The Student Room Group

Should teenagers be allowed to drive after a certain time eg 10pm?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Certainly not!! I lost one of my best friend in an accident at 2 am. He just started driving and had thay aderaline in him to drive fast. He tried to drift and the car rolled over. It was sad what happened to him. I started driving very safely after the incident. R.I.P to his soul :frown:

Sent from Galaxy SIII
Original post by Swag hatter
They should ban teenage BOYS from driving after certain hours if they are really going to implement such a stupid idea.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

Love how dumb some people are on here.
It was a joke, the whole idea of banning people driving after hours is stupid, which is what i said in my post.
Ah, TSR.
Reply 42
Not all young drivers are idiots, and the ones that are will get into trouble regardless of the time of day or any other factor.

Thankfully neither me or my friends have had any problems, but there are plenty of folk that have.

It is a shame that all of us that happen to be good drivers are tarnished with the same brush as all the idiots!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
I know obviously that a teenage driver has little experience on the road but personally see no point - I assume tiredness is one main point of setting a time for teenagers, but this affects everyone!
Reply 44
Original post by callum9999
No it's not obvious, it's stupid. There is NO logical reason why the standard driving test is "obviously" the perfect way to prove that you are capable of driving any car under any conditions.

Yep. There needs to be a complete overhaul of the test to include motorway and night driving (possibly, but this would be tricky as you would have to have two separate phases to the test I suppose), as well as making the test more of an actual test of real driving as opposed to the very artificial nature of it now. Driving on a test is nothing like driving in real life.

The test should be addressed before any crazy measures such as this are implemented. There are enough penalties to responsible young drivers as it is, and as well as preventing those who absolutely need to drive from driving, it could also affect the night time economy.
Increasing the legal age won't do anything. I don't think age related accidents are actually caused by recklessness during a certain age age (biology at x years) but rather by lack of experience.
They should have more police cars patrolling to pull people over for driving like dicks, and proper punishments for people driving like dicks.

I mean, if I go for a 10 minute drive I will definitely see at least one person cutting someone off dangerously, pulling out without looking, speeding, going onto a roundabout when they shouldn't, etc. But I have never seen police do anything about it, even when they are there. These are all things you'd fail your test for, so I don't see why they're acceptable as soon as you've passed your test.

Punishing an entire demographic based on statistics, however, is not OK. I mean, a disproportionate amount of knife crime in London is committed by black men - that doesn't mean that all black men should all get a curfew.
No, because many teenagers who drive work late hours (one of my friends is a delivery driver for example). If this came into effect, he wouldn't be able to work. Black boxes in cars would be a better idea, if you are driving dangerously your premiums will go up and safe drivers won't pay as much, regardless of age or gender. A much fairer system.
I dont think its a very good idea.
For a start, people need to learn to drive in the dark at some point. So people might as well learn to drive in the dark earlier rather than later.
Plus the fact that some young people have jobs where they finish late/start early- so they would be screwed when going to/from work. I know working at mcdonalds, ive worked until 11 on occasions, and still go to work for 6am regularly.
Reply 49
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
No, because many teenagers who drive work late hours (one of my friends is a delivery driver for example). If this came into effect, he wouldn't be able to work. Black boxes in cars would be a better idea, if you are driving dangerously your premiums will go up and safe drivers won't pay as much, regardless of age or gender. A much fairer system.

I agree with the idea of black boxes but there are some things I'm not sure about - like what if you had to brake suddenly, not your fault, but it might count against you? Also I don't really like the idea of insurance companies being able to track you :tongue:

As for the question, the thing someone mentioned previously in Australia, I think banning 17 - 20 year olds from having more than 1 teenager in the car is the best plan, but a curfew would be stupid. *Most* bad driving from young people is them showing off. I remember a guy who wanted to get with my friend pretending to swerve for "leprechauns" and almost spinning off the road with us in the car - he wouldn't have done that except for the fact he had a friend and 2 girls with him. Even I find myself wanting to go a little bit faster when I have friends in the car though I force myself not to, it's just natural to want to show off.
Reply 50
They should ban teenage BOYS from driving after certain hours if they are really going to implement such a stupid idea.

