Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You misunderstand us, we are not simply saying continuosly give food to africa, we are simply pointing out the fact that there are massive european surplus warehouses where thousands of tons of surplus food is stored and destroyed. I am saying, why not sell that food very cheaply to the 3rd world, so it won't be giving it to them for free, but at a much lower price than they might have to otherwise pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You misunderstand us, we are not simply saying continuosly give food to africa, we are simply pointing out the fact that there are massive european surplus warehouses where thousands of tons of surplus food is stored and destroyed. I am saying, why not sell that food very cheaply to the 3rd world, so it won't be giving it to them for free, but at a much lower price than they might have to otherwise pay.
    Look GM crops are made by using bacterial plasmids as vectors for genes producing pesticides and other products.
    Bacterial plasmids are known to cross species boundaries. Therefore, it is unknwon what possible undesirable effects it may have on human health without realising what's going on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Look GM crops are made by using bacterial plasmids as vectors for genes producing pesticides and other products.
    Bacterial plasmids are known to cross species boundaries. Therefore, it is unknwon what possible undesirable effects it may have on human health without realising what's going on...
    No-one seems to have a problem crossing species boundaries when it comes to adding an insulin making gene into bacteria, surely that is gm, so it shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    No-one seems to have a problem crossing species boundaries when it comes to adding an insulin making gene into bacteria, surely that is gm, so it shouldn't be allowed.
    Nay,but does insluin produce fertilisers and pesticides???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Nay,but does insluin produce fertilisers and pesticides???
    No, it is just injected into people on a regular basis, all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is just injected into people on a regular basis, all over the world.
    soooooooooooooooooo,
    there's nothing wrong with it as it doesn't produce toxic substances

ReputationRep:
    yeh but once youve sold that excess grain to the goverment how do you then get the people of the country to buy the food because THEY HAVE NO MONEY because they have no farm produce to sell because of the drought which killed all their crops so they cant buy it and then the people either starve which means red cross come to the rescue again or the goverment give it away and then they have to purchase more grain so they take out a loan off a richer country to buy it which gets them more in debt and its a vicious circle which gets worse and worse and dosnt stop.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think of GM products, should all GM procdures be banned, or should we allow GM crops to be commerically grown and used freely?

The same techniques have been employed in medicine for the past 20 years, the main one that springs to mind id the use of pigs to produce recombinant insulin for diabetics. Same risks of genes jumping around between species, but you can bet your bottom dollar (by way of stats) that atleast 5% of all anti GM crop destroyers/campaigners inject this into their thigh without a second thought......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    soooooooooooooooooo,
    there's nothing wrong with it as it doesn't produce toxic substances
    What i meant was from what i can remember Gm crops contain genes that produce pesticides and nitrogen compounds within the plants that is actually inserted into the plasmid.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    What i meant was from what i can remember Gm crops contain genes that produce pesticides and nitrogen compounds within the plants that is actually inserted into the plasmid.....
    You're thinking of Montsana..... the GM cases tudy of the mid 1990's... GM crops today tend to be the incorporation of genes from other varieties that increase colour, taste etc rather than affect hardiness. this is either by ectopic expression (on a plasmid under a tightly regulated inducible promotor) or by way of an insertion vector be it plasmid or transposon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You're thinking of Montsana..... the GM cases tudy of the mid 1990's... GM crops today tend to be the incorporation of genes from other varieties that increase colour, taste etc rather than affect hardiness. this is either by ectopic expression (on a plasmid under a tightly regulated inducible promotor) or by way of an insertion vector be it plasmid or transposon.
    Hav u really done genetics & if u hav how did u find it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Hav u really done genetics & if u hav how did u find it???
    I loved it - graduated from Swansea with a Degree in Genetics in 1999 and went on to do a D.Phil (PhD) in Cancer Research at a different Uni. Just finished that and am going to Med School in Septemeber as I need an MBBS to go into the field I want to (Medical Oncology).

ReputationRep:
    I loved it - graduated from Swansea with a Degree in Genetics in 1999 and went on to do a D.Phil (PhD) in Cancer Research at a different Uni. Just finished that and am going to Med School in Septemeber as I need an MBBS to go into the field I want to (Medical Oncology).
    Good luck!!You did exactly what i'm considering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Good luck!!You did exactly what i'm considering
    word of advice. Competition for medical school places as a graduate is about 20 times more fierce than applying as a school leaver (according to UCAS, and from personal experience). Even with a D.Phil. from Oxford it took me 2 attempts to get an offer.

If you have the oportunity to attempt med school entry now, got for it. You couls always put 2 genetics degrees down outside of the 4 choices you get for medicine....

Good luck!

Fx

ReputationRep:
    word of advice. Competition for medical school places as a graduate is about 20 times more fierce than applying as a school leaver (according to UCAS, and from personal experience). Even with a D.Phil. from Oxford it took me 2 attempts to get an offer.

If you have the oportunity to attempt med school entry now, got for it. You couls always put 2 genetics degrees down outside of the 4 choices you get for medicine....

Good luck!

Fx
    The prob is i got 5 A's predicted and applied to med, genetics and pharmacy, got 3 rejections from med and offers from pharmacy and genetics..(somehow i feel a bit silly as they require 3 B's or BBc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    The prob is i got 5 A's predicted and applied to med, genetics and pharmacy, got 3 rejections from med and offers from pharmacy and genetics..(somehow i feel a bit silly as they require 3 B's or BBc)

As hard as it is, if medicine is really what you want to do, you should work your ass off, get those A-Geades in the bag and take a Gap, reapplying next year.

ReputationRep:
    if crops and animals were not bred for bigger yields, extra resistance to pests, adverse conditions etc. we would not have enough food to feed our rapidly growing population. It is perfectly fine for many people in developed countries, who have enough food, to wail about growing GM crops and getting back to nature, but if they were starving in africa and needed a crop that would feed their family yet grow with minimal water, I don't think they would be so full of idealisms.

I would be wonderful if we could farm with no need for genetically modified crops or pesticides, but unless our population halves or more, we could not produce enough to feed ourselves.

finally- in some cases gm crops can be of benefit- as with gm maize- because they reduce the amount of pesticides needed which can then wash of the fields, into the rivers etc and harm other species through poisoning.

ReputationRep:
    GM Foods are fine the British Army and Amries all over the world have been suing GM Food for Years. GM Food has already been proved to work in Nigeria it wiped out an eye condition that caused thousands of people to go blind every year by putting Vitamin R into a type of Eice and then selling this to the Country.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm entirely in favour of GM products entering the food chain. I really fail to see where the problem lies. Even those with a very limited scientific and socio-economic understanding can see how advantageous this new technology is, and what it could potentially offer famine stricken third-world nations who are progressively deepening the rut they're currently languishing in.

It's so very easy for us in our privileged position as an economically buoyant, prosperous, capitalist society (talking as a Briton) with seemingly limitless resources to ethically deem the tampering with of nature wrong. However, consider it from the African farmer's point of view. He's failed to harvest enough even for his own needs; let alone has he been able to generate any kind of revenue from his land.

If someone were to rationally explain to me why they're unable trust scientists to responsibly develop GM products so as not to endanger other plant life, with melodramatically named 'super weeds', without becoming emotional about the implications of man tampering with nature, by all means do. People seem to forget, scientists are extremely aware of the implications of their work. Contrary to popular belief, scientists aren't set out for world domination, aren't named Dr. Kolosos, don't have a secret mountain layer and most certainly don't cacophonously and manically cackle when anyone dare question their supremacy. Super weeds and super bugs are simply a tool used by the media to heighten the impact of their stories.

As for the possible detrimental effects of having GM products within the human food chain, show me the evidence. Waves of negative publicity about the technology have reinforced the perception that GM foods could be harmful. A key point to remember, GM products are in their infancy. Problems which arise, can be solved - just as is the case when you're designing anything.

It is not the place of traditionalists or a born-again hippy to dictate the course of science simply because of an ethical hang-up, which should be tossed aside as irrelevant in the development of humanity anyway. The earth belongs to man, we should be able to shape it as suits us. It suits us to avoid a catastrophic plague of famine in the 21st century. It hinders our social and technological development, and implementing the new techniques we have will begin the process of finally pulling third-world nations to the comparable standards of 1st and 2nd world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    It is not the place of traditionalists or a born-again hippy to dictate the course of science simply because of an ethical hang-up, which should be tossed aside as irrelevant in the development of humanity anyway.
    hey- don't knock neo- hippys

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.