Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many different chloroalkanes are there likely to be in the mixture of products formed when ethane reacts with chlorine in the presence of sunlight?

A.6
    B.7
    C.8
    D.9

The answer is D.
    Why?

the ethane is C2H6

ReputationRep:
    This should explain it.

Chris
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You can have positional isomers on top of the variation in the amount of chlorines reacting.

I might not expect ones with 3 or 5 chlorines to be made though, I'm not great at chemistry but I'd think it's very rare to get a chlorine molecule being split and the atoms going to different ethanes/chloroethanes.

ReputationRep:
    The mechanism for the reaction is homolytic free-radical substitution, therefore, you would expect to get a range of products many of which have carbon chains longer than two carbon atoms.

For example, two ethyl radicals could combine with each other rather than chlorine:

CH3CH2- + CH3CH2- ---------> CH3CH2CH2CH2... which can undergo further substitutions with the chlorine radicals.

Theoretically, there are an endless number of possible products.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.