Bad choice. Besides, If the government was going to change the law, it can't be sexist in the way it operates the law in concern.
Original post by Tabzqt
Of course not. We should not give up rights for safety.

And then Benjamin Franklin went on to say "haw, check out the spoiler and new exhaust on this."
Reply 52
Why not just make a variation on the black box compulsory for all drivers under a specific age?
Reply 53
If this were implemented, it wouldn't make much of a difference to accident statistics for the following reasons:

*All of the responsible younger drivers would obey the curfew. But they aren't the ones that have accidents. Therefore, they would have their freedom reduced, and may have to give up their jobs, etc.
*The yobs who cause all of these accidents would be very unlikely to obey the curfew. Before anyone argues against this, do you really think that they're going to obey a curfew when they break just about every other rule of the road traffic act?!

Some young drivers choose to do this in return for cheaper insurance premiums. However, it is not suitable for all young drivers due to jobs etc.

I agree something needs to be done about the irresponsible young drivers, as they're a hazard to themselves and anyone else unlucky enough to be in their path. But penalising all young drivers, when the bad ones will just ignore the rules anyway, is not the right way to go about it. Perhaps bringing in a zero tolerance policy for 'minor' offences such as speeding may help - if they get caught, they get banned for a month or so (in addition to fines/points).
As others have already iterated, the only way for people to gain experience after having passed their test is to allow them to drive. You know, the thing they proved they can do to a legal standard? If they are so concerned about driving skill, they should incorporate it into the driving test.

If you've shown you are legally able to drive, you should be able to do so unimpeded by restrictions caused by your age, race, sex etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Statistically bulls**** is only about 30% brown stuff, the rest is moisture. Also using statistics to prove things is just gay. For example if they say 51*% of men have an average size willy, why sould the 3*% that have a truly enormous willy be judged to have an average one? unfair I think.

*These 2 statistics are made up just to use as an example coz I couldnt be bothered to research the actual data. Hopefully its enough to make my point
It's a bit of a silly idea. My friend, for example, learned to drive so that she could get to work because she worked nights (midnight to 8am) and there was no public transport. There are more people who simply drive to get to A to B than there are who drive in a dangerous way.
Original post by himanshu10
Certainly not!! I lost one of my best friend in an accident at 2 am. He just started driving and had thay aderaline in him to drive fast. He tried to drift and the car rolled over. It was sad what happened to him. I started driving very safely after the incident. R.I.P to his soul :frown:

Sent from Galaxy SIII

With respect to your friend, I don't see how the time of day was to blame more than the actions he took.

One of my colleagues did a bad overtake on his way to work and his hatchback lost out when it headed into a 4x4 or landrover or that sort of vehicle. But it was the manoeuvre and not the time of day to blame. He lost his life too. That was in the mid-afternoon though, not in the early hours.

At the place where we worked, a hotel, there are shifts available 24 hours of the day, but largely the place opened at 6am and closed at 3am for most operations... A ban on driving is just no good for us. The hotel would have to sack most of their staff because they wouldn't be able to do the shifts!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58

Out of all the people I know, more girls have crashed than boys. I put my car in a ditch in the snow (didn't even scratch it), and two others have spun new cars they're not used to.

Of the girls, two of them have ended up upside down being cut out by the fire service, another has been in hospital with a broken back, and just off the top of my head, at least another 4 have totalled their cars.

So yeah, teenage girls are so much better.
Reply 59
Or, how about having a more structured instruction course.
At the moment, if your birthday is close to summer, you could learn to drive having never had lessons in the night, or even in the rain/poor conditions,while all candidates may have a potentially limited experience of different road types, as well as absolutely no motorway experience.

Personally, I think all learners should be required to have a certain amount of hours driving at night, experience of a variety of roads, and should be required to drive on motorways with a proper instructor. Also, in some countries, learners have to practise on a skid pad, which I think we could adopt. My Dad knew someone in the police and had the chance to drive on one having driven for decades, and found it a useful experience, so imagine how useful it could be for learners.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending