The Student Room Group

A week in the life of a student nurse!

Hi there, I couldn't see a thread like this and have been scouring the internet for information about timetables etc. but seem to get nowhere, so I thought I would create this topic. When I was applying for another course a couple years ago it really motivated and excited me to see what others were up to in their various stages of the course so I thought this might be a good idea!

Just post a rough outline of what you do during the week, if you wanna go in-depth then that's great! Lectures, practicals, placements - I'd like to hear about it from any branch and any year! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It really varies from week to week. This week I had lecture on Monday 9-4ish including a feedback session for a module that ended, Tuesday was a self-study day off, Weds I had a science lecture 9-12:30 then a tutorial on the mornings lecture 1-2, Yesterday we had field-specific days so we looked at whether mental illness is genetic or social then had a debate on the subject then had a violence and aggression lecture then today I was in 1-3 doing basic life support.

Some weeks we'll have 9-5 lectures and others we'll have loads of practical workshops etc.
I love reading about how other people are finding the course and what it entails! The student nurse forum is fantastic for that. they also have many posters who also blog their student nurse experience.
Varies from week to week but...... this was my week recently

Monday - 12 hour shift 7.30-8pm
Tuesday - 12 hour shift 7.30-8pm
Wednesday - University 9-5
Thursday - Day off working on assignments.....
Friday - Night shift 7.30pm-8am
Saturday- Day off Working on assignments....
Sunday - one day break :biggrin:
Reply 4
We had a week off this week because we had an assignment due in, which was pretty generous. So I'm just relaxing before I start my first placement tomorrow. :biggrin:
Reply 5
My week this week is Mon-Fri 8:30 to 4:30 at my placement with the health visitors.
What usually happens on a christmas placement? What's the hardest/most difficult situation someone has had to deal with?
Reply 7
Original post by sarahlouholmes
What usually happens on a christmas placement? What's the hardest/most difficult situation someone has had to deal with?

A Christmas placement is no different from any other placement apart from it's over the Christmas period. What shifts you are expected to work will depend on your university's policy and what you placement has given you on the off duty.
Reply 8
this week i have;

monday - 12-3 a&p lecture
tuesday - 9-12 fundamental skills lecture
wednesday - 9-4 ethics, law and professionalism lectures
thursday & friday - self study. some thursdays we have skills labs but we were in last week.

next week is our prep for placement week where we're going through out PADs and making sure everything is sorted, as well as finally picking up our uniform. then we have our christmas break, then we're in our first placement after christmas. our uni have kept us in longer but our giving us a longer placement as a result. this week's time table has been pretty light to be honest but we've already finished two modules and don't have another deadline/exam until april/march/may really.
Original post by sarahlouholmes

You go to work over christmas...? :tongue: Errrrmm I dunno what was the hardest or most difficult situation I have dealt with there have been quite a few to be honest.... Cardiac arrest helped try and resucitate someone taking turns to do chest compressions and stuff in my first year, he unfortunately died though. going to tell the family after was quite sad.
I've just finished my first week of placement, and WOWWW, it is amazing! I have learnt more in 5 days than I have in 3 months of Uni! Tip#1: carry a mini notebook around with you in your pocket. You will need it so much to help you learn! It should also help you with reflection. :smile:
This week I have done: dressings and wounds, female and male catheters (observing), blood pressures, blood glucose monitoring, and completing patient notes! I have also observed injections, packing wounds after surgery, rectal administration of medicines, deep wounds!, leg ulcers etc. I am also able to answer the phone.
Just to give you a bit on insight!
The day is tiring, but at the end of it I am so pleased with myself, and strangely I am not tired at all by the time I get home!? It's a weird feeling but you'll understand it more when you actually get on placement.
Original post by Nutella:3
I've just finished my first week of placement, and WOWWW, it is amazing! I have learnt more in 5 days than I have in 3 months of Uni! Tip#1: carry a mini notebook around with you in your pocket. You will need it so much to help you learn! It should also help you with reflection. :smile:
This week I have done: dressings and wounds, female and male catheters (observing), blood pressures, blood glucose monitoring, and completing patient notes! I have also observed injections, packing wounds after surgery, rectal administration of medicines, deep wounds!, leg ulcers etc. I am also able to answer the phone.
Just to give you a bit on insight!
The day is tiring, but at the end of it I am so pleased with myself, and strangely I am not tired at all by the time I get home!? It's a weird feeling but you'll understand it more when you actually get on placement.

Hi! where do you go to uni and what branch of nursing are you studying? sounds amazing !!
Original post by Pippie2222
Hi! where do you go to uni and what branch of nursing are you studying? sounds amazing !!

I'm at Edge Hill doing Adult Nursing. :smile:
Reply 13
I'm at Edge Hill doing Adult Nursing. :smile:

Hi I'm going to study adult nursing in April at edge hill also and I was just wondering what your timetables like and also the times of the day in which you start and things. I'm very exited April seems so long away xx
Original post by griffo1223
Hi I'm going to study adult nursing in April at edge hill also and I was just wondering what your timetables like and also the times of the day in which you start and things. I'm very exited April seems so long away xx

Hi :smile: Well the timetable can vary. At the moment we have none because of placement, but we are given a study day once a week, so it's 1 study day and 4 days at placement. You can choose the study day, as alot of them are for assignment writing etc. But some of them, the Uni decide them, because you need to be in Uni on those days. Before placement started we were split into groups, we were with these groups maybe 3 or 4 days a week, and the other day we were all learning together in the lecture hall. When we are learning together we are usually in 9-5. But if we're in groups, we're either in one morning or one afternoon. It varies a lot. Occasionally we are in a full day. Also one day a week in our groups we have skill sessions where we practice clinical skills, which is really fun and gives you really good practice for placement. Btw it's good starting in April because it's a smaller group of nurses, you get to know your group really well. I know a few people from 2012 April intake and they are all really close with their group - alot of them are moving in together soon. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else! :smile:
Reply 15
This has really helped thank you ! Are you given like an advanced timetable due to it varying so much ? I really can't wait to start now it sounds so good xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Also do you pick where you go on placement or is that chosen for you ? Also how long are the placements for ? Sorry to be asking so many questions haha xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Also do you pick where you go on placement or is that chosen for you ? Also how long are the placements for ? Sorry to be asking so many questions haha xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Placements are usually allocated to students, if they were allowed to pick their own, places like A&E would be inundated with students all the time. Your placements usually link in with the modules you have studied, so they have to be relevant, for example ITU for a critical care module, an elderly rehab ward for an elderly care module, district nursing for a primary care module. There is usually an opportunity at most universities to arrange an elective placement in an environment you're interested in working in, some students even arrange to go overseas for this placement.
This has really helped thank you ! Are you given like an advanced timetable due to it varying so much ? I really can't wait to start now it sounds so good xxx

We are given a 3 year planner, which basically tells you when you are in Uni, placement, assessment weeks and what weeks you have off (this is chosen for you!). So I already know what my course is like for the next 3 years! It's very basic as it's colour coded. Again it does vary ALOT, like on the planner our study day is listed as Wednesday every week, but if it's flexible then we decide what day it is. But each week is colour coded on the 3 yr planner, and that won't change as it's been carefully planned. We have a seperate timetable when we're in Uni which tells us what days/times we are in depending on which group we are in.
We don't choose where to go on placement - that is the same at all Unis.
I've been on placement since the middle of December and I'm due to stay on placement till the middle of March. But you have a hub placement (which is your branch-specific placement, so if you are adult branch, this will be an adult placement) and a spoke placement (which may or may not be branch specific). They are about 4-5 wks long each but you will spend more time at your hub placement. It's really good though because you can also go on short visits, whilst on these placements. So if you're in a ward, you can 'visit' other wards for either a couple of days or upto a week as long as they are relevant to what ward you are on. So it is a great way to get experience. Or if you are in the community you can visit GP surgeries for a day or so, or go out with different teams. So you are not stuck in one place, you are constantly learning new things.
It is great - you will really enjoy it!
Don't worry about the questions haha, keep asking if you think of any more! :smile: x
Reply 19
We are given a 3 year planner, which basically tells you when you are in Uni, placement, assessment weeks and what weeks you have off (this is chosen for you!). So I already know what my course is like for the next 3 years! It's very basic as it's colour coded. Again it does vary ALOT, like on the planner our study day is listed as Wednesday every week, but if it's flexible then we decide what day it is. But each week is colour coded on the 3 yr planner, and that won't change as it's been carefully planned. We have a seperate timetable when we're in Uni which tells us what days/times we are in depending on which group we are in.
We don't choose where to go on placement - that is the same at all Unis.
I've been on placement since the middle of December and I'm due to stay on placement till the middle of March. But you have a hub placement (which is your branch-specific placement, so if you are adult branch, this will be an adult placement) and a spoke placement (which may or may not be branch specific). They are about 4-5 wks long each but you will spend more time at your hub placement. It's really good though because you can also go on short visits, whilst on these placements. So if you're in a ward, you can 'visit' other wards for either a couple of days or upto a week as long as they are relevant to what ward you are on. So it is a great way to get experience. Or if you are in the community you can visit GP surgeries for a day or so, or go out with different teams. So you are not stuck in one place, you are constantly learning new things.
It is great - you will really enjoy it!
Don't worry about the questions haha, keep asking if you think of any more! :smile: x

Hey!
Seen your posts about Edge Hill, really interesting!
I've applied myself for Sept 13 intake for Mental Health at Edge Hill, and I saw about the hub and spoke placements. Just to ask, is that like one after the other, so is like your first placement spoke and then they're hub? Only reason I ask is because I want to do mental health but I really would love to do an adult placement as well just for that bit of ward experience if it was possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending