Which newspaper do you read?

Watch
Poll: Which newspaper do you read? Public Vote.
The Times (14)
17.72%
The Guardian (15)
18.99%
The Independent (9)
11.39%
The Telegraph (10)
12.66%
The Financial Times (9)
11.39%
A tabloid (2)
2.53%
The Daily Mail (9)
11.39%
Other (11)
13.92%
Hello?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi

I just wanted to know what newspapers people read and why. Apologies if I've missed any out.
Mr. Mojo Risin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Times because my Dad reads it
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
I get the Times whenever I'm about to get a train, but don't read one regularly.
.vandal87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Daily Mail,only to get riled up at the backwards journalists and people who comment on the articles.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Guardian ... if I read one. I usually just read the news on the BBC website and a few others on my phone.
BambieWambie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used to read the Independent, not anymore though. Now i read The Metro, because it's free and i sometimes read inewspaper when i can find it.
rhstar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used to read the guardian. But now if any its the metro when I get on the bus or train.
robin1125
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Financial Times and The Economist (although I don't think The Economist would be classified as a newspaper).
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When my grandad was alive I read The Sun and News Of the World (when it was running) since they mailed it to him every week. Now I read the Metro since its in my school library
Hello?
Rep:
?
(Original post by .vandal87)
The Daily Mail,only to get riled up at the backwards journalists and people who comment on the articles.
I can relate. My friend showed the online page to me and the consensus is that
1. UKIP should be voted in, the UK should get out of the EU and immigration should be stopped.
2. Gay people shouldn't marry.
3. We should bring back the death penalty.
4. A-Levels nowadays are easier than O-Levels when they did them and our "lost generation" will ruin Britain.
Hello?
Rep:
?
Bump
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The I or the Independent, usually. I'll occasionally pick up the Times or the Grauniad, but not too often.
Andy_J
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The only time I read newspapers is when they have been left on the tables in my break canteen at work, unfortunately its only ever the sun or if im really lucky I get a mirror.
munazic483
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Times because The Guardian is too smug and The I is too short. I don't bother with the opinion columns though, I find The Times is much more objective than most papers and don't want to sully that image by reading the biased ramblings of various columnists.
FrogInABog
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My mum reads the Grauniad, so I often read that. Having said that, I voted for the Times, because my dad smuggles it home from work, so I normally read that if he can get it past my mum!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As I'm a foreigner who doesn't live in Great Britain I read none of them.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Metro/Financial Times ... its always lying on the train seat so its free
USRaphael
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like reading the Telegraph online but when I had to make train journeys in the UK I always bought the Times (the Telegraph is too big to read comfortably and the Times makes a nice change).
Try Rekorderlig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Guardian- Its not like ive tried anything else, my lecturer suggested we start reading newspapers based on our political affiliation. So yeah.. it has a good crossword.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I occasionally pick up the Guardian or Independent when traveling but don't read any regularly, as I have just moved to the UK recently. I'd really like to get a subscription which brings me to the question:

Which weekly newspaper would you recommend to someone who ...

1. Considers himself to be centrist/liberal but occasionally oscillates more to the right/left on certain issues
2. Therefore values a newspaper which offers different views on issues, for example in the form of several pro and contra articles
3. Loves lengthy, in-depth analysis and reports, especially on foreign affairs

Back in Germany I had a subscription of DIE ZEIT (The Times) which Wikipedia describes like this:

"The paper is considered to be highbrow. Its political direction is centrist and liberal, but has oscillated a number of times between slightly left-leaning and slightly right-leaning. Die Zeit often publishes dossiers, essays, third-party articles and excerpts of lectures of different authors emphasising their points of view on a single aspect or topic in one or in consecutive issues. It is known for its very large physical paper format (Nordisch) and its long and detailed articles."

So ... any recommendations?

(Original post by Kallisto)
As I'm a foreigner who doesn't live in Great Britain I read none of them.
Might be interesting then to know which one you read - Welt, FAZ, ZEIT, Süddeutsche?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (401)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.68%

Watched Threads