The Student Room Group

kicked out of sixth form, advice needed

just received a letter that ive been kicked out of sixth form. i was in my second year of sixth form studying my a2's, now all i have is my examination entries. ive missed out on almost a months worth of teaching (while the decision to expel me was taking its course) and now i know i will inevitably fail my january exams, as i was struggling anyway, now the textbook seems like pure gibberish when im trying to teach myself. i was wondering what are the options i can take if i wish to start my a levels from scratch? different subjects, different college...are there any colleges around the west midlands that do january 2013 intakes for a levels? if worst comes to worst, ill have to apply next september, but im lost as to what i can do between now and september. im going to sit my current exams, just need to arrange an external centre. any help on this would be appreciated a lot, as things seem pretty hopeless to me at the moment, and anything private is not even an option due to limited finances on my family's part :confused: thank you

Scroll to see replies

Why were you expelled if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 2
Original post by Harry Callahan
Why were you expelled if you don't mind my asking?

really long story, i wish to keep most of it to myself if you do not mind, but allegations were made against me regarding a violent incident, and because i was not present to present my side of the events, assumptions and one sided accounts of the events were taken into consideration and from there resulted the decision to expel. i have appealed and attended the hearing, yet as predicted the governors made no attempt to overturn the decision.
Original post by n0cturnal
really long story, i wish to keep most of it to myself if you do not mind, but allegations were made against me regarding a violent incident, and because i was not present to present my side of the events, assumptions and one sided accounts of the events were taken into consideration and from there resulted the decision to expel. i have appealed and attended the hearing, yet as predicted the governors made no attempt to overturn the decision.

Oh right. Unlucky, I suppose.
Reply 4
Oh right. Unlucky, I suppose.

dont take it personal mate, my whole future seems like one big mess right now
I'd probably look for work. Will a college take you after being expelled from sixth form?
dont take it personal mate, my whole future seems like one big mess right now

Oh, I didn't, don't worry. What's personal's personal.

In the short term I'd be looking for work, any kind of work to get some money in and your foot in the door. Maybe start teaching yourself something or looking for an apprenticeship?
Reply 7
You clown. You should have left before they expelled you.
Reply 8
-

Off the top of my head, here are your options:

- Call up other 6th forms and colleges nearby and ask if you can join in mid-way through this current academic year to finish off your A2's. Or ask if you can start new A-levels now by doing AS's so that by september next year, you'll hopefully be back on track by starting A2's in your new subjects. Although its going to be difficult as you effectively have half the time to do a year's worth of AS's.

- Join a new 6th form/college in september 2013 to restart your A2 year with your current subjects (which would mean taking 3 years to complete your A-levels, however top universities may not like this). If you plan to do this, start contacting 6th forms/colleges now.

- Join a new 6th form/college in september 2013, pick brand new A-levels and start all over again. However, funding-wise, the government only supports you up to and including the year when you turn 19. So if you choose this route, you'll only have one year to complete your AS's and A2's in your new subjects, ALTERNATIVELY you just do your AS's and then in the year after that, you self-study the A2's (or you can pay for private tuition to help learn the stuff). It may be tricky asking for a 6th form/college to allow you to complete two year's worth of A-levels in one year, because AS and A2 classes may clash and obviously then you won't be able to attend both, also they'll question whether you're capable of pulling off decent grades. Anyway, same as the last point, start contacting places now.

- Buy a few textbooks or borrow some from your local library and self-study the remainder of your current A-levels. Find an exam centre to take your exams as a private candidate either in January and/or June next year. If you do this, look up your exam board's website and find your subject's syllabus to make sure you know you're taking the right exam, at this stage you're totally responsible for your own education. Bear in mind as well, if you're just taking written papers then it shouldn't be able that hard to find places to sit your exams, but if you have science subjects that involve practicals then its a whole lot more complicated. Heres my estimate of the costs: for example if you're just taking 3 A2's, paying for books and exams should be around £220 in total. Different exam centres have different prices for exams, so call up places and look around. Theres a list on the AQA website of private candidate exam centres across the country, check that out. If you're looking to take some exams in January next year, you better hurry up to call up exam centres now, you're already late and they'll probably charge a late fee on top of the cost you would already have to pay for the exams, but thats if they're even able to enter you at this late stage. And if you want to take exams in June next year, you have until about late February to confirm your exam sittings before they charge a late fee.
Reply 9
Alright, listen up mate, i was kicked out of college recently aswell so i know what your going through. no college/sixthform is going to accept you this time of year, trust me ive tried. the only few options for you is to either start going to one of them small private colleges, the price is going to be a bit high but trust me its not that much and its defo worth it. if im being honest though i think you should just hire a tutor and do some intensive studying by yourself and then go in to them exams your college has already entered you for because trust me you will regret wasting a year of your life, when all your school mates go off into university and your still doing your a levels you will feel like ****.
Original post by S.R

How is he a clown when the case was ongoing he didn't no what the final judgement would be ? Believe it or not the guy has enough on is head at the moment he don't need childish people like you posting invaluable information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey mate all the best don't give up trying but also carry on studying and looking for a college I am sure luck is on your side. #allthebest
Reply 11
Original post by YourTheBoss
How is he a clown when the case was ongoing he didn't no what the final judgement would be ? Believe it or not the guy has enough on is head at the moment he don't need childish people like you posting invaluable information.
Hey mate all the best don't give up trying but also carry on studying and looking for a college I am sure luck is on your side. #allthebest

Switching sixth form is not that hard. Trying to get into a new one after being expelled from one is much harder. Therefore it would have been wise to just stick two fingers up to them, quit and start afresh elsewhere
Reply 12
Original post by PinkyPurply
I'd probably look for work. Will a college take you after being expelled from sixth form?

nah they wouldnt, especially not at this time of the academic year, half of the material has already been covered, and ive missed 4 weeks worth of lessons as well

Oh, I didn't, don't worry. What's personal's personal.

