Joint degree: English Literature and Photography

Watch
sarahjanep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys
I really need an oppinion on whether combining photography and English lit is a wise decision.
I tried searching for universities that do it but there are about two that i found and it doesnt look good, do you think there is a reason for this?
should I keep photography on hold and do pure english literature?
I can understand why it might be difficult to answer this as you dont know my circumstances but I would appreciate any feed back.
thanks
Sweet_Heart
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's quite a strange combination. Makes me wonder why you want to do it in the first place? My advice would be to pick a decent university, but also a course you love. I personally wouldn't do photography and Eng Lit, but that doesn't mean that you should do the same if that's not what you really want.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I get the feeling the two would really clash to be honest

Photography would involve alot of extra curricular dark room sessions, and physical creative projects. English involves alot of reading and library referencing. I just get the feeling these two would be a conflict of interest, and you'd have to work hard to make it go smoothly.
ANTMlover24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to do english and photography as well!! If you wanna look at how it would work I would suggest you attend open days ^_^ you can get a taste of the courses and even ask people of the possibility there?=]
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's simply because they are two opposing subjects that really does not go hand in hand... Unless it's something like illustration or something of that kind. However, why not do something like English and Art or something?

Photography and English Literature degree just seems like a pointless combination where you can't use one side of the degree to help with the other. For instance how is photography going to help with English? Whereas, if you did English Lit and History, history can help out with Lit and vice versa too.

Perhaps you should stick with the English Lit and keep photography as a hobby.
ANTMlover24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do both at A level, and honestly they can help eachother to an extent as the theoretical side of photography requires analysis just like english. There's a lot of written work involved in photography and you do write dissertations about it as well. But because there's barely any courses, picking one would be a better option=/
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ANTMlover24)
I do both at A level, and honestly they can help eachother to an extent as the theoretical side of photography requires analysis just like english. There's a lot of written work involved in photography and you do write dissertations about it as well. But because there's barely any courses, picking one would be a better option=/
In terms of skills in A-level that's alright. But you could say the same with writing an essay in Philosophy and the analysis of that subject can be applied in Photography. It's just essay skills.

But in terms of uni degree; it isn't popular because they have little in common in terms of subject wise. You're not going to see English and Maths joints honours, just like you're not going to see a degree in Immunology and Dance. It just doesn't work.

I think English Lit would be a better option then perhaps join a photography society. Or vise versa. But traditionally, an English Lit degree would look better than a Photography degree.
KHO1201
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
which universities were they
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads