The Student Room Group

Should teenagers be allowed to drive after a certain time eg 10pm?

Scroll to see replies

Why are we only talking about teenagers here? There are plenty of adults that only learn to drive in their 30s.
And people need practice driving at night, obviously.
There are many adults who drive after 10pm who are drunk, high or just really tired, which is really dangerous, but no one suggests that we ALL have a driving curfew.

Maybe if public transport was a bit better/cheaper and was available at 3 o'clock in the morning, I might consider it a bit more, but otherwise, it's kind of unfair.
Reply 21
I finish work at 11pm some nights. Guess i'd be walking the 6 miles home down a country lane with no pavement. Awesome.
Reply 22
You're either good enough to drive safely or you're not. A driving test is supposed to differentiate between the two. I really don't think most accidents caused by youngsters are due to them lacking the ability to drive safely. Most of them know how to drive safely, but many of them choose not to. It's therefore logical to assume that it matters not when they drive or how experienced they become at driving, until they become more mature they will choose to drive irresponsibly. So actually the real question should be: "should drivers who drive like yobs be allowed on our roads?". And the answer is "no".
Original post by HowardChloe
On the news, I heard they're trying to increase the legal age. Once they have passed the driver must have P plates and cannot drive after a certain time.

Due to high statistics indicating a large number of road kill was between the ages of 18-25

Should this be allowed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally think that there don't need to be any restrictions for after people pass their driving test BUT I do think there needs to be a fundamental change to the test system.

I personally think you should be tested on the following:

Theory
Hazard perception while driving
General driving
Motorway driving
Night driving

As well as having to be trained on a skid pan to learn how to control your car if things start to go wrong.

What I mean by "Hazard perception while driving" is that for a section of your driving test you should have to dictate to your examiner everything you're seeing that might even vaguely be a hazard, so while driving you have to give a running commentary of what's going on around you. This would prove that you are capable of both driving & paying close attention to what is going on outside of car.
(edited 11 years ago)
In Australia, you're not allowed to drive after 10pm until like a year after your test, and teenagers aren't allowed more than one other teenager in the car at any time. It makes sense to me. The only problem would be those that work. When I was a teenager, I used to work til 11pm. I think they do need to find some sort of restriction though cos I know plenty of people who've had serious crashes cos they're stupid on the road.
I used to drive loads at night when I was a teenager and still do, I frequently drive between say midnight and 6am and I quite enjoy it. I'm a safe driver, been driving for four years and never been in an accident.

I think the young people that get into accidents tend to be cocky and irresponsible so I'm not sure how mych a curfew would help and as others have said it would cause difficulties for lots of safe and competent drivers. I do agree though that people should be deemed to be safe at driving at night, even if that just means having to clock so many hours driving in the dark during lessons. I also think you should need experience driving on the motorway before you're legally allowed to after your test, either during lessons or from pass plus. I was terrified the first several times I drove on the motorway :s-smilie:
Reply 26
It would just lead to people tearing home hell for leather at 9:__ whatever, probably causing more accidents.
Yes.

It gets dark at 5pm now. It's foggy and icy round here. I don't see what difference it makes if a teenager were to drive home at 5,7,9 or 11pm, aside from dealing with rush hour.
Reply 28
I think passing the driving test should prove you can drive, and drive at whatever time you want, what's the point in a driving test if it doesn't allow you to drive at certain times, obviously the test is not good enough then if they think they need to enforce such laws. It doesn't make sense to me..
Also this takes away freedom so many silly laws if I can drive responsibly at night I should be able to, also if I work at nights how am I supposed to get home? some people don't have people to give lifts or they work too far away to walk...
That is absolutely ridiculous. If you can drive, then you should be able to drive at any time and in any condition. WTF.
No. Its one of the most stupid ideas I've heard in a long time. At most, the driving tests should be much more thurough and i think you should have to check in every few months to make sure you aren't riding dirty since U got ur license
No.

Make the driving test more thorough, I'd agree with. One of my friends was caught speeding and went on a speed awareness course. According to her, it really made her think about the implications of driving too fast, particularly in areas with schools etc.
My question is, why wait until the driver has committed an offence to go on a course like that? Why aren't new drivers shown what consequences their actions may have before they have the opportunity to pass their driving test?
Reply 32
I dont see why they should stop teenagers from driving after 10pm I have been to a number of sports events on a night with my friends which would stop us from attending because we wouldn't be able to get home. This could have more of an effect on the economy as well which is not something that we want. You maybe could make it that you had to pass a driving test on a night so that you could drive then because this may make it more safe that is just an idea
Original post by Y333EEE
You know, for some of us its not for safetys sake. I work long, unsocial hours as a waiter/dishwasher which means regular 1130pm+ finishes. When I finish, I drive home at a speed in accordance with the road conditions (i.e. safely). Living in the middle of the Devonshire countryside (works a 15 mile drive away) I sort of need a car. How do you propose I get home if this is introduced?
Walk?
Hop?
Magic Carpet?

I'd so go halves on a magic carpet!

But seriously you cant implement this rule.

People work odd hours at night and have night shifts. My brother passed his test and he works until late hours and needs a car to get to and from work because of this and also was threathened as well when he walked home.

Buses even in built up areas, are not always reliable, expensive and also dont always go past certain hours. I use arriva buses as I dont drive myself and the main bus for myself doesnt run past 10pm.
they can practice after 10 pm
Original post by Y333EEE
You know, for some of us its not for safetys sake. I work long, unsocial hours as a waiter/dishwasher which means regular 1130pm+ finishes. When I finish, I drive home at a speed in accordance with the road conditions (i.e. safely). Living in the middle of the Devonshire countryside (works a 15 mile drive away) I sort of need a car. How do you propose I get home if this is introduced?
Walk?
Hop?
Magic Carpet?

Wow, you are a **** for talking with that 'I know better than you tone, who do you think you are seriously?
Reply 36
Original post by andyspeke999
Wow, you are a **** for talking with that 'I know better than you tone, who do you think you are seriously?

Your Father! Sorry about running away!
Reply 37
Original post by Swag hatter
The statistics back me up, not saying all teenage boys are like this but sadly, there are enough to cause this view. :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

Don't we call that a stereotype?
Reply 38
Why is it that when it comes to young people then you're allowed to discriminate based on non-contextual statistics. :rolleyes:
teenagers need practice and that they can do safely after 10PM

Quick Reply

Latest