Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A red snooker ball that was at rest is hit directly by a white ball moving at 0.8ms-1 after the collision the red ball moves at 0.75ms-1. Find the speed of the white ball after the collision, assuming the momentum is conserved. State clearly any further assumption you have made.

ReputationRep:
    are they in a straight line, or is it an oblique impact?

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt say, although the first part of the question says:

list four factors that could influence the outcome of a collisions between 2 snooker balls that are rollong along a straight line towards each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    A red snooker ball that was at rest is hit directly by a white ball moving at 0.8ms-1 after the collision the red ball moves at 0.75ms-1. Find the speed of the white ball after the collision, assuming the momentum is conserved. State clearly any further assumption you have made.
    assuming:
    1) they are in a straight line
    2) their masses are equal
    3) it is an elastic collision

0.8 + 0 = v + 0.75

v = 0.05 m/s

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeh, the whole mass is equal thing. What about this one:

A trck A of mass 15 tonnes moves along a straight railway line with a speed of 8ms-1. It colldies with a truck B of mass 10 tonnes which is moving with a speed of 4ms-1 along the same line and in the same direction. During the collision the impulse acting on each truck has magnitude 30000Ns. Calculate the speed of truck A and B immediately after the collision and the total loss of kinetic energy due to the collision.

I got 7 and 10 ms-1 which is clearly wrong as it cant of sped up surely?

ReputationRep:
    it can speed up. consider a 15 tonne truck hitting a grain of rice. the grain of rice will speed up a lot. it depends on the masses. generally, if a large mass hits a small mass, the small mass will speed up quite a bit, and the large mass will decelerate a small bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    it can speed up. consider a 15 tonne truck hitting a grain of rice. the grain of rice will speed up a lot. it depends on the masses. generally, if a large mass hits a small mass, the small mass will speed up quite a bit, and the large mass will decelerate a small bit.
    The combined speeds before = 12ms-1 combined speeds after = 17ms-1 ...cant of done that surely?

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether there was a "kick" when the balls made contact - i.e.) fricition due to excess deposited chalk.

This would otherwise slow down the speed of the white ball after the collision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It depends whether there was a "kick" when the balls made contact - i.e.) fricition due to excess deposited chalk.

This would otherwise slow down the speed of the white ball after the collision.
    Serious help only please, I have to be up in 6 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Serious help only please, I have to be up in 6 hours.
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    The combined speeds before = 12ms-1 combined speeds after = 17ms-1 ...cant of done that surely?
    15*8² + 10*4² = 1120
    15*7² + 10*10² = 1240

OK that's impossible from an energy point of view, in the current situation.

but it is generally possible. think about a truck hitting an atom. the truck will carry on with a similar speed, but the atom could go off at a few hundred m/s. the speeds after are much greater than the speeds before. so it is possible.

but in your case, you have made a mistake somewhere, because the energy has increased, which shouldnt be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    assuming:
    1) they are in a straight line
    2) their masses are equal
    3) it is an elastic collision

0.8 + 0 = v + 0.75

v = 0.05 m/s
    ms^-1 is more appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    15*8² + 10*4² = 1120
    15*7² + 10*10² = 1240

OK that's impossible from an energy point of view, in the current situation.

but it is generally possible. think about a truck hitting an atom. the truck will carry on with a similar speed, but the atom could go off at a few hundred m/s. the speeds after are much greater than the speeds before. so it is possible.

but in your case, you have made a mistake somewhere, because the energy has increased, which shouldnt be the case.
    I dont understand where the mistake is, thats my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    ms^-1 is more appropriate
    why is it more appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    why is it more appropriate?
    My teacher said so?

ReputationRep:
    5.2 and 7.2ms-1, how does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeh, the whole mass is equal thing. What about this one:

A trck A of mass 15 tonnes moves along a straight railway line with a speed of 8ms-1. It colldies with a truck B of mass 10 tonnes which is moving with a speed of 4ms-1 along the same line and in the same direction. During the collision the impulse acting on each truck has magnitude 30000Ns. Calculate the speed of truck A and B immediately after the collision and the total loss of kinetic energy due to the collision.

15000*8+10000*4 = 160000

15000A + 10000B = 160000 - 30000 = 150000

A = 5.2
    B = 7.2

ReputationRep:
    5.2 and 7.2ms-1, how does that sound?
    that sounds good, because the energy goes down, so it's OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    that sounds good, because the energy goes down, so it's OK
    I got B = 5.2 and A = 7.2 though, not the other way round :/

ReputationRep:
    I got B = 5.2 and A = 7.2 though, not the other way round :/
    oh well, i didnt do the complete solution, i saw your answers and put them in, because they sound right.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.