Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge Conference, Old Trafford watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what is the conference about anyway?
    It's to encourage us Northeners to go to Oxbridge. It;s basically a sort of open day in the North, detailing the universities and their courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what is the conference about anyway?
    cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Oooh you did? Was any of it any good? Is it easy? That's funny you picked them out because they are my true favourites but I would want to drop Politics.

But I'm still trying to work out if I'm a maths genius or not.
    Geography is fairly easy yes, probably the Atmosphere is the hardest part to grasp. I've always been best at Human geography, its more politics really than geography in a sense. The problem with it is, there is TOO much to learn. I was very lucky because I question spotted, and fortunatly what I learnt (about a quarter) came up on the exams.

You will probably get to go on a cool field trip though

ReputationRep:
    But all I want to do is write and look at how people talk.

Oh and read very old books.
    Yes. You shall read very old books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Geography is fairly easy yes, probably the Atmosphere is the hardest part to grasp. I've always been best at Human geography, its more politics really than geography in a sense. The problem with it is, there is TOO much to learn. I was very lucky because I question spotted, and fortunatly what I learnt (about a quarter) came up on the exams.

You will probably get to go on a cool field trip though
    Well even though you found it boring, you've sold it quite well so it can be a definate.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You shall read very old books
    Indeed I will So my set of subjects (the ones you suggested) shall be perfect for studying ancient languages?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I will So my set of subjects (the ones you suggested) shall be perfect for studying ancient languages?
    Well not perfect obviously, but very good yes. TBH if you want to study classics, you could get in with any comb of A levels as long as you show willing. But to a admissions tutor your Lang and history are the most important so do well in them!

ReputationRep:
    Well not perfect obviously, but very good yes. TBH if you want to study classics, you could get in with any comb of A levels as long as you show willing. But to a admissions tutor your Lang and history are the most important so do well in them!
    Will do

ReputationRep:
    I went to an Oxbridge conference at Old Trafford last year, although I didn't end up applying in the end. There were a main stand with displays and currents students you could talk to (had a nice chat with an Oxford physics student ) and some separate talks on Oxford, Cambridge, the admissions process, gap year, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It's to encourage us Northeners to go to Oxbridge. It;s basically a sort of open day in the North, detailing the universities and their courses.

It's not just the North - there are regional conferences in London, Leicester, Manchester and Newcastle (there was one in Cheltenham last week). I will be at the Manchester one, sporting a lovely Oxford t shirt and trying to sound clever and helpful :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    It's not just the North - there are regional conferences in London, Leicester, Manchester and Newcastle (there was one in Cheltenham last week). I will be at the Manchester one, sporting a lovely Oxford t shirt and trying to sound clever and helpful :eek:
    So will I
    Look out for us.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that. I'm going there as well. Pity, I'll be visiting the Cambridge stands first, though maybe a a little detour to see you girls.

ReputationRep:
    Back on the topic in hand...

I think I'm going to the Oxbridge thing next monday. But not the one at Old Trafford. It's at some racecourse thing near surry I think. God knows how I'm going to get there.

ReputationRep:
    No but my medics ball is at old trafford on saturday! YAYAYYAYAYAY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Back on the topic in hand...

I think I'm going to the Oxbridge thing next monday. But not the one at Old Trafford. It's at some racecourse thing near surry I think. God knows how I'm going to get there.

Sandown Racecourse. If you're going by public transport, head to Waterloo and get the train out to Esher I'll be at that one too!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be at Sandown Racecourse on Monday

Hoping it will be a beneficial day...

Will there be individual subject areas or just speeches all day?

Dreama xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    I'll be at Sandown Racecourse on Monday

Hoping it will be a beneficial day...

Will there be individual subject areas or just speeches all day?

Dreama xxx
    Lots of individual subject talks, and mre general talks on application procedures, etc. You'll need to decide which talks you want to go to. There will also be opportunities to speak to current undergraduates, admissions office staff, and some tutors. See you there!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.