In the short term I'd be looking for work, any kind of work to get some money in and your foot in the door. Maybe start teaching yourself something or looking for an apprenticeship?

yeah i thought apprenticeship in january 2013 intakes, but ive taken a look round some colleges and not many of them are doing apprenticeship intakes, the ones that are a bit too far for me to get to

Original post by S.R

clown? mate are you silly? would you have left and made yourself look guilty if you were in my position?

Original post by Jack93o
Off the top of my head, here are your options:

- Call up other 6th forms and colleges nearby and ask if you can join in mid-way through this current academic year to finish off your A2's. Or ask if you can start new A-levels now by doing AS's so that by september next year, you'll hopefully be back on track by starting A2's in your new subjects. Although its going to be difficult as you effectively have half the time to do a year's worth of AS's.

- Join a new 6th form/college in september 2013 to restart your A2 year with your current subjects (which would mean taking 3 years to complete your A-levels, however top universities may not like this). If you plan to do this, start contacting 6th forms/colleges now.

- Join a new 6th form/college in september 2013, pick brand new A-levels and start all over again. However, funding-wise, the government only supports you up to and including the year when you turn 19. So if you choose this route, you'll only have one year to complete your AS's and A2's in your new subjects, ALTERNATIVELY you just do your AS's and then in the year after that, you self-study the A2's (or you can pay for private tuition to help learn the stuff). It may be tricky asking for a 6th form/college to allow you to complete two year's worth of A-levels in one year, because AS and A2 classes may clash and obviously then you won't be able to attend both, also they'll question whether you're capable of pulling off decent grades. Anyway, same as the last point, start contacting places now.

- Buy a few textbooks or borrow some from your local library and self-study the remainder of your current A-levels. Find an exam centre to take your exams as a private candidate either in January and/or June next year. If you do this, look up your exam board's website and find your subject's syllabus to make sure you know you're taking the right exam, at this stage you're totally responsible for your own education. Bear in mind as well, if you're just taking written papers then it shouldn't be able that hard to find places to sit your exams, but if you have science subjects that involve practicals then its a whole lot more complicated. Heres my estimate of the costs: for example if you're just taking 3 A2's, paying for books and exams should be around £220 in total. Different exam centres have different prices for exams, so call up places and look around. Theres a list on the AQA website of private candidate exam centres across the country, check that out. If you're looking to take some exams in January next year, you better hurry up to call up exam centres now, you're already late and they'll probably charge a late fee on top of the cost you would already have to pay for the exams, but thats if they're even able to enter you at this late stage. And if you want to take exams in June next year, you have until about late February to confirm your exam sittings before they charge a late fee.

ive tried phoning a few colleges, im sure colleges dont want nothing to do with a student whos been excluded permanently
ive paid for my resits for as for january, im already entered for exams, i just need an exam centre to sit them at

Original post by anm_2012
Alright, listen up mate, i was kicked out of college recently aswell so i know what your going through. no college/sixthform is going to accept you this time of year, trust me ive tried. the only few options for you is to either start going to one of them small private colleges, the price is going to be a bit high but trust me its not that much and its defo worth it. if im being honest though i think you should just hire a tutor and do some intensive studying by yourself and then go in to them exams your college has already entered you for because trust me you will regret wasting a year of your life, when all your school mates go off into university and your still doing your a levels you will feel like ****.

personally i know myself itll be better for me grade wise if i start as's all over again, i really dont mind it taking me another 2 years, because i know what i need to do to get the top grade next time round and 110% guaranteed that im going to get it or at least try my best for it, i didnt really try this or last year, ill be completely honest about that
going privates out the question, i need to think about current situations with everything else,

Original post by YourTheBoss

haha thanks mate :wink:
Reply 13

clown? mate are you silly? would you have left and made yourself look guilty if you were in my position?

Look guilty? Why would you care if they believed you to be guilty after you left? You're no longer part of the organization, nothing they can possibly do to you, you could go up to the principal and tell him to eat a dick and he couldn't do ****, they have no influence on anything else you do in your life so why would it matter if leaving made you look guilty? Better to look guilty than actually be proven to be guilty. At one of my jobs I was getting pretty sloppy with the work (because I hated the job) and knew the boss wasn't happy so rather than risk a sacking I quit making up some bs about uni commitments.
Reply 14
Original post by S.R
Look guilty? Why would you care if they believed you to be guilty after you left? You're no longer part of the organization, nothing they can possibly do to you, you could go up to the principal and tell him to eat a dick and he couldn't do ****, they have no influence on anything else you do in your life so why would it matter if leaving made you look guilty? Better to look guilty than actually be proven to be guilty. At one of my jobs I was getting pretty sloppy with the work (because I hated the job) and knew the boss wasn't happy so rather than risk a sacking I quit making up some bs about uni commitments.

dont you think i thought about that? the only reason i didnt was because i would have gotten dragged back in at some point anyway, it would have been the same result either way, only difference now is that i have an exclusion on my record, ****, didnt even think of it that way
if you can't find a new sixth form, you could try get a private tutor to do home schooling?
Reply 16
Original post by superxo2
if you can't find a new sixth form, you could try get a private tutor to do home schooling?

not in a position to pay for expenses for all that right now :confused:
Why not get a private tutor?
Reply 18
dont you think i thought about that? the only reason i didnt was because i would have gotten dragged back in at some point anyway, it would have been the same result either way, only difference now is that i have an exclusion on my record, ****, didnt even think of it that way

Glad you see my point.
not in a position to pay for expenses for all that right now :confused:

Teach yourself. I've done it before. It's possible but you need to be really effing dedicated.

Quick Reply

Latest