oh dear! driving without lights!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I could kick myself right now. I was in my new car which I got yesterday and managed to drive most of the way home without any lights. I am so scared. I genuinely don't understand because in my last car I always put on the lights.

No one beeped or anything! I am stressed. What's going to happen? I could cry right now!
Elwyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well the main thing is you made it home safely. Nothing's going to happen now so don't worry about it. I know what it's like though, my current car has auto-lights so it's not so much of a problem any more, but in my old car I used to forget to put them on quite often.
It's worth mentioning though that you should do something to remind yourself to put them on if you think it's going to become a problem. Driving without lights at night is very dangerous and the police don't look kindly on it at all. Maybe a post-it on your dash or something may sort it out if you're that worried.
username197472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Well the main thing is you made it home safely. Nothing's going to happen now so don't worry about it. I know what it's like though, my current car has auto-lights so it's not so much of a problem any more, but in my old car I used to forget to put them on quite often.
It's worth mentioning though that you should do something to remind yourself to put them on if you think it's going to become a problem. Driving without lights at night is very dangerous and the police don't look kindly on it at all. Maybe a post-it on your dash or something may sort it out if you're that worried.
Are you absolutely sure? I feel like crying. I drove past a part time police station. I can't believe how stupid I was. No one stopped me or anything. Could anything have recorded my license plate? Or could I get a court summons or anything after the date? I am so scared!
RC95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
U wut...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
AdvStudy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldn't of been able to see your number plate as it wouldn't be lit up by your lights!

I'm like 90% sure it's not a criminal offence, but you just get told to put them on.

Funnily enough, about a week ago I was driving on this road, it was rainy and dark when a guy in a high visibility jacket started waving his hands, so I slowed down and rolled down my window. He told me I forgot to put my lights on, I thanked him and drove off! No idea who he was!
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At least you didn't drive around town with full-beam headlights on. I've done that before. You'd be surprised how easy it is to ignore that bright blue symbol.
lizk123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You made it home safe, so don't worry about it.
Am sure you won't make the same mistake again.
I often forget to turn mine on, then I get a little further down the road and realise.
Loads of people do it.
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is a non-endorsable offence, so if you had of got caught, would have been a fine but no points. I know, because in my old car, I had no indicator for my lights, only my main beam, drove 5 minutes in a brightly lit town centre (and couldn't tell my lights were not on as I could see my dash without the dash light), got stopped by the police and got given a fine. Unfortunately for me, the police officer appeared to be having a bad day - I think that I could have been let off with a warning tbh.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You might have had your side lights on.

You're only legally required to have your side lights on if the road is lit.
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing at all will happen. Don't worry. At least getting scared like this will make you remember next time!
Togon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
Are you absolutely sure? I feel like crying. I drove past a part time police station. I can't believe how stupid I was. No one stopped me or anything. Could anything have recorded my license plate? Or could I get a court summons or anything after the date? I am so scared!
Unless ANPR* was used and present, you should be fine.

*ANPR = Automatic Numberplate Recognition
JO53PHS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But an ANPR camera is not going to be able to tell whether you had your lights on... And even if a police officer spotted you, they would not go to the trouble of reviewing the CCTV footage and following it up.
MrWhosane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Question for you all. Does ANPR work at night if I switch my lights off? With the numberplate light off, how can the camera pick it up?
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MrWhosane)
Question for you all. Does ANPR work at night if I switch my lights off? With the numberplate light off, how can the camera pick it up?
It'll work - ANPR uses infra red.

Driving without lights on is an offence: Contrary to regulation 25(1) of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.
Contrary to regulation 25(1) of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

I remember when I was given the opportunity of shadowing Met Traffic, there were a large number of people who would forget to turn their lights on. I never one did this in my old fiesta, however I have noticed that in my Dad's Focus, the dash lights come on with the ignition. This means that it is easier to forget... bit of a design flaw I think.

All I can suggest is that you should have a mental check list and run through it. Mine goes like:

Mirrors good
Seatbelt on
Gear: Neutral/Park/ Clutch depressed
Engine on
Lights on

Job done.
Ice Constricter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
o
(Original post by MrWhosane)
Considering ANPR cameras use infared, yes.
1992LP
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I seriously doubt anything will come of this - even if pulled over the police would just tell you to put your lights on. It probably is a punishable offense, but I have never heard of anyone being done for it if it is a genuine mistake.

Look at it this way - you clearly have had a hell of a shock so aren't going to make the same mistake again
g36c
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sex: female ...... ...... ....
Kage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm used to switching them on so much, that I sometimes switch them on in the day, without realising it, and the car beeps at me as I open the door.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh Lights. I thought you said tights!
PataynaRolaay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I drove without lights on quite some time ago, forgot to turn them on, drove a mile down and as i was driving someone beeped at me from behind, i put them on straight away. Thinking about it now, if i didnt turn them on and police saw me, they would have pulled me over, and found out i had no insurance and revoke my licence, because of something so small like forgetting to turn on lights, i would have got done for no insurance lol. Now i always turn my lights on at dark haha
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (660)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads