Can squeamishness/fear of blood, etc. be overcome?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Basically, I'm curious as to how all the medical students out there handle the sight of blood, insides, etc. Can squeamishness, fear of and/or fainting at the sight of blood, etc. be overcome? Do you get used to it?

Would you say that such things rule you out as a suitable candidate for medicine?

Did you personally, or anyone you know, manage to overcome such things?

I'm curious to hear the replies!
NimbusCumulus
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Yes.
la95
Rep:
(Original post by NimbusCumulus)
Yes.
I appreciate the reply, but could you elaborate?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yeah you just get used to it in small chunks or via one very traumatising stimuli, it's quite well researched, in psychology they're called systematic desensitisation and flooding if you want to look them up.

That said if you can't look at blood or relatively mild cuts on other people you should probably reconsider medicine, if you react badly when it's you who has the wound that's perfectly normal however.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I used to pretty much pass out every time I saw blood moving through a tube (bizarrely never had an issue with 'loose' blood going everywhere though), so every patient getting a transfusion, dialysis, even having a cannula put in, was guaranteed to put me on the floor.

You get used to it. It helps that you're usually doing something - you can't be freaking out about the blood going through the cannula if you're the one holding it and trying to get it into the vein properly.
la95
Rep:
I almost threw up/passed out when I saw a relative's wound being injected with anaesthetic - it's the first time I've ever witnessed anything like this and has made me question my suitability for medicine. What do you guys think?
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
For me, it depends. From work shadowing I've realised that I'm not hugely keen on cannulas, but I can easily watch orthopaedic surgery with plenty of blood and bones being drilled into, so I think it's just something that I'll get over. It certainly hasn't dampened my enthusaism.
CosmicVengeance
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Easy.
Desensitisation.
You just need to be exposed to a lot of it for a long period of time, eventually you'll get accustomed to it.
Same way you meet someone new for the first time and your really shy etc, after a while you'll get really comfortable and do weird stuff (example ik its crap)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Basically, I'm curious as to how all the medical students out there handle the sight of blood, insides, etc. Can squeamishness, fear of and/or fainting at the sight of blood, etc. be overcome? Do you get used to it?

Would you say that such things rule you out as a suitable candidate for medicine?

Yep. I was a little squeamish myself when I started, felt a little giddy around blood tests etc., but have absolutely no problems now and enjoy taking blood/placing cannulas etc. I thought surgery would be a problem too but all is good.
MedMed12
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by la95)

aha I was squeamish when I saw things on tv, but once I started my work experience in yr 11 on the wards, I was fine you just need alittle adjusting to the environment and exposure to it and it'll become normal to you!
Hippokrates
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I used to be terrified of needles but now I'm a regular blood donor. It's all about getting used to it.
A Cat
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yep. You have to firstly, want to conquer this fear. And then to elminate it you must say hello to it every time it says hello to you. Do what it doesn't want you to do.
hvh
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Don't let it stop you.

I have a severe phobia of vomit - and I would have loved to so something medicine based, but am now doing Business because I thought I couldn't get over it. Really feel like i'm missing out on a keen interest to be honest.
fuzzy7ducky
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
See when I was younger I HATED anything to do with blood partly because it always seemed to me that blood = pain. I didn't like to see anyone in pain whatsoever so I was really scared of seeing blood. It's kinda ridiculous cuz when my brother scraped his knee I cried and cried although it didn't hurt him at all. I have been watching the saw movies recently to try and overcome this and honestly it has worked which is weird as **** but I'm getting used to seeing blood and even though the characters are in pain the blood doesn't scare me anymore.

My brain is messed up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (148)
40.88%
The paper was reasonable (165)
45.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (32)
8.84%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
4.7%

Watched Threads