeps with horses.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads