The Student Room Group

Money saving tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laomedeia
Never get these things. If I have to spend £50 first, im not really saving. Anyway you can save more of your dole money by cycling to work rather than driving.:rolleyes: plus you get a bit fitter.

Well if you normally spend £50 then you're getting 10p off per litre for no extra cost. In supermarket terms it's just to encourage people who have got a basket of goods worth £40 to just add a bit more to get the voucher, or to spend your £50 that you normally do at Sainsburys instead of Tesco.
Reply 81
The best way to save money is to buy what you can second hand. A lot of it is nearly new and much cheaper. It stops things going to landfill too.
I try avoid purchasing items above 20+ pounds in-store.

I prefer to purchase items online. Using sites like unidays you can retrieve decent promo-codes. / If you were to look for the very same item on ebay you can almost guarantee you will find the very same item at a discounted price NEW. Also, if you're looking for car parts or items that don't have to be brand new, then ebay is also a good bet for cheap purchases.

Also for the lads. For bodybuilding nutrition head towards matrix-nutrition / myprotein.
There are lots of ways to save money.

Either 241 offers (in Boots, supermarkets etc), you may buy same things online which may be cheaper, you may consider buying from sites that sell second hand products which are in good condition, look out for stores that give discounts for students (e.g.Topshop), or extra little gifts (e.g. McDonalds).
Also don't forget your student discount on buses and the tube, and you may also benefit from a student railcard, if you are travelling by train a lot.
Original post by hannahamelia
Start doing your weekly shop in ALDI, you can get almost everything you would in large supermarkets like TESCO but for a margin of the price. And contrary to popular belief, the food/meat/fruits are incredible quality :smile:

I'll keep that in mind. Sounds great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snozzle
Where's the cheapest fuel? I think you can save 10p a litre if you spend £50 at sainsburys but not sure.

Lol. That sounds pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hitashami
Lol. That sounds pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not pointless if you use a lot of fuel.
Buy bulk chicken from musclefood.com, much cheaper than supermarkets and the chicken is far better, and a lot bigger.
I'm new here, but I really enjoyed reading this thread.
Reply 90
Best money saving idea - always visit friends/family around dinner time ...

'Oh - I'm so sorry to intrude - I just havent seen you in ages and missed you guys' ( whilst they are conveniently putting dinner on the table)

' Oh I would love to stay for quick bite -' Scoreeeeeeeeeeeee

haha!

Or shop at Aldi - It's a God send!
Original post by hannahamelia
Start doing your weekly shop in ALDI, you can get almost everything you would in large supermarkets like TESCO but for a margin of the price. And contrary to popular belief, the food/meat/fruits are incredible quality :smile:

I am with you there I totally love Aldi I think the quality is actually better and sooo much cheaper! cheap wine too
Reply 92
Befriend people who work in cinemas and shops. I get cinema tickets for a fraction of a price!
Shop at Wilkos.

Buy frozen meats and veg.
If you travel on train a lot, then get a Railcard!
Use NUS Extra and UNiDAYS.
Walk instead of taking public transport (if you can.) I walk to university and into the city centre but some people I know take the bus and it's pointless as they can walk the same distance in 15 minutes.
Use vouchers codes.
Buy and cook in bulk.

Buy non-branded supermarket items.

If you shop at Superdrug get a points card and an NUS Extra card and use both when paying at the till. You get 10% discount and you get points.
When hunting for accommodation, try to get unlimited Wi-Fi free/included in the bills.

Quick Reply

Latest