The Student Room Group

A level Choices for medicine

Hi,
I am currently choosing which A levels to take, and I am struggling to choose between Further Maths, Physics and Music.

I want to study Medicine in university after finishing my A levels. I am definitely taking Biology and Chemistry and Math in both As and A2 level. But, I find a hard time choosing between Further Maths, Physics and Music.

I am now doing IGCSE music, physics, additional math, business studies, english, Chinese, math, biology and chemistry.

Personally, I am not really into Physics, but I am kinda good at it. I have passed ABRSM piano Grade 8 piano with merit last summer, so performance is not a problem, but I am worrying about my composition. M

My music teacher suggest me to take music as A level, because he said that most universities like students who take music plus science in A level, is that true??

Is A level music difficult? What subject do you recommend me to take for A level to study medicine in university? I need help.:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JackTeh96
Hi,
I am currently choosing which A levels to take, and I am struggling to choose between Further Maths, Physics and Music.

I want to study Medicine in university after finishing my A levels. I am definitely taking Biology and Chemistry and Math in both As and A2 level. But, I find a hard time choosing between Further Maths, Physics and Music.

I am now doing IGCSE music, physics, additional math, business studies, english, Chinese, math, biology and chemistry.

Personally, I am not really into Physics, but I am kinda good at it. I have passed ABRSM piano Grade 8 piano with merit last summer, so performance is not a problem, but I am worrying about my composition. M

My music teacher suggest me to take music as A level, because he said that most universities like students who take music plus science in A level, is that true??

Is A level music difficult? What subject do you recommend me to take for A level to study medicine in university? I need help.:redface:

Personally I think uni's would prefer either music or physics. If you can pass Maths a level they will be aware your good at Maths - F.maths will add not much to their undertaking of you academically. Biology and chemistry cover the sciences. If you take music you'd be showing your capable at things others than science. If you take physics it's another academic subject looked on positively - but a pain for the subject is most important - as that is what will help you succeed. Furthermore you might want to consider what happens of you find Maths a level extremely hard. Or chemistry or biology for that matter. If you take f.maths an struggle with Maths at a level standard then that's two a levels that will be messed up effectively. Not saying this will happen but I know lots of people who took Maths having done exceptionally well at GCSE and the jump has been too much for them. If your considering Oxbridge you'd need 3 sciences/Maths to A2 but music AS might show a bit more humanity in you :smile:. Also if you find Maths/biology really hard and decide not to continue with it. You could still get into medicine with 2 sciences/Maths and music at many places eg Newcastle, kings, Leeds, uea, bristol :smile:

So I'd rule out f.maths. And pick the one you will enjoy the most. It might get a bit tedious just doing science :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Hey
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi,

As it's your 4th subject I would pick one that you think you're most likely to get the highest grade in - Medicine is very competitive, as you know. You say you're good at Phyics, so you may find it is easier to get an A grade. Also, if while you are doing your A levels you decide that Maths isn't right for you, having Physics means you can drop Maths and keep Physics instead - it will just give you more choice. You won't really have that flexibility with Music and Further Maths as your 4th subject.

Saying that, my b/f is applying for Medicine. He had Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French at AS Level. His plan was to drop French. Although he got AAAA in August as AS level, he didn't enjoy Maths, so dropped it. He is taking Biology, Chemistry and French for A2. Teacher said it's fine as long as he's not applying to Oxbridge. He has been offer 2 Medicine interviews, so dropping Maths and keeping French hasn't really held him back - but maybe he would have 4 Medicine interviews if he had dropped French - who knows?!

So, Music is a possibility, as long as you don't plan on applying to Oxbridge (they will only accept at AS level). But Physics may give you more options, say if you don't like Maths at AS level.
Reply 4
Original post by YLIA
personally you shouldn't be a doctor

1. your Chinese so we all know that your parents are forcing you to do it

2. you go igcse which uni's dont accept

Wow - that sounds so ignorant, and arrogant.

1. What? What a baseless assumption and generalisation - you don't know everything.

2. Err IGCSE are accepted by Universities. They're mostly taken at private and/or grammar schools - i.e. it's considered by some to be a more 'elite' version of GCSEs because they're meant to be 'tougher'.
Reply 5
Original post by Emilin
Wow - that sounds so ignorant, and arrogant.

1. What? What a baseless assumption and generalisation - you don't know everything.

2. Err IGCSE are accepted by Universities. They're mostly taken at private and/or grammar schools - i.e. it's considered by some to be a more 'elite' version of GCSEs because they're meant to be 'tougher'.

Thanks for helping me out. First, I am not Chinese, I am Chinese-Speaking Malaysia. My parents didn't force me to do it, it is all my decision.
Yep, IGCSE is harder than normal GCSE. (if you take extended tier), but normally international students take IGCSEs.
Reply 6
Original post by Emilin
As it's your 4th subject I would pick one that you think you're most likely to get the highest grade in - Medicine is very competitive, as you know. You say you're good at Phyics, so you may find it is easier to get an A grade. Also, if while you are doing your A levels you decide that Maths isn't right for you, having Physics means you can drop Maths and keep Physics instead - it will just give you more choice. You won't really have that flexibility with Music and Further Maths as your 4th subject.

Saying that, my b/f is applying for Medicine. He had Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French at AS Level. His plan was to drop French. Although he got AAAA in August as AS level, he didn't enjoy Maths, so dropped it. He is taking Biology, Chemistry and French for A2. Teacher said it's fine as long as he's not applying to Oxbridge. He has been offer 2 Medicine interviews, so dropping Maths and keeping French hasn't really held him back - but maybe he would have 4 Medicine interviews if he had dropped French - who knows?!

