Turn on thread page Beta

are we gonna have to stop downloading music & films?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    whats the latest??

ReputationRep:
    This morning I heard they will soon be able to confiscate your computer and freeze your bank assets for using music download programs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    This morning I heard they will soon be able to confiscate your computer and freeze your bank assets for using music download programs.

yeah in the metro, but i dont know what to believe they say that all the time and more & more people download...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have assets anyway, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    I don't have assets anyway, I think.
    same here, they can freeze em, but there won't be much to freeze... stupid record companies. Its blatently a "crime" most people with access to the internet have tried at least once, so fu*cking stupid people get prosecuted...

ReputationRep:
    i think so...otherwise our film and music industry will collapse...no sales=no wages

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, the film industry will not collapse, neither will the music industry.
    think about it, I don't know about anyone else, but when I download an album, if I really like it, I will go and and buy it, despite having the means to burn it onto cd. I like having the orginal album, rather than a collection of MP3s.
    And you cannot say that the film industry is collapsing, take return of the king, I could hav every easily downloaded as I have broadband, but I haven't, in fact I went to see it at the cinema 7 times.
    The public will still go to the cinema and buy videos and dvds despite being able to download them, as seeing a film at the cinema is an experiance that cannot be replicated at home, and dvds are collectable, as are videos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Oh come on, the film industry will not collapse, neither will the music industry.
    think about it, I don't know about anyone else, but when I download an album, if I really like it, I will go and and buy it, despite having the means to burn it onto cd. I like having the orginal album, rather than a collection of MP3s.
    And you cannot say that the film industry is collapsing, take return of the king, I could hav every easily downloaded as I have broadband, but I haven't, in fact I went to see it at the cinema 7 times.
    The public will still go to the cinema and buy videos and dvds despite being able to download them, as seeing a film at the cinema is an experiance that cannot be replicated at home, and dvds are collectable, as are videos.
    I didn't say it IS collapsing, i said it will. Yrs from now when ppl can dwnload everything for free why would they pay? The only thing that stops many people is that they don't know how. Of course people will pay to go to the cinema( i suppose i should have excluded the film industry) but you have to admit, given the option, the mahority of people would pick a free album over one they have to pay for - it's logical.

ReputationRep:
    I could easily download games, but I still regularly go out and buy them, (fair enough, I also download them too). I have almost as much tracks on brought albums as I have mp3s, so it's not as if I never buy albums. Some of the mp3s I have cannot be found over here, or are very hard to get hold of, that is one reason why I download them, as I like the artist, but cannot find their albums to buy.

ReputationRep:
    I could easily download games, but I still regularly go out and buy them, (fair enough, I also download them too). I have almost as much tracks on brought albums as I have mp3s, so it's not as if I never buy albums. Some of the mp3s I have cannot be found over here, or are very hard to get hold of, that is one reason why I download them, as I like the artist, but cannot find their albums to buy.
    This is what i mean, ppl ahrmlessly download the odd album or whatever, but take into acount the millions of ppl doing this, that must have a massive impact on these industries which is why i stand by the fact that the music industry will collapse in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I admit that the effect of worldwide downloading is damaging, but you must take into consideration all those who don't have access to the internet and go out and buy the albums, there is a lot of revenue got from that.

ReputationRep:
    apparently the record companies are cracking down on university servers cos one of my friends had her connection suspended and had to go to a meeting to basically scare her into not downlaoding cos thhe uni had recieved a nasty letter about copyright and legal action from one of the music companies

ReputationRep:
    I admit that the effect of worldwide downloading is damaging, but you must take into consideration all those who don't have access to the internet and go out and buy the albums, there is a lot of revenue got from that.
    yes, but look at the increase in internet access now, of course it will rise with the competetive rates from various companies. What happens when nearly every1 has access? Then it will begin to collapse

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the companies are targetting the small people that are just downloading albums for themselves, rather than the large scale priates who download, burn and sell all kinds of media, not only music.

ReputationRep:
    If we didn't have to pay so much for an album we wouldn't have to do it in the first places.
    THAT'S the area they should be addressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    If we didn't have to pay so much for an album we wouldn't have to do it in the first places.
    THAT'S the area they should be addressing.
    True.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe one idea would be for a Stellios (easy jet man) type figure to radically sell CD's at low cut prices, ideally drawing in custom from HMV, Ourprice, Virgin etc... Supermarkets like tesco sell cheaper CD's but they are expensive when you buy quite a few. Maybe then rivals would be forced to act and cut prices to meet the competition, for example Stellios tried to open budget price cinemas, although i'm not really sure on their success.

ReputationRep:
    Publishers say that in order to make a profit they must charge that much, as so much time and effort have been put into it. Fair enough, the band have put effort in, but a cd costs less than 10p each, and the burning process maybe cost the same per cd, and the pack costs about another 40p, so selling albums for £5 would still make a large profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    This is what i mean, ppl ahrmlessly download the odd album or whatever, but take into acount the millions of ppl doing this, that must have a massive impact on these industries which is why i stand by the fact that the music industry will collapse in the future.
    didnt the recording industry in america post a profit increase last year, whilst the number of people filesharing illegal files also grew?

Piracy actually promostes record sales, because most people download a few tracks to see if they like the music, then buy the album/s.

ReputationRep:
    Although filesharing can damage the games industry, especially when alphas and betas are stolen from servers, which people might download think it was the full game, and then be disappointed so they don't get the finished game. (similar thing happen to half life 2)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.