Turn on thread page Beta

What are your views on smoking? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yes, i have had relatives die of smoking

and my dad was told he would if he didnt give up his 40-a-day habit - so he did! been about 7-8 years now and he hates smoking more than me!

i do feel very strongly about it. i respect smokers a lot less than non-smokers - that goes for even my closest of friends. i have ripped up full packets of **** in front of my dad and my friends - the look in their eyes - you'd swear it was their arm i was ripping!!

the closest i have got to smoking is putting one in my mouth that ihad found on the floor in my house (it was my dads). it wasn't lit or anything - and it tasted so bad - i cant imagine what they're like lit!

and 'piginapoke', no i do not have any empathy/sympathy/whatever for smokers - why the hell should i!!

so bugger off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    yes, i have had relatives die of smoking

and my dad was told he would if he didnt give up his 40-a-day habit - so he did! been about 7-8 years now and he hates smoking more than me!

i do feel very strongly about it. i respect smokers a lot less than non-smokers - that goes for even my closest of friends. i have ripped up full packets of **** in front of my dad and my friends - the look in their eyes - you'd swear it was their arm i was ripping!!

the closest i have got to smoking is putting one in my mouth that ihad found on the floor in my house (it was my dads). it wasn't lit or anything - and it tasted so bad - i cant imagine what they're like lit!

and 'piginapoke', no i do not have any empathy/sympathy/whatever for smokers - why the hell should i!!

so bugger off!
    So be honest with me now, for a hypothetical million pounds, would you not consider smoking a cigarette?

ReputationRep:
    sigh...

ReputationRep:
    never have never will...
    no offence to smokers out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Yep, some people look up to others who smoke, but they obviously started because they were weak-willed and unable to stick to their views. I doubt anyone would start if they were the only person on earth. (I always end up using that to see if I'm doing it for me or for other people)
    Smoking origionated in the hand of the uber townie.

ReputationRep:
    i was rather pround of my contribution to this similar thread: http://www.uk-learning.net/t25897-2.html

features the god that is jsm putting forward his views in favour of smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    To be honest, i see no point in them whatsoever, but i don't think people should be persecuted if they do.
    As long as i don't have to breathe in their smoke, i'm fine.
    i agree.. they can do what they like..i just dont want to have to breath in their smoke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i agree.. they can do what they like..i just dont want to have to breath in their smoke
    ohohoh, just what the link in my post talks about!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    i was rather pround of my contribution to this similar thread: http://www.uk-learning.net/t25897-2.html

oo...just read that...and was actually gonna say sumthin similar...

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to breath in anybodies smoke. I could see the issue 20 years ago but it just doesn't apply to the same extent today.

There's no shortage of bars/restaurants with a non-smoking policy (or at the very least non-smoking sections) Smoking is outlawed on public transport and in most places of work etc.

I can think of few reasons when anybody "has to" breath in other people's smoke.

ReputationRep:
    i smoke between 10-30 in a week. i am addicted but could give up if i could be bothered. im not clinically addicted a ssomeone referred to earlier in the thread but i do have an addiction of a sort-more emotional than physical i suppose.
    i tried smoking twice/three times before i started properly and it tasted like crap. at that point i smoked hardly any and it wasn't until a year later that i started smoking more. someone on er said once that most cigarettes taste like **** but there will be one once in a while that feels and taste brilliant and i completely agree. i enjoy smoking when i feel like crap coz it is crap. i dont think its good or cool but i do it and i cant be bothered to stop. as for brands, i dont judge. i smoke mayfair (wooo!!) one of the cheapest and i like it-thats why i smoke it. anyhoo, enough waffling.

ReputationRep:
    i'm just saying, by here, don't want no nasty comments back - off anyone

but, i find it hard to believe that you simply can't be bothered to give up smoking - but you could if you wanted to. hmmph...

and dont you just hate it when you read a word and you think how silly it sounds - just had that with the word 'could'

lol

ReputationRep:
    ohohoh, just what the link in my post talks about!!
    haha good posts in there.. i love how one guy says 'its good for your love life'... HOW!! i dont think i would kiss a guy who smoked! its like licking an ash tray!

ReputationRep:

Yep I totally agree. What annoys me about people who smoke is the way they look at you and then ever so s-l-o-w-l-y breathe out their smoke in your face, leaving you to cough and splutter while they continue to smoke ''in style''

It drives me mad!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i'm just saying, by here, don't want no nasty comments back - off anyone

but, i find it hard to believe that you simply can't be bothered to give up smoking - but you could if you wanted to. hmmph...
    i know it sounds pathetic but things are always getting good then crappy for me so i like to have smoking there. being able to sit alone with a cigarette which doesnt talk is good

haha good posts in there.. i love how one guy says 'its good for your love life'... HOW!! i dont think i would kiss a guy who smoked! its like licking an ash tray!
    i agree. i always have a pack of chewing gum in my pocket. though i like smoking, i hate the smell it leaves behind!

ReputationRep:
    Yep I totally agree. What annoys me about people who smoke is the way they look at you and then ever so s-l-o-w-l-y breathe out their smoke in your face, leaving you to cough and splutter while they continue to smoke ''in style''

It drives me mad!!!!
    i have to say, that is a massive generalisation. i do not ever blow my smoke into someone's face and am always very concious of sitting somewhere so that my smoke doesnt drift onto non-smokers. anyone who blows their smoke slowly into your face is just mean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    i know it sounds pathetic but things are always getting good then crappy for me so i like to have smoking there. being able to sit alone with a cigarette which doesnt talk is good

i agree. i always have a pack of chewing gum in my pocket. though i like smoking, i hate the smell it leaves behind!
    My life is far from perfect, but had I started smoking, it would have added to rather than seemingly reduce my problems. I know smokers see it as an escape from life, but surely that feeling can only last for so long?
    What about all the problems it causes in the long term?

ReputationRep:
    My life is far from perfect, but had I started smoking, it would have added to rather than seemingly reduce my problems. I know smokers see it as an escape from life, but surely that feeling can only last for so long?
    What about all the problems it causes in the long term?
    i know. i completely understand you're view coz i used to be there. i dont know why i changed butah well. i do worry a lot about all the harm its doing me but, i dont know. its hard to explain because i dont really understand my reliance on them completely. i dont see it as an escape from life as such, its just a moment to myself and i ant explain how or why but it feels good. i hate the taste after and the smell after but i like it. im trying to explain but my brain isn't working well enough (as usual) to articulate it.

ReputationRep:
    i know. i completely understand you're view coz i used to be there. i dont know why i changed butah well. i do worry a lot about all the harm its doing me but, i dont know. its hard to explain because i dont really understand my reliance on them completely. i dont see it as an escape from life as such, its just a moment to myself and i ant explain how or why but it feels good. i hate the taste after and the smell after but i like it. im trying to explain but my brain isn't working well enough (as usual) to articulate it.
    When you smoke, I gather it gives you time to think and reflect on things clearly, because it calms you down. Life is so hectic nowadays it's nice to be able to just sit down and get lost in your own thoughts. I do it all the time though, **** or no ****! I always see smokers inhaling deeply, looking into space, with glazed expressions on their faces.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say this but you are one of those ********s who think theyre addicted but actually arent, which I described earlier. Dont try and justify your reasons for smoking, just remember youre weak willed and one day you might be strong enough to stop.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.