AS Politics: Help on answering 10/25 mark questions Watch

Click_here
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
AS Politics: Help on answering 10/25 mark questions

I do AS Level Government and Politics and I have an exam coming soon. I'm stuck on answering the exam questions in the exam, especially the 25 mark question. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with essay structuring? Any resources such as revision notes and past exam answers?

You help is appreciated.
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only know for AQA..:

Go onto the AQA website, find Gov&Politics and there's loads of resources on how to structure. Check mark schemes etc also
tomdavid95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"I was wondering if anyone could help me out with essay structuring?"

I may be able to help you I am currently in year 13 doing gov & pol, got an A last year so I may be able to assisst what topics are you doing please? Just so you know, I did pressure groups, voting behaviour and electoral systems but chose not to do pressure groups in the exam. Are you wanting help with GOVP1 or GOVP2 or both?

It would be easier for you perhaps to email me directly and I will reply whenever I can. Or you can respond on here - I honestly don't mind. My email address is below.
[Removed - please use PMs or post here]

I look forward to your reply
StartingTheParty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing AS Government and Politics with AQA, and I struggled with this too.

Read this document from the AQA website, it helped me and it's from the Chief Examiner:
Attached files
Robbie2012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StartingTheParty)
I'm doing AS Government and Politics with AQA, and I struggled with this too.

Read this document from the AQA website, it helped me and it's from the Chief Examiner:

This is so useful! Thank you for posting... Exam on Monday, hoping for some nice questions on participation, parties or pressure groups!

Good luck everyone
StartingTheParty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know!

I'm worried I don't know everything, haha! I'm so cramming this weekend. :P
D affy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Will use a random quetion as an example

so the question is along the lines of evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the FPTP system

quick definition/introduction.
so you want to be talking about how the fptp electoral system works,

I would then go on to talk about its strengths in detail. Followed by a counter-argument which include all the weaknesses (USE EXAMPLES!)

As a conclusion sum up the strengths and weaknesses, mention your opinion, should the fptp be changed? Tweaked? Then offer an alternative system.

if you provide me with a real question i will help you structure them, feel free to pm me
best of luck!
alexinorris
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomdavid95)

I may be able to help you I am currently in year 13 doing gov & pol, got an A last year so I may be able to assisst what topics are you doing please? Just so you know, I did pressure groups, voting behaviour and electoral systems but chose not to do pressure groups in the exam. Are you wanting help with GOVP1 or GOVP2 or both?

It would be easier for you perhaps to email me directly and I will reply whenever I can. Or you can respond on here - I honestly don't mind. My email address is below.

How would you go about answering 'Assess the criticisms of the various electoral systems used in the UK?' - 25 marks

Not a full answer, but just a clear structure and where you get the marks?

Thanks
tomdavid95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there!

You need to address each system in turn. Introduce the fact that the UK has four or five operational electoral systems and explore each in turn - AMS, Single Transferrable Vote, Supplementary Vote, etc - explore them and their strengths and weaknesses in the cases where they are used in the UK.
(E.g. STV is good because X and bad because Y, giving evidence from the London Mayoral Elections where STV is used). Its been a few years so you'll have more up to date information than I do, but this is the best way to tackle this question.

I'd suggest you tackle FPTP last simply because its the biggest and most important. If you do it first, the rest of your essay will be dull, so build up to first past the post for general elections. Say whats good and whats bad with reference to specific uses of it (particularly 1992 and 1997 give interesting statistics on FPTP).

I would conclude by saying whether or not you think we should keep first past the post for general elections (is it the best of a bad bunch? The worst possible system, except for all the others? that is a Winston Churchill quote btw), or if you think it should be replaced by one of the others available - and WHY do you think that should be the case? This question is all about strengths and weaknesses but by saying "in the UK" theyre telling you they want evidence from these systems as they have been used within the United Kingdom - so put plenty of statistics in there!

Hope this helps
alexinorris
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there!

You need to address each system in turn. Introduce the fact that the UK has four or five operational electoral systems and explore each in turn - AMS, Single Transferrable Vote, Supplementary Vote, etc - explore them and their strengths and weaknesses in the cases where they are used in the UK.
(E.g. STV is good because X and bad because Y, giving evidence from the London Mayoral Elections where STV is used). Its been a few years so you'll have more up to date information than I do, but this is the best way to tackle this question.

I'd suggest you tackle FPTP last simply because its the biggest and most important. If you do it first, the rest of your essay will be dull, so build up to first past the post for general elections. Say whats good and whats bad with reference to specific uses of it (particularly 1992 and 1997 give interesting statistics on FPTP).

I would conclude by saying whether or not you think we should keep first past the post for general elections (is it the best of a bad bunch? The worst possible system, except for all the others? that is a Winston Churchill quote btw), or if you think it should be replaced by one of the others available - and WHY do you think that should be the case? This question is all about strengths and weaknesses but by saying "in the UK" theyre telling you they want evidence from these systems as they have been used within the United Kingdom - so put plenty of statistics in there!

Hope this helps
Wow thank you! My teacher never gave me this much help haha. What sixth form did you go to?
Prina_R
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hi there, I am doing edexcel govpol, doing pressure groups, democracy and elections. If possible, I was hoping if you could help me with the 25markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
pavannagra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, i really struggle with structuring my answers. I am doing aqa AS Gov and Pol. I have my Unit 2 mock tomorrow and my Unit 1 next week. Any advice?
Thankyou
alexinorris
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there!

Hope this helps
Thank you so much for this essay plan, it helped a lot! How did you come up with this exam structure?! It's really good.
eatthetree
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Should have an intro on what you will talk about and the side you will be arguing for
25 marker should have 4 points in it
A balanced argument (You can't get high marks without a balanced argument)
Use of political terminology for high AO3 level
Use up to date examples/evidence
Make a clear judgment on your conclusion
Link back to the question for your final sentence in the paragraph

I like to use this structure for helping me in exams...

Intro

Para 1 For
Point
Evidence
Explain

Para 2 Against
Point
Evidence
Explain

Para 3 For
Point
Evidence
Explain

Para 4 Against
Point
Evidence
Explain

Conc.

------------------------------------------

This is the structure I use for the 25 Marker.

I always write a plan to begin with. I whack down anything relevant to the question and then block everything out in a bullet points before starting the answer.

I go alternate in case I run out of time in the exam. Better to have a balanced short 25 marker then not balanced. If you are running out of time finish the paragraph your on and move to your conclusion and focus on making it a good one. It should be chunky, weighing up all the points and making a clear judgment.

Note: Mark schemes only used to ask for 3 points to gain level 3 marks however now they seem to be asking for 4 points. Also this is a rough guide, questions are worded differently as well meaning you may need to change your structure accordingly. I would make a guide for each of the types of questions they could word. E.g. "Asses the advantaged, to what extent.... etc."

Look at a model answer or mark scheme to find out exactly what they require to get the top levels in order to be getting 20+ out of 25.

Hope this helps, any further questions don't hesitate to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (161)
18.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.92%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.72%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (124)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.69%
How can I be the best version of myself? (267)
30.8%

Watched Threads