Turn on thread page Beta

Genetically modified watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    And what about when we run out of fossil fuels and plastics, we know that is enevitable, but do we cut down on consumption of these resources, no, we prefer living comfortably while they diminish.
    It is a prime example of nature working perfectly. Fossil fuels are being used but it's polluting the air so they run out, the air is clean again.

ReputationRep:
    how about we drastically cut down on car usage, to save on petrol, package more things in paper based packaging or glass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    It is a prime example of nature working perfectly. Fossil fuels are being used but it's polluting the air so they run out, the air is clean again.
    The fact that when fossil fuels run out we lose much much more than a source of fuel. The hydrocarbons are used to make allsorts of other more vital things, such as medicines, solvents which are taken for granted.

ReputationRep:
    how about we drastically cut down on car usage, to save on petrol

This would be too difficult to implement.

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to point out that certain regimes did and some still are using humans as guini pigs, simply because they thought they were subhuman and didn't matter. What you are suggesting is similar to what hitler did to the jews, testing all sorts of biological agents on them, as well as new operating techniques.
    May I ask how you would decide who would be tested upon, not you I take it, nor any of your family, just some people the other side of the world who you will never see.
    hu the **** are you to say that what i propose is exactly what hitler did.
    Hitler gave the people he tested on NO CHOICE and no i wouldent let a new drug be tested on me cus i wouldent want a new drug tested on me but if people voulenteered tobe tested on then there is no harm your saying GM is allright as long as alternatives are avaible well im saying testing on animals is acceptable as long as and alternative is avaible.
    + why should Britain be the ones to test GM foods cus ill tell you what will happen any surplus made will go to the EU grain banks and we will have another ethopia on our hands either that or it will be sold at such and extortionate price thatr third world countrys can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    The fact that when fossil fuels run out we lose much much more than a source of fuel. The hydrocarbons are used to make allsorts of other more vital things, such as medicines, solvents which are taken for granted.
    Yes i suppose. It's just like the bible (i'm not a preacher ppl!) Man has started to ruin everything that was created and so we'll be wiped out. Get building arks.....move! move! move!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anarchy Heaven)
    hu the **** are you to say that what i propose is exactly what hitler did.
    I did not say were were exactly like hitler, I said you were suggesting something similar from you saying we should let the third world test the GM crops.
    You are right that we should be the ones to test it, the americans actually did, since 1997, and they have proved it to be save.

ReputationRep:
    Man ****ed nature up, so why does he think he can fix it?
    we're not fixing it, we're using a band aid to patch up a gaping wound! Isn't it like 2/3 the words food ends up in first world, but we don't even need half of it. No-one seems to want to fix the balance so we have to find another way of increasing food resources for 3rd world countries - we can give them tools and knowledge to teach people to fend for themselves, but sometimes these crops just won't grow in the poor conditions they have.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the food problem is all of the trade laws and the common agracultural policy, which means all the surplus that the west makes cannot be given or sold very cheaply to the 3rd world, it is politicians that are the problem, they do not want to address the issues

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the food problem is all of the trade laws and the common agracultural policy, which means all the surplus that the west makes cannot be given or sold very cheaply to the 3rd world, it is politicians that are the problem, they do not want to address the issues
    I am sure that deep down they do, but it is like everything in this world, it costs money. If something is not financially viable, then why will someone do it? For the good of mankind? Unfortuneately people do not act or think this way, like the issue of recycling, one person on their own thinks that they as an individual cannot make a difference, and so sterotypically won't do anything, whereas if they see many people doing it, then they will act because they see purpose. It will take something extraordinarily amazing for the situation to be radically changed, until then the people must rely on themselves and the little aid they do get to survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    we're not fixing it, we're using a band aid to patch up a gaping wound! Isn't it like 2/3 the words food ends up in first world, but we don't even need half of it. No-one seems to want to fix the balance so we have to find another way of increasing food resources for 3rd world countries - we can give them tools and knowledge to teach people to fend for themselves, but sometimes these crops just won't grow in the poor conditions they have.
    And you think that GM crops are the answer? If crops are suddenly thriving in a certain area it may pleas man, but what about the fact that it will totally upset the balance of the area around it?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand that when there is a famine, drought or flood in a third world country the west acts and sends out aid, but when they are not under a natural disaster, nothing is done, despite the conditions being very bad.
    fair enough you get charities that work out their, but they can only work at a very limited level, whereas the goverments could do a lot more. It's just like the AIDs pandemic in africa, companies simply won't give drugs because it isn't economically viable.

