Turn on thread page Beta

23 years old watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am going back to Southampton in october to do maths . I did a marine biology degree first, but have had a cjange of career plan.

Is anyone else aged 23 and going to uni in the first year or is anyone planning on going to Southampton in oct?

Eve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buddy_Holly)
    Hey,
    I am going back to Southampton in october to do maths . I did a marine biology degree first, but have had a cjange of career plan.

Is anyone else aged 23 and going to uni in the first year or is anyone planning on going to Southampton in oct?

Eve
    Hi there... I´m not going to Southampton, but I´m also 23 (next month 24) and going in the first year... It didn´t really bother me until I´ve read some discussion about gap years and people there were quite concerned about how will they feel being a year older in the first year. Well it shoud be interesting

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I am 21 and in my second year yet I am still one of the younger ones. Most people are under 22 but there are lot of under 30's as well. There are even some people in their 40's but this quite rare.

ReputationRep:
    I am 22 and will be entering my first year to study law.

Have an offer from UCL and waiting on LSE, before I decide.

I am from the U.S. and in order to study law at a U.S. law school, you have to have an undergraduate degree. I received my B.A. in History (graduated in 2002) when I was 20 and will have two years of work experience before I start school.

I know that law school is hard and I am glad that I will be starting my legal education at 22. I think that my university training and work experience will help me deal with the rigors of law school

Many law students in the US start law school at 22 if they decide to go to law school right after their undergrad degree. So I guess that I am right on track with them

As long as you feel that you ready for school, age shouldn't be a factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    There are even some people in their 40's but this quite rare.
    yeah I thought about that as well. Thing is I was for two years in the college full of international students and most of those get to UK only in higher age when they´ve saved enough to pay for their studies. Average age there was around 30 - ish... so I´m only now realising that this may be a bit different. Well it can´t stop me from enjoying myself anyway Can´t wait for october!!!

ReputationRep:
    We've got quite a few foreign students who have already done degrees in other countries and are now here doing Law. Don't worry about feeling different or anything, all us 18 year olds fresh from A Levels were just terrified at the the thought that we had people in our seminars who already had degrees! Once it was established that we were all just starting out in the subject we soon got along.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Eve
    What r thinking of doing with a Maths degree (career wise)?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Eve
    I had a change of career plan I'm in my first year of a 2 year conversion and I've just turned 24 there are a few of us oldies out there

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Eve
    I'm 22, and I have just accepted an offer from St. John's Cambridge for Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic. It seems fairly uncommon for British students to take gap years compared to other European countries, so I too was surprised at all the talk about being one year older. Many of my friends from school are only now beginning at university for the first time. I will already (hopefully) have a degree when I come to the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    The oldest student on my course is 74! In addition, we've got a couple of 50-somethings. WEll, I guess that's what you get when you're studying History - it's a course very popular with mature students.

ReputationRep:
    I will be 20 when i go to uni- i suppose that is only 1 or 2 years older than the other people there...so i am not worried..everyone else will be the same age as my boyfriend and i get on with him well so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    The oldest student on my course is 74! In addition, we've got a couple of 50-somethings. WEll, I guess that's what you get when you're studying History - it's a course very popular with mature students.
    Yes. One fears that they are not taking it seriously as an academic discipline, but are simply there because it gives them a chance to relive their childhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    Yes. One fears that they are not taking it seriously as an academic discipline, but are simply there because it gives them a chance to relive their childhood.
    The 74-year-old definitely (he did a degree in Politics before, and he'll be doing a course in American Studies from next year once he's got his History degree.)
    One of the 50-somethings, however, will actually start teaching in June (he did a "placement" in a Southend school last June/July after the exams and they told him that they would have a teaching job for him when he graduates.

ReputationRep:
    I will be 25 when I start uni this year but it doesn't really bother me. Majority people from my country don't start unis until they are over 20 (the average is probably about 23)...

Anyone going to Kings or SOAS? I heard lot of people at SOAS are "mature" students...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.