Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from the University of Edinburgh(for MSc. Artificial intelligence) and University of Sheffield(for MSc. Software Engineering) and University of Licester(MSc. Software Engineering).
    Which should I accept? Whats important is not only the reputation of the University(which would play an important role in gettin gme a job), but also that I know that after doing Software Engineering there would be more job prospects than otherwise. Edinbuirgh is my first choice, but having more job prospects after doing SE puts me in a dilema.
    Which offer should I accept? And on the whole, judging from placements after a MSc. degree the repuatation in general, which Universty is better.I also have offers form Exeter, Essex, East Anglia, Bradford, Brighton, Westminister, Kingston, though I guess the first three universities that I mentioned top the list.
    Please rate these Universities for me and help.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    take a look at the guardian

ReputationRep:
    I looked through the website you recommended...but it rates Edinburgh and Oxford Brookes almost similar, and east anglia is way on top. Is that really right? I mean, isnt Edinburgh THE BEST univ I have got through?
    Geting more perplexed than ever....
    please help...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

try here

have to take tables with a pinch of salt...
    they are all good unis...just go to the one you like the best...all are good so won't affect jobs or anything which one you choose...
    i personally would prefer sheffield...very friendly...but cold in the winter!!

if edinburgh is your favourite then go there- most important thing is that you will be happy there for 3/4 years

ReputationRep:
    have you been to look round them all??
    if not, you should

ReputationRep:
    I am from India, so I cant really look around. My remote location is another reason why I know absolutely nothing of these universities. There is no way(expect perhaps this) that I can get to know which university is better. I just applied in univs using the RAE table as a guide. Now that I am beginneing to get offers, I wish to choose the best of all the universities that accept me.
    My main concern is job placement but like u said, it doesnt matter which univ am i from. What about the reputation? Can anyone help me pick out the best. I know that there isnt any "best" but any sort of a rating would be really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Well PQ has prettymuch summed up the stats. I'll just add that Sheffield has a lot of international students and a very good atmosphere for them. I have 3 international students in my flat and they all have made tons of friends and are very happy.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps Sheffiled does have a more friendly atmosphere, but truthfully, what's more important is a high academic standard, good reputation and good job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot PQ....
    I guess the more I hear the better I like edinburgh. I also just heard from Ulster and Robert Gordon acceptng me.
    So now myfinal list becomes Exeter, Essex, East Anglia, Bradford, Brighton, Westminister, Kingston, Ulster, Robert Gordon along with Edinburgh, Licester and Sheffiled. And I am still waitng to hear from King's college london.
    I think I'll have to finally choose between Sheffield and Edinburgh. If there is a better university in that list than these two, then someone please tell me.
    And thanks again to all those people who have bothered to reply, you have no idea what a BIG help it's been to me.

ReputationRep:
    thanks PQ..I'll do exactly that...ask for that list.
    And there's no other good university that I have got an offer from and am missing on is there?(Exeter, Essex, East Anglia, Bradford, Brighton, Westminister, Kingston, Ulster, Robert Gordon along with Edinburgh, Licester and Sheffiled.)

(Original post by adtkedia)
    thanks PQ..I'll do exactly that...ask for that list.
    And there's no other good university that I have got an offer from and am missing on is there?(Exeter, Essex, East Anglia, Bradford, Brighton, Westminister, Kingston, Ulster, Robert Gordon along with Edinburgh, Licester and Sheffiled.)
    I thought that no student could apply to more than 6 UCAS institutions per year?

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for a MSc. course, that's not through UCAS, but I have to apply independently, so I can apply to as many univs as I want...no problems there...

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    This is for postgraduate one/two yr masters courses - applications are direct and you can apply to as many as you can be bothered to fill in the forms for.
    ahhh...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.