On a related note, people should be more like Bill gates, as he is giving away a very large portion of his fortune to various charities, including over a $1billion to aids research, simply because he can.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand that when there is a famine, drought or flood in a third world country the west acts and sends out aid, but when they are not under a natural disaster, nothing is done, despite the conditions being very bad.
    fair enough you get charities that work out their, but they can only work at a very limited level, whereas the goverments could do a lot more. It's just like the AIDs pandemic in africa, companies simply won't give drugs because it isn't economically viable.

On a related note, people should be more like Bill gates, as he is giving away a very large portion of his fortune to various charities, including over a $1billion to aids research, simply because he can.
    Yes but money can't just be dished out to these people just as everything else can't just be handed to them ona plate, otherwise money etc. willl have no value

the air won't be clean when fossil fuels run out...
    J

(Original post by rednirt)
    frankly half of us live in first world countries because they can support our poulations.
    same can't be said for some of the barren countries of thw world
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    frankly half of us live in first world countries because they can support our poulations.
    same can't be said for some of the barren countries of thw world
    J
    We must remember that we in the first world have occupied these 3rd world countries and have gathered their resources, which may be the reason why they can't support themselves

ReputationRep:
    people say GM is the answer to world poverty etc etc but it isn't. the technology will be portected by patents which will make it expensive and out of reach for everyone other than large commerical farmers. GM is designed for commercial profit, not some altruistic attempt to tackle world hunger.

furthermore the world has enough food to feed the world. its that the developed world eats too much and isnt willing to share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    people say GM is the answer to world poverty etc etc but it isn't. the technology will be portected by patents which will make it expensive and out of reach for everyone other than large commerical farmers. GM is designed for commercial profit, not some altruistic attempt to tackle world hunger.

furthermore the world has enough food to feed the world. its that the developed world eats too much and isnt willing to share
    Exactly! In my opinion that is the problem (the only real problem) with it. The potential is there, though - it can't be a bad thing.

Ben
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MattG)

I completely and utterly agree - until I'm convinced that GM crops will really provide a benefit and not just an extra bonus to a few hundred share holders I will fight their use.

The trend in UK consumers is towards more organic, locally produced food - to risk this growing market for the sake of producing cheaper margarine (which is what the rape seed will be used for) seems to me to be rediculous.

Nature is by definition dynamic - unless crops are grown in complete isolation from the atmosphere then there is a risk of cross pollination which will lose an organic farms status (a status that takes up to a decade to achieve).

The americans have accepted GM crop into their foods not because they're more enlightened but because the propaganda produced by the large companies that benefit (eg. Nestle and Monsanto) is widely accepted and the media hasn't questioned it - they were even being told about how great it was at Disney World (one of the (Nestle sponsored) rides at Epcot contains a section on GM and how it will "solve world hunger" etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    Yes but money can't just be dished out to these people just as everything else can't just be handed to them ona plate, otherwise money etc. willl have no value
    No your wrong the reason things cant be handed out to people in the third world on a plate is because it does nothing to help them it is a short term fix.
    let me retell a story.

I noe a guy he and a friend of his studied engeneering at UNI and they made a compleatly recucled water pump which could be fixed with almost anything by just getting a pair of scissors some glue etc but any way they took a gap year after graduating and decided to go to africa and where they went there was a famine and the red cross where handing out food surplies etc etc.
    Now as we all know most of africa is very dry and prone to droughts and herein lies the problem because all the surface water was dried up after a drought the famers had no water for livestock and no water to grow crops or to drink without this water they had nothing to eat off of their oewn land and nothing to drink they couldent buy food because they had nothing to sell so this person looked around him and decided " why hand these people food when all they need to be able to do is get to water" well within 30 minutes of seeing thi he foned his dad who worked for a oil company and said dad can you send out one of the old disused oil elploration rigs and sure enough his dad shipped out this mobile oil rig it arrived 3 days later.
    as he got into this monstrocity of a thing a aid worker started to hit him saying he was trying to exploit these peoples needs by mining for oil so he told the aid worker to wait he started to drill and 15 bore holes later he had hit gold.
    You see in africa they atchually have a lot of water its just that its stored underground by mothernature and hed found one of these resivoires so he set up his pump using hose pipe and other shuch materials and then trained the locals on how to pup the water and brought some seeds for them to plant. he then trained some other local people to use the rig and sent them off looking for more water one of the men that helped is a teacher at my school and it was his friend that did all this and ever science this region in africa has never recived aid

The problem is if you give africa and other shuch third world countrys money they will use it to clear debts and then spend it on themselfs on new cars etc but by giving them water boring equipment and grain to plant and the tools to use and then after they have started to grow food again cancelling Every Countrys debt they will be on an even par now think what if that grain was GM specially to grow in the type of climate conditions they have out their this is a mirical not giving 1 billion to charitys.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.