So, Music is a possibility, as long as you don't plan on applying to Oxbridge (they will only accept at AS level). But Physics may give you more options, say if you don't like Maths at AS level.

Thanks for your advice, physics does give me more option. But is it too dull for me to take all 'science' subjects?
Reply 7
Thanks for your advice, physics does give me more option. But is it too dull for me to take all 'science' subjects?

Not necessarily - I enjoy doing all the sciences and Maths and it gives more focus - as the subjects are all linked and support each other. There's more consistency, and if I did an Arts subject it wouldn't feel like it fitted in or relevant.

I think, as long as you did some Music outside your A-levels, for recreational purposes, then you should be fine. It's all about balance.

Good luck - which Med Schools are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 8
Original post by Emilin
Not necessarily - I enjoy doing all the sciences and Maths and it gives more focus - as the subjects are all linked and support each other. There's more consistency, and if I did an Arts subject it wouldn't feel like it fitted in or relevant.

I think, as long as you did some Music outside your A-levels, for recreational purposes, then you should be fine. It's all about balance.

Good luck - which Med Schools are you thinking of applying to?

Aiming for Cambridge. But i like UCl too. Are you studying A level?:smile:
Reply 9
Aiming for Cambridge. But i like UCl too. Are you studying A level?:smile:

Yes, final year of A levels. I want to study Chemistry though. My aim is to be a Chemistry teacher, or maybe a Chemist and go into research or industry (like oil companies etc.).

I have a lot of people around me who are Doctors or training or trying to be Doctors, so I know a little bit about Medicine.

Good luck with Cambridge. If you like UCL, you may also like Imperial College and King's College London too. Although, UCL, Imperial and King's are extremely competitive I heard, maybe because they're in Central London. Assuming you want to stick with Oxbridge and London type Universities, I would suggest:

1) Cambridge,
2) UCL or Imperial or King's (choosing just one of the 3 Central London ones)
3) Barts of London or St Georges London (choosing just one of the 2 London Suburb type Universities ones)
4) 4th Medical School outside London altogether, like Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol, Sheffield, Edinburgh or Cardiff etc. They are all very well respected too (and some others I can't remember off the top of my head).

Just remember, wherever you go - chances are you'll graduate as a Doctor, so it doesn't really matter where you go. The GMC regulates the Med Schools, so in theory they should all be of a very high standard. Choose a Uni that suits you and where you think you'll be happiest studying.

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I assume you are a genius in Chemistry. I like Chemistry and Biology very much, and I would like to do some extra reading or pre-study before As level. It is my second year IGCSE now, and I will study A level in Dulwich College on September 2013.

What chapter or area do you recommend me to study beforehand? Everyone knows that there is a huge leap between GCSE and A levels. :smile: Thanks.
Reply 11
Thanks for answering my questions. Hope more answers coming in!
Reply 12
Thanks for helping me out. First, I am not Chinese, I am Chinese-Speaking Malaysia. My parents didn't force me to do it, it is all my decision.
Yep, IGCSE is harder than normal GCSE. (if you take extended tier), but normally international students take IGCSEs.

I'd recommend Physics (because some Unis may not like Music). I dont do it myself, but wish I did now, it also helps with maths if you do M1 next this year or next year instead of s2 or do a humanity e.g. history, geography, RS.

Its up to you what you enjoy though!
Good luck! be careful with oxford and cambridge if youre applying they have blacklist subjects.
Reply 13
Original post by MedMed12
I'd recommend Physics (because some Unis may not like Music). I dont do it myself, but wish I did now, it also helps with maths if you do M1 next this year or next year instead of s2 or do a humanity e.g. history, geography, RS.

Its up to you what you enjoy though!
Good luck! be careful with oxford and cambridge if youre applying they have blacklist subjects.

Blacklist subjects?? I chose none from humanities in GCSE, and it is impossible to take it for A level (too much risk). Suppose that if I want to apply for medicine in Cambridge, is four A level good? or it would be helpful if i take five?
Reply 14
Thanks people I will choose four only

Reply 15
Slightly off topic guys, sorry, I'm not entirely sure where to put this.

I'm currently studying for the following SQA scottish highers:

English

Mathematics

Geography

Chemistry

Business Management

I'm predicted B,B,A,B,A, respectively.

I understand that these results, assuming I achieve them, won't cut it for getting into medical school however I'm wondering if I study via distance for a 1 year fast track A level Chemistry and I study Higher Human Biology in sixth year if that will be suitable for entry. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It might be worth considering doing psychology instead, it's much more relevant to medicine than fm, physics or music.
Reply 17
Really? I didn't learn psychology in Gcse..... Is that ok?

Reply 18
Really? I didn't learn psychology in Gcse..... Is that ok?

No sorry, but psychology is a weak subject for this type of thing, FM would be preferred any day to music or psychology, Personally I'd choose further maths if you are great at maths.

A thing to note is the alevel reforms meaning no january exams and 1 retake, so think about that when choosing, psychology isn't as helpful as say a science.
Reply 19
Yep, if I want to do med in uni, should I take fie subjects(bio,chem,Phy,math,f.math)? Or 4 subjects (without f.math) is there going to make a difference when applying to top universities in medicine?? Thanks .

Quick Reply

Latest