The Student Room Group

How to unblock nose FAST!?

I constantly have a blocked nose and it is really annoying, when I talk to people they cant understand me because i sound nasal and stuffy. Any quick home remedies to get rid of a blocked nose temp. or perm> (I have been to the doctors and they prescribed nose spray which hasnt worked)...
Reply 1
Phenylephrine capsules - i.e. generic sudafed

Olbas oil - inhale the vapours out of a tissue
Reply 2
Shotgun?
(Perm)
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
Phenylephrine capsules - i.e. generic sudafed

Olbas oil - inhale the vapours out of a tissue

Yep I agree, works for me
Have you tried blowing it? :awesome:
Get a menthol stick from the phamacy. It's small enough to carry anywhere with you in your pocket and gives you quick releif by smelling it :smile: Doesn't tend to last too long so take it wherever you go lol
I discovered it that last time I had a cold
Olbas Oil or Sudafed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I either use Sudafed - or if I'm looking for a natural remedy, eat lots of chilli
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Fill up a tub/bucket with hot water and put a towel over your head and inhale the steam. This also helps cause you don't have to strain/rub so much when you blow your nose,which makes your nose sore. Also those vapor sticks,vicks?
Reply 9
Original post by h.b123
I constantly have a blocked nose and it is really annoying, when I talk to people they cant understand me because i sound nasal and stuffy. Any quick home remedies to get rid of a blocked nose temp. or perm> (I have been to the doctors and they prescribed nose spray which hasnt worked)...

Dunk your head in freezing cold water for 2 mins. A blocked nose is not caused by mucous contrary to popular belief but rather enlarged blood vessels. Cooling your head will activate what is known as vasoconstriction where the blood vessels become smaller in order to prevent heat loss and warm the body back up. Only downside is that it works for about 10 mins then you have to do it again. But it's instant and that is what you want so try it.
Reply 10
step 1: position a tissue under your nose so that it can catch the nasal goodies you will expel in step 2
step 2: exhale, with force, through the nose
Or have a shower? The steam unblocks noses for a while :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by S.R
Dunk your head in freezing cold water for 2 mins. A blocked nose is not caused by mucous contrary to popular belief but rather enlarged blood vessels. Cooling your head will activate what is known as vasoconstriction where the blood vessels become smaller in order to prevent heat loss and warm the body back up. Only downside is that it works for about 10 mins then you have to do it again. But it's instant and that is what you want so try it.

Yup that is why you get a runny nose in the winter when your nose is blocked and you go outside for an extended period of time.
Reply 13
try some strong stuff like the vicks its really strong and unblocks your nose straight away. Really strong smell though apply to your neck.

Also, trim your nose hairs.
that makes it worse, did you attend school?
Reply 15
Hold your nose and stop breathing and walk really fast as much as you can all at the same time, when you let go, breathe slowly through your nose and the congestion will slowly subside. BUT ITS ONLY TEMPORARY!
those really nice smelly tissues

or those capsules you pour onto your pillow that you inhale while you sleep
Press between your eyebrows whilst pushing your tongue up against the roof of your mouth....it works every time:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zz_
step 1: position a tissue under your nose so that it can catch the nasal goodies you will expel in step 2
step 2: exhale, with force, through the nose

Blowing too hard causes some to have nosebleeds

Quick Reply

Latest