How do the chasers on 'The Chase' know SO much!?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ummm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Has anyone else watched 'The Chase' before? The game show on itv? The 'chasers' on it are just insane... they know SO much! 95% of they get the questions right, they answer the questions literally instantly and they're often able to give some long explanation/extra info. How the hell do they know so much!?
Tabzqt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love that show.

Often these kind of people dedicate their lives to trivia, also they will have amazing memories.

It's not from the chase but this guy is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2SM6Euu1cs
Hedgeman49
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The chasers are all competitive quizzers. Most quizzers devote a lot of time to learning vast lists of facts, and retain a lot of the information that they see only once or twice, and make a lot of money from various game shows and competitions.

The Eggheads are also competitive quizzers.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love the show.
What's more amazing is the fact they do all this while still having busy jobs. The Beast being a teacher, Shaun being a barrister and Paul is a doctor (well, went to medical school, not sure if he's a doctor now).
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's basically their life, they probably spend hours every day going through random facts to train.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're very good at guessing answers by logical reasoning/elimination, something they often mention during the show.

And it seems to me to be a good quizzer you have to:

learn latin (chasers alaways pick up on this during definition questions)
learn greek/roman mythology (these topics seem very prevalent on the chase)
US presidents
CSM1996
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's the same with eggheads, they memorise information which could come up/previously came up in quizzes.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's probably banks of questions for game shows and they memorise all the answers.
Silverland
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it is their job to know stuff I guess

I auditioned to be on the show but wasn't good enough :V
sophiescfc17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love this show!
HowardChloe
Report 7 years ago
Show is amazingggg!!!!

I always try to compete with them myself, shouting answers out at my TV. aha

But there is a degree at university on general studies, could be a possibility?
sonnyboyo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
because they have scrutinized the answers before the show begins. No one on earth could know the answers, to as many random questions, that are asked. it is impossible. The human brain, does not work quick enough.
Bubbsta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "fixed" but there's something they're definitely not telling us.

There's a million questions that could be asked, they reply immediately. Almost as if they were waiting for the question to be asked. They then give all the surrounding details around that era, including very specific facts directly related to that question. It all sounds very rehearsed.

So although I dont think they know every question that will be asked...I believe they are possibly informed of the topics that will be covered during that episode. For example they might tell the Chasers to study US presidents during 1850 - 1900. They'll keep it vague so nobody can accuse them of "fixing", but yes, I do believe the Chasers have an unfair advantage that the show isnt telling us.

Having said all that, I fully agree with everyone else saying that these people study several hours a day and already have a knack for retaining information well. So it's likely a mix between their hard work and knowledge, with a little help from the show who point them in the right "direction"
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (129)
59.45%
No (47)
21.66%
Not sure (41)
18.89%

Watched Threads