hellothere996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi I'm currently in year 11 and I'm just filling out my 6th form application for next year. I really want to study Law at university after 6th form and I was wondering if these subjects at A Level would be suitable for a law course as I know law is a competitive course. The subjects that I'm thinking of picking are Psychology, History, Biology and Philosophy. Thanks
Emma_Student32
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I'm in year 11 and in exactly the same situation as you. From what I know, universities like at least 2 academic subjects and prefer one or two essay-based subjects. History is a great option because it gives you a background into the history of English traditions and wars which is appropriate for a law career. Psychology is also a brilliant choice because it intertwines science and the understanding of human mind. This is good because it may interest you into why people psychologically think of breaking the laws and also, you have to study a lot of case studies- which is similar to what you will be doing at university. These are your two essay based subjects. Biology is also good as it is a strong academic subject. I'm not sure about philosophy because that is not an option at my school, but your options to me sound very good
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks very much for the reply Philosophy at my school is like RE, it's a debating based subject on ethics and religion What subjects are you thinking of choosing?
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I definitely think that is a good choice then, anything that is debating like philosophy/R.S/Government and politics shows up very well on your application I am thinking of History, psychology and struggling between English literature or language. I want to do language because I did a CA in the spoken language last year and enjoyed it as well as getting an A* in it, but people are saying to me that literature is preferred. What do you think?
hellothere996
Rep:
?
I was debating between Lit, Lang and History. If I didn't pick History I probably would have picked English Literature, I just love it I recently done an oral exam in English Lang and got an A* but I prefer Literature
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, my parents keep telling me that I should do which English I enjoy, which is language, but so many people are telling me to do literature. All I'm worried about is getting the right subjects for being accepted into law at Birmingham
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Why don't you email the university and ask what they would prefer? If I were you, do English Language if you prefer it
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's actually a really good idea, thank you I think at the end of the day, I'll end up taking language because I wont put myself through two years of something I don't enjoy that much.
hellothere996
Rep:
?
No problem, I think I might email Bristol Uni tomorrow just to double check my options haha. I couldn't cope with a subject for 2 years if I didn't like it :L
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
exactly what I'm thinking But I'll probably change my mind at last minute and start enjoying english lit. That always happens before I pick my choices! :P
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Tell me about it :L I changed my mind so many times. I had a completely different set of options last month :L
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have to give in my options to the teachers and then they will sort out option blocks, so I might not be able to do the subjects that I actually want. We'll have to wait and see
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Ah I see, for my options I had to choose the subjects then get my teachers to recommend me for it. Luckily they all gave me good recommendations so I should hopefully be able to get onto all the subjects I want :P
Emma_Student32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's really good Let's just hope we both get to do the subjects we want to do
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey! I know it was over a year ago since we talked but did you get to do the options you picked? I changed all my options the day before going back haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend you do history and English literature at sixth form as they're both academic and well desired by universitirs, especially if you want to do law.

The best combination,
English literature
history
English language
And a language
hellothere996
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
During the break between y11 and y12 I decided I wanted to go into the world of business so ended up choosing business, economics and Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.3%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.63%
I think it's an unfair expectation (62)
26.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.3%

Watched Threads