A-levels for law?

Watch this thread
rajibbanerjee
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Can you possibly do law through the maths and science a-level root? Just wondering this, because they are my strengths. thanks.
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
It's better to do essay based subjects too. If the arts aren't your strength I struggle to understand why you want to do Law anyway...
rajibbanerjee
Rep:
Just wondering- struggling for job prospects so just asking around. That will cross that off the list then. Thanks anyway!
myusername.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
It's best to take pure academic subjects if you'd like to pursue a career in Law. So yes, you could take mathematical/science subjects. Also consider one or two essay-based subjects like English, History, Religious Studies etc. and perhaps a language.
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rajibbanerjee)
Can you possibly do law through the maths and science a-level root? Just wondering this, because they are my strengths. thanks.
You can, though you should do at least one essay-ish subject. I have known candidates read Law (inc one at Cambridge) having done Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French, or Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography. Picking academic subjects is probably the most important thing - Physics is definitely preferable to Law which is looked down on by several of the top universities. Many places positively encourage Maths for Law applications.

However, if you really don't like writing essays then think hard about whether law is the best option - training to be a patent agent (which generally requires a first degree in science/engineering) offers similar opportunities and money but is more science based.
JakeE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Art, Media Studies, Sport, Theater studies? All good for law!
username616640
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
for law, you can take any subject at a level... but it would be better if at least one of them was essay-based. (I do history)
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Although AS humanities are useful they are NOT ESSENTIAL, so long as you do well regarded A-levels and (I cannot stress this enough) get good grades (AAA+) you'll be fine even places such as Oxbridge do not mind what a-levels you do so long as they're well-regarded

This is from Churchill College Cambridge's website: 'Arts subjects at A-level are not required for the study of Law. Many applicants who study only Sciences subjects at A-level have achieved fine results in Law at Churchill'
rajibbanerjee
Rep:
Thanks smile ! There is no way I would ever take essay based subjects at a-level so that's good! Means I can still think about law. Makes my decision on the degree I want to do at uni more difficult though!
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Thanks smile ! There is no way I would ever take essay based subjects at a-level so that's good! Means I can still think about law. Makes my decision on the degree I want to do at uni more difficult though!
Another route into law that might interest you is doing a degree of your choice (could be science related in your case) then doing a 1 year conversion course. This would help with specializing- if you wanted to focus on law related to your degree, for example.
It's worth considering as it gives you more time to ultimately decide whether law is for you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Dust.
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
To maximize your chances at a Russell Group Uni (if that's what you aim for) I suggest taking at least 2 generally preferred subjects.

I personally do Biology, German, English Literature and Religious Studies and I'm aiming for Law.

PS: A complete set of Sciences are absolutely okay for Law, even though they help, you don't HAVE to do an essay subject.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'd personally say:
Mathematics
2 from: English Literature/History/Language
Science
Geography/Economics/RS/Another Science

:spank: that :badger:
Oaktree
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
4 from:

Maths
Further Maths
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Philosophy
Sociology
Psychology

DO NOT DO

Business studies
Art
General studies
Critical thinking
Textiles
Health and Social care
Use of Maths
Film studies
media studies
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Oaktree)
4 from:

Maths
Further Maths
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Philosophy
Sociology
Psychology

DO NOT DO

Business studies
Art
General studies
Critical thinking
Textiles
Health and Social care
Use of Maths
Film studies
media studies
I see languages are missing?

:puke: on that :badger:
LarrikinLibertine
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Here's a reply if you still want 'em:

I hope I'm gaining the right idea-you want to choose Law in University and are unsure of what A Levels would be good for it?

As said above, essay based subjects would be essential. I do AS Law and I can assure you, any essay based subject will be a gigantic help - e.g. English Literature (I've heard it's considered a "hard" subject also). It also wouldn't hurt to do something along the lines of Economics/Business Studies/Accountancy either.

Of course, AS Law wouldn't be a ridiculous choice either...
Sorry to break it to you but a lot of universities don't like A level law as it's considered 'soft' and you cover all of it in the first year anyway.
LarrikinLibertine
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
4 from:

Maths
Further Maths
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Philosophy
Sociology
Psychology

DO NOT DO

Business studies
Art
General studies
Critical thinking
Textiles
Health and Social care
Use of Maths
Film studies
media studies
Economics and languages should definitely be on the top list, sociology probably shouldn't and government and politics arguably should.

Ideal combo for law would probably be Maths, English lit, History and Economics.
Oaktree
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I forgot to add languages on the top list and economics isnt really appreciated by unis
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I forgot to add languages on the top list and economics isnt really appreciated by unis
It is on informed choices the facilitating subjects are:
Mathematics (and further)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English (literature)
Languages
Geography
History

And then other respected a levels are:
Economics
RS
Welsh (isn't included in the above languages)

:puke: on that :badger:
tasnimc
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Most Uni's would prefer it if you didn't do Law at Alevel, as they prefer to have a 'blank canvas'. Also, it's perfectly fine to have sciences. My sister did a Law degree and at Alevel she did Physics, Chem, English Lit and Government and Politics. I would strongly advise you do at least 2 'hard' subjects. The most important thing however, is to get the best grades possible.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Do you want, but make sure you do well in it as law is EXTREMELY competitive. One essay subject would be good to do though alongside the sciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise