Turn on thread page Beta

What are your views on smoking? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Did most of you start as teenagers, or was it later on? Also, what made you start, as my understanding is that the first few cigs make you sick, so why does one continue with the habit? Is it peer pressure, and then the addiction kicks in, or what??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Did most of you start as teenagers, or was it later on? Also, what made you start, as my understanding is that the first few cigs make you sick, so why does one continue with the habit? Is it peer pressure, and then the addiction kicks in, or what??

i used to smoke a fair bit when i went out, just dine it to fit in i suppose, didn't make me addicted

ReputationRep:
    Never done it, despite mockery from my friends at school, and never intend to. Fortunately far fewer people here smoke than at home, so sometimes I can go out and not have to wash every single item of clothing afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    A packet of cigs should cost the same as a bottle of whisky - you wouldn't see too many people starting then.

ReputationRep:
    Don't. DO NOT.

If you havn't started then please don't. I started smoking early on in life and am totally addicted to a pack a day.

Disgusting and dangerous habit.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people who reckon theyre addicted chat alot of ****. It takes about a year to actually become clinically addicted to nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt talking about you. Its just alot of the people I know who smoke are like 'I smoke 5 cigarettes a day Ive been doing it for 6 months, god Im so addicted' - thats a load of ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Never done it, despite mockery from my friends at school, and never intend to. Fortunately far fewer people here smoke than at home, so sometimes I can go out and not have to wash every single item of clothing afterwards!
    Well done you!
    It's the same here, but I have been so close to starting before. I know however that I couldn't handle it, because passive smoking alone gives me the smokers cough. I found this on a website - it really puts me off smoking.

The constituents of second-hand smoke:

Example Common use
    Acetone Nail polish remover
    Acetic Acid Vinegar
    Aluminum Metal
    Ammonia Floor and toilet cleaner
    Arsenic Rat poison
    Benzene Industrial solvent
    Benzo(a)pyrene Diesel exhaust fume
    Butane Cigarette lighter fluid
    Cadmium Rechargeable batteries
    Copper Electric wiring
    Carbon Monoxide Car exhaust fume
    DDT Insecticide
    Dieldrin Insecticide
    Formaldehyde Preservative for dead bodies, wood, and fabrics
    Hexamine Barbecue lighter
    Hydrogen Cyanide Gas chamber poison
    Lead Fishing sinkers
    Magnesium Flares
    Methane Swamp gas
    Methanol Rocket and car fuel
    Naphthalene Moth balls
    Nicotine Insecticide and addictive drug in tobacco
    Nitrobenzene Petrol additive
    Nitrous Oxide Phenols Disinfectant
    Polonium 210 Radioactive compound
    Silicon Computer chips
    Silver Jewellery
    Stearic Acid Candle wax
    Titanium Aeroplanes and missiles
    Toluene Industrial solvent
    Vinyl Chloride Raw material to make plastic
    Zinc Metal, in coins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The same people who smoke Marlboro Lights because it looks 'cool' :rolleyes:

Probably don't even take it back properly! Wimps!
    Might look cool but they taste like ****. I smoked them for a couple of years but I've recently switched to Winston. A much better caliber of morning cough I find.

ReputationRep:
    Marlboro reds for me. Take the back of my throat off in the morning.
    Wow, that must make you well pleased with your choice of cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was addicted to Rothmans. What makes one brand better than another apart from price? (excuse my ignorance -my father would assume I wanted to start if I asked him)

ReputationRep:
    smoking is cool

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand how someone can like the taste of ****

anyway, i think people who start smoking nowadays seriously have something wrong in their brains - isn't there enough evidence to make them see that it's just plain revolting

but i know, as i have experienced with some of my friends, no matter what you tell them, or how much you beat them up til they're on the floor in a pub toilet cowering under a sink, they just won't listen. they still carry on

i too would like to know why you started smoking - because the only reason i can come up with is that you wanted to look cool (many people wouldn't admit to this obviously) but why else would you start?

"hmm..i wanna put this thing in my mouth and take in all this lovely foul-smelling stuff that contains mountains of deadly chemicals and **** - mmm, am i gonna feel better after this fag, or what?!"

...right...

i just don't get it!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, i see no point in them whatsoever, but i don't think people should be persecuted if they do.
    As long as i don't have to breathe in their smoke, i'm fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but the thing is, smoking doesnt even look cool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i dont understand how someone can like the taste of ****

anyway, i think people who start smoking nowadays seriously have something wrong in their brains - isn't there enough evidence to make them see that it's just plain revolting

but i know, as i have experienced with some of my friends, no matter what you tell them, or how much you beat them up til they're on the floor in a pub toilet cowering under a sink, they just won't listen. they still carry on

i too would like to know why you started smoking - because the only reason i can come up with is that you wanted to look cool (many people wouldn't admit to this obviously) but why else would you start?

"hmm..i wanna put this thing in my mouth and take in all this lovely foul-smelling stuff that contains mountains of deadly chemicals and **** - mmm, am i gonna feel better after this fag, or what?!"

...right...

i just don't get it!
    Yep, some people look up to others who smoke, but they obviously started because they were weak-willed and unable to stick to their views. I doubt anyone would start if they were the only person on earth. (I always end up using that to see if I'm doing it for me or for other people)

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting..tried one drag when drunk....choked and sworn that I'd never do it again. Don't see how ppl get addicted to it...it's awful!And they pay for it as well!!!

ReputationRep:
    The inhaled smoke doesn't taste the same as the exhaled smoke or the smoke given off the end. In fact, a good cigar can be one of the best tastes around.
    well i guess i will never get the chance to experience the greatness that is smoking - mmmm mmmm

i just hate it so much when someone close to me is smoking - it makes me feel revolting! but there is no chance i can get away from **** in todays times!

a question to smokers (other than the ones on here that have already expressed their disgust at their own filthy stinking habit) : are you at all concerned for your future health, etc.????

just curious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    well i guess i will never get the chance to experience the greatness that is smoking - mmmm mmmm

i just hate it so much when someone close to me is smoking - it makes me feel revolting! but there is no chance i can get away from **** in todays times!

a question to smokers (other than the ones on here that have already expressed their disgust at their own filthy stinking habit) : are you at all concerned for your future health, etc.????

just curious...
    Wow, you feel exceptionally strongly about it. I think people who have had a relative die from a disease related to smoking always have staunch disregard for regular smokers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how its any of your business. Such empathy!
    People who smoke are aware of the risks but like smoking too much to give up. They think that once something goes wrong, they'll deal with it when the time comes. (This is the impression I get)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.