The Student Room Group

What's a good time run 2 miles in?

Hi, I know there a probably a lot of factors such as level of fitness, running conditions etc, to take into account, but what's a good speed to be running 2 miles in? I only started jogging in August to get into shape after University (I was still skinny but had a beer belly and was a bit of a state) and jogged for about 7 weeks until I got injured playing football with friends. I started jogging again last Monday (26th November) and have jogged every other day since. My first jog back was 2 miles in 18.48, and my latest jog that I did today was 2 miles in 16.03. Is my latest time slow>

Scroll to see replies

Most people who aren't athletes aim for a ten minute mile so anything under 20 minutes is great :smile:

ok fed up getting negs for this, I asked a PT at the gym and this is what he said. 20 minutes for 2 miles obviously, not 1 as some morons have suggested. If you want to train for races rather than recreationally which is what I assumed then maybe its less, afterall the couch to 5k programme gets you to do 3 miles in 30 minutes so I don't think what I suggested was wildly inaccurate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Siman89
Hi, I know there a probably a lot of factors such as level of fitness, running conditions etc, to take into account, but what's a good speed to be running 2 miles in? I only started jogging in August to get into shape after University (I was still skinny but had a beer belly and was a bit of a state) and jogged for about 7 weeks until I got injured playing football with friends. I started jogging again last Monday (26th November) and have jogged every other day since. My first jog back was 2 miles in 18.48, and my latest jog that I did today was 2 miles in 16.03. Is my latest time slow>

No that's quite good, because when I used to go gym back in year 10 I did 2 miles in 15 minutes. You could say that I we're in year 10 then, but I used to jog often and I found that hard and you've only started a few weeks ago so I think that's pretty good.
I personally am aiming to get my time down to 12 mins to give some comaprison. I run mabye 2-3 times a week but also have football twice a week. I would like to get it below 12 but small steps an that.
Reply 4
Original post by Guru Jason
I personally am aiming to get my time down to 12 mins to give some comaprison. I run mabye 2-3 times a week but also have football twice a week. I would like to get it below 12 but small steps an that.

Wow, that's impressive. Don't think I'll ever even come close to 2 miles in 12 minutes.
Original post by Siman89
Wow, that's impressive. Don't think I'll ever even come close to 2 miles in 12 minutes.

Well, i'm not there yet. I'm around 13 and a half at the moment. (even slower with all this snow around, lol). I used to do 6 mins a mile only doing 2 at a time but then I went and put on alot of weight in my first year at uni. It's only in these last few months (3rd year) that I've lost it and trying to get back to speed.
Reply 6
Original post by Guru Jason
Well, i'm not there yet. I'm around 13 and a half at the moment. (even slower with all this snow around, lol). I used to do 6 mins a mile only doing 2 at a time but then I went and put on alot of weight in my first year at uni. It's only in these last few months (3rd year) that I've lost it and trying to get back to speed.

Yeah it does seem a lot harder to run in the frost. Even though the running shoes have really good grip I find myself easing up in speed in to try and prevent slipping over, although that probably doesn't effect my time too much.
Reply 7
Original post by Siman89
Well a good time for a kilometre is about 5 minutes so 3.22 (2 miles in km) times 5 is 16.1, so yeah you ran it in less than 5 minutes a kilometre. Good going.
Below 12 minutes would be pretty good for a reasonably serious athlete, but that is on a route with little to no hills, a solid path and in decent weather. So your time of 16:03, especially with very little other sporting activity is good, just keep running regularly over a variety of distances and your times will continue to improve (though probably not by almost 3 minutes each time)
Reply 9
Original post by darryshan
Well a good time for a kilometre is about 5 minutes so 3.22 (2 miles in km) times 5 is 16.1, so yeah you ran it in less than 5 minutes a kilometre. Good going.

Another factor to consider is your fiber types. Someone with more slow twitch muscle fibers can run longer distances than someone with fast twitch muscle fibers. So it also depends on how much of each you have which will determine how good that is. I personally think that if you are truly pushing yourself and working hard then the result you get, you should be pleased about. I have personally noticed that when it comes to cardio that the distance you go is determined by mental determination and resilience. It's not just about how much stamina you have, but also how much of that stamina you tap into. Two people of varying stamina levels could run the same distance due to the one with the less stamina having a better willpower. I digressed a little but I thought it might be valuable to share my thoughts.
I'd say to aim for the ten minute mark, your times are really good. I've been running for years, and I don't always get under 10 minutes for 2 miles.

I prefer to measure in Kilometres anyway, feels like I've gone further :awesome:
Original post by SolitaryRS
Another factor to consider is your fiber types. Someone with more slow twitch muscle fibers can run longer distances than someone with fast twitch muscle fibers. So it also depends on how much of each you have which will determine how good that is. I personally think that if you are truly pushing yourself and working hard then the result you get, you should be pleased about. I have personally noticed that when it comes to cardio that the distance you go is determined by mental determination and resilience. It's not just about how much stamina you have, but also how much of that stamina you tap into. Two people of varying stamina levels could run the same distance due to the one with the less stamina having a better willpower. I digressed a little but I thought it might be valuable to share my thoughts.

Ive found the same with distance running, theres a point during the run where you can decide either to push yourself (very hard work), carry on and take it easy or give up (walk for a bit). Ive often wondered about people who get good times ..how much of it id down to being mentally strong and how much is it down to being physically capable. Like its hard to tell if they achieve good times by taking it easy as they have physical stamina or if they have really pushed themselves. My guess is since they enjoy racing (or else they wouldnt do it) its more that they are physically capable because its horrible constantly finding it hard to keep going and fighting the desire to slow down.
Original post by civilstudent
Ive found the same with distance running, theres a point during the run where you can decide either to push yourself (very hard work), carry on and take it easy or give up (walk for a bit). Ive often wondered about people who get good times ..how much of it id down to being mentally strong and how much is it down to being physically capable. Like its hard to tell if they achieve good times by taking it easy as they have physical stamina or if they have really pushed themselves. My guess is since they enjoy racing (or else they wouldnt do it) its more that they are physically capable because its horrible constantly finding it hard to keep going and fighting the desire to slow down.

I would link it to education to get a good idea of this. Basically you have the naturally intelligent people and you have the averagely intelligent people. If an averagely intelligent person tries really hard and the naturally intelligent person doesn't then the average guy will do better. A good intelligence helps, but determination is more important - Something I am having a hard time trying to accept.
The bright side is that, unlike intelligence, physical capability can be improved:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by infairverona
Most people who aren't athletes aim for a ten minute mile so anything under 20 minutes is great :smile:

Well thats a load of crap, i walk at 6 miles an hour, you're saying a good time is the same speed as me walking? anyone who can barely match walking speed while running is pathetic
Reply 15
Original post by almasy
Well thats a load of crap, i walk at 6 miles an hour, you're saying a good time is the same speed as me walking? anyone who can barely match walking speed while running is pathetic

Are you sure you walk 6 miles in an hour?
Original post by almasy

Personal trainer at my gym told me a 10 minute mile is what most average people aim for, excuse me for believing a qualified professional..
Original post by infairverona
Personal trainer at my gym told me a 10 minute mile is what most average people aim for, excuse me for believing a qualified professional..

Firstly, jumping from "10 minute mile is what most average people aim for" to therefore "under 20 is great" just makes no sense whatsoever. Secondly a 20 minute mile is pathetic, that's equivalent to 3 MPH (decent walking speed).

Word record pace is slightly sub 4 minutes and top athletes will be doing about a 4 minute mile. I'd say a 6 minute mile is a good recreational standard to aim for (that's a 3 minute 800 meters kept up for twice as long for those whose only way to visualise running ability is by remembering the torture of doing the 800m in secondary school and factoring up and accounting for increased distance fatigue- like me :tongue:). I'd say most people who were in decent shape could manage an 8 minute mile.
I did 2 miles in 14 minutes last week.

However I spent the first five minutes eating a bagel.
Reply 19
Original post by In One Ear
Firstly, jumping from "10 minute mile is what most average people aim for" to therefore "under 20 is great" just makes no sense whatsoever. Secondly a 20 minute mile is pathetic, that's equivalent to 3 MPH (decent walking speed).

Word record pace is slightly sub 4 minutes and top athletes will be doing about a 4 minute mile. I'd say a 6 minute mile is a good recreational standard to aim for (that's a 3 minute 800 meters kept up for twice as long for those whose only way to visualise running ability is by remembering the torture of doing the 800m in secondary school and factoring up and accounting for increased distance fatigue- like me :tongue:). I'd say most people who were in decent shape could manage an 8 minute mile.

She probably meant 20 minutes for 2 miles is great (which I don't agree with, but it makes her statement less ridiculous).
A male who trains regularly should imo be aiming to get it down to below 12 minutes for 2 miles, this is the kind of pace good runners run 10k at.

Latest