The Student Room Group

Societies

I'm starting university next year and was wondering how many societies it would be manageable to join? What do any current or past students suggest?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Depends on the society. Some can be a bit all-consuming in terms of time / effort / energy / money, but others involve a lower commitment. For most people & societies, joining (and being involved in) two societies is entirely manageable, at least in first year.
Reply 2
Original post by Nicolamuse
I'm starting university next year and was wondering how many societies it would be manageable to join? What do any current or past students suggest?

Go for the ones you think you'll actually go along to. It's easy to sign up for several dozen societies that maybe sound interesting, but you end up not going to any of.

Depends on your course as well, although I don't think many people have time for more than 3 serious commitments. Also time-clashes is an issue; check when the societies' meet ups tend to occur, don't take two that occupy the same space.
Reply 3
Just join loads and see which ones you enjoy. If you pick complementary ones that don't clash you can easily do 3-4 different ones. I tended to do three at a time, and got pretty heavily involved in all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending