The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im 31 and wouldnt consider dating a guy under the age of 18, whether it be because I have children of my own, or just the fact that legally in the UK, you are not classed as an adult until you do reach 18. Rightly or wrongly there is a stigma attached to older/younger relationships and whether age should make a difference or not doesnt really come into play. For example male or female over 16 involved in a sexual relationship under 16 is illegal and open to prosecution, I would seriously suggest the elder partner considers all the avenues before partaking in such a relationship. Plus for fear of leaving myself open, what the hell would a 21 year old want with a 14 year old anyway? dodgy to say the least
Reply 21
sillynarb2
i wouldn't complain if i had an older girlfriend

More experienced?
Reply 22
Bhaal85
More experienced?

Its not just that, if you look after yourself you dont start deteriating in the looks department until youre about 40...so why not?
Reply 23
The rule i have found when dating someone younger/older than you, the maxiem age difference at our age group is three years. Anything bigger than that number is just wrong.
well u all no my story so i wont borew u with that one!!!
Reply 25
lumpycustard
well u all no my story so i wont borew u with that one!!!

i was thinking of metioning you in this thread, but u beat me to it.
Dude
i was thinking of metioning you in this thread, but u beat me to it.
lol im like the casy study gal rnt i hehe?
Reply 27
piginapoke
Just wrong eh? Is there an unwritten law about that?

yer, it's one of the many rules in the guys unwritten hand book of dating.
Reply 28
piginapoke
A mate of mine came up with a mathematical formula for it. He reckoned that you should take the difference in your ages away from the younger person's age, and if that answer is less than say 16, its 'wrong'. Something like a2 - (a1 - a2) > 16.

celver formula.
Reply 29
me!
it shouldn't really matter at the end of the day because it's down to the couple themselves - love is something you can't control, it just happens and when it does you'll do anything to stay together and when you've got something like that and in a happy lovign relationship who is anyone else to comment on it?
I agree that love is something that you cant predict nor control, it hits you when you least expect it. I think once you are truly in love with someone you basically dont care what anyone else thinks. An age gap could consist of 3 or 30 years, but as long as there is love between two people and a special bond that even they cant explain, that is all that matters. :smile: x
snow_white
ok obviously school aged people and thier families generally don't have a problem with girls having older boyfriends. am i right? my little sister is 15 and one of her friends who recently turned 15 had been dating a guy for about a year who's 21, it's fine to everybody, her mother doesn't even care that they have sex. a guy who was above me in school has just returned to school aged 22 to start year 11, his girlfriend of course being 75% of the reason he returned, shes 14, no problem again.
so obviously this is fine, so let me ask what is the big deal with older girls having younger boyfriends, i mean when your at school everyone thinks your sad, desperate cant get someone your age, and when you get older it's seen as some sort of midlife crisis, a fling to make you look younger, but honestly is it any different, an 18 yr old wanting to date a guy a year and a half younger than her would be so offensive to everyone, but why, the few years should not make a difference. i mean if it were like 12 or something then yeh it'd raise some eyebrows.
any thoughts from the forum?

something similar, but very different happened to me...
when i was 14, i was going out with a 17 year-old (not the same age gap but still...) and everyone was all like 'get in there my son!' but now im 17 and dating a 14 year old.... and im practically getting hate mail, when our relationship isnt a sexual one......
Reply 31
iv just turned 16 today and my gf is 18 in june...
Reply 32
ShiftySte

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Hope you got a nice pressie from lumpy :wink: after all your legal now.
Reply 33
ShiftySte

Happy Birthday mate. YOU ARE NOW OF LEGAL AGE.
Reply 34
Dude
Happy Birthday mate. YOU ARE NOW OF LEGAL AGE.
i know whoo!
ShiftySte

happy birthday!!!
Reply 36
I think age can be a problem if there is a big gap (I think over 15 years is quite enough!), but it doesn't matter who's older. Besides, every relationship is different, and if a couple can make an age gap work, why shouldn't they?

My boyfriend is three years younger than me, but no one who meets him seems to be able to tell. When I tell people they take the piss a bit, but it's all very nudge-nudge, tongue-in-cheek.

If I had a 14 year old daughter and she started going out with a 19- or 20-year-old man I'd be worried that he was going to push her into having sex, but I hope that I'd bring up a kid who was strong enough to say no if she was uncomfortable with the situation.

When people are unhappy about problems in other people's relationships they're usually just being nosy. If the guys in the relationship are happy, leave them to it.
Trousers
I think age can be a problem if there is a big gap (I think over 15 years is quite enough!), but it doesn't matter who's older. Besides, every relationship is different, and if a couple can make an age gap work, why shouldn't they?

My boyfriend is three years younger than me, but no one who meets him seems to be able to tell. When I tell people they take the piss a bit, but it's all very nudge-nudge, tongue-in-cheek.

If I had a 14 year old daughter and she started going out with a 19- or 20-year-old man I'd be worried that he was going to push her into having sex, but I hope that I'd bring up a kid who was strong enough to say no if she was uncomfortable with the situation.

When people are unhappy about problems in other people's relationships they're usually just being nosy. If the guys in the relationship are happy, leave them to it.

i agree :smile:
Reply 38
god i havent been on since i posted this a week ago but i just came on and read the continuation of posts from everyone and i wanted to say thanx to everyone for being very open about the subject, im not sure if any noticed but i had started this thread because it was a real life issue for me, i was pretty nervous about it so i decided you guys would be able to help. after reading this im glad i made the decision i did regarding the 16yr old, i can now be proud to say that for the last 5 days i have had a boyfriend whi is presently 16 whilst i am 18. i'm happy now and glad that there are so many more outthere with similar situations.
well done everyone for following thier hearts and not htier heads.
It's quite common nowadays, as long as the girl is not above 5 years older than you.

Latest

Trending

Trending