Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey. for art im looking at religion and peopl's beliefs. could anyone who has any opinion on any aspect of any religion please post it here.
    the kinds of things i'm looking to find out is:
    were you brought up in a religious family? if so, are you still that religion?
    why? if you've stayed, why? do you believe in an afterlife? why? why do you believe? if you don't believe, why?...
    all the general religion issues i suppose. i don't need answers to all or answers to any if you've got something different to say. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    also, if anyone can think of any songs/poems that directly deal with religion that'd be great (i've got losing my religion by rem but the lyrics arent v.religion orientated but ive also got Tourniquet by Evanescence). i just need some text really. thanks. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    my dad was brought up in a strongly methodist family...he rebelled against them in his early teens and now has no religion,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    hey. for art im looking at religion and peopl's beliefs. could anyone who has any opinion on any aspect of any religion please post it here.
    why? if you've stayed, why? do you believe in an afterlife? why? why do you believe? if you don't believe, why?...
    all the general religion issues i suppose. i don't need answers to all or answers to any if you've got something different to say. thanks.
    i dont believe...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I was brought up in a fairly religious (but cynical) family. Everyone else in my family is a catholic (although mainly non-practising) but the local catholic church refused to christen me (because my mum wasn't able to attend church when I was born - not really surprising when you consider that my dad was in the merchant navy and away and she was looking after my sister at the time and the church was a good couple of miles walk away...I don't know many pregnant women who'd be happy dragging a 2 yr old on a 4 mile round-trip while heavily pregnant and then try to get them to sit quietly through mass but apparantly the preist had no sympathy :mad: ) so I was christened CofE. Both my sister and I attended sunday school and church regularly (again CofE - the church community was really welcoming)...I used to really enjoy church - mainly because of the singing. My parents didn't really bother going (my dad doesn't like religion).

Went through a very pious stage at about 11/12, then between 12 and 14 went through all sorts of phases (including the "the world is just someone's fantasy" matrix stage :yawn: ) until I realised that I didn't need there to be a God to be a good person...and that I'd never really believed anyway, just gone along with the routines and rituals.

Since my Grandad died a few yrs back my Grandma and my mum started going to church again...I get the impression it's as much about the community and the people as it is about worship.

My sister is now a regular at a methodist church and it seems likely I'll be my future neice/nephews godmother...I'm not really happy about this, I'm not sure I could tolerate being responsible for someone elses spiritual wellbeing - especially if the baby grows into a believer :0\ however like any godparent I can only do my best...hopefully the kid will have the sense to listen to everything it's taught and then make up it's own mind regardless of what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I realised that I didn't need there to be a God to be a good person...and that I'd never really believed anyway, just gone along with the routines and rituals.

Since my Grandad died a few yrs back my Grandma and my mum started going to church again...I get the impression it's as much about the community and the people as it is about worship.
    it's funny you used the word ritual as that's the word for my art topic that led me to religion (well, maybe not that funny because if i got to religion from ritual, it can happen easily the other way-sorry-waffle)

but also the community aspect of worship is one that my teacher brought up in my last crit with her so i think that'll definitely be a path i look at. thank you for giving me such a full and honest response. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking i'll tell you about my beliefs too coz that's just fair? i am not religious and please don't find offense in what i say because i dont mean to offend any faith or individual and let me know if i do.

my dad's family are catholic. all of my cousins have been christened, had their first communion and confirmation. me and my two sisters have had/done none of these: not because we didnt want to, my parents just chose not to make those decisions for us. my twin and i do not believe in god. and our little sister does. when i was little i really liked the idea of going to church-i dont know why and it never really happened.

Now, i don't believe in God. I don't know if I believe in something, i feel like there should be something there because otherwise what's all this religion stuff about? (if you know what I mean) i don't believe in any sort of afterlife but i'd like to think something happens. I feel that the concept of an afterlife is very much a security blanket for those who dont want to think that dying is the end. I'd l;ove to believe in an afterlife for that security but i cant.
    I used to use as one of my reasons for not believing the old -'why does bad stuff happen if there is a God' but since doing a RE short course at GCSE i learnt that we apparently were granted freewill by God ...(that doesnt explain earthquakes though!)?

I feel completely out of place in a church but still have a lot of respect when i am in a curch or any other place of worship. i feel v.v.out of place when i attend one of cousins first communion or what have you because i can't receive communion, merely be blessed by the priest. hmmm...what a jumbled lot of waffle. anyhoo. there you go. dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    i was brought up as a jahovas witness
    i no longer follow that religion..because it was just a way of making money and getting skilled people to work for nothing, we never celabrated xmas,birthdays or easter, u had to give donations every time or u were made to feel guilty, our parents were dragged into doing work and cleaning at the various witness halls for nothing and girls wore dresses or skirts and boy wore trousers, if u were seen in a skirt slightly above your knee then you got made an example off, it was cruel.
    i beleve in the afterlife because i have had some spiritual expirenses such as seeing ghosts... so on
    i do beleve in god but i beleve he is in everything not just in a church or a witness hall.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in any religion.

ReputationRep:
    We are the few, the faithful few,
    Let all the rest be damned.
    There's only room for one or two.
    We can't have heaven jammed.
    -old Calvinist hymn.

ReputationRep:
    I was christened, but im not a practicing christian. This i because i find a lot of it hard to believe with no proof, i guess that means i have no faith in religion

ReputationRep:
    My family's Jewish, but they never enforced any ideas upon me so that I could make up my own mind. I quickly decided that religion was a barrier to a rich life, and I found most of Judaism's ideas pretty unconvincing anyway. So although I'm Jewish by birth I wouldn't consider myself to have any religion.

As for songs, most stuff by Creed has Christian undertones, "One Last Breath" is really good. But please don't use anything by Evanescence.

ReputationRep:
    My family is Catholic, I believe that there is a higher... something... but I dont believe a lot of stuff they expect you to eat without questioning. I believe that Marilyn Monroe and James Dean are my guardian angels ( :rolleyes: ) and i believe in gohsties and im very liberal and share the belief of some other religoins... I suppose im omni-spiritual or otherwise, "Ill believe it when I see it." ... now looking back on this post, i sound wierd.

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking i'll tell you about my beliefs too coz that's just fair? i am not religious and please don't find offense in what i say because i dont mean to offend any faith or individual and let me know if i do.

my dad's family are catholic. all of my cousins have been christened, had their first communion and confirmation. me and my two sisters have had/done none of these: not because we didnt want to, my parents just chose not to make those decisions for us. my twin and i do not believe in god. and our little sister does. when i was little i really liked the idea of going to church-i dont know why and it never really happened.

Now, i don't believe in God. I don't know if I believe in something, i feel like there should be something there because otherwise what's all this religion stuff about? (if you know what I mean) i don't believe in any sort of afterlife but i'd like to think something happens. I feel that the concept of an afterlife is very much a security blanket for those who dont want to think that dying is the end. I'd l;ove to believe in an afterlife for that security but i cant.
    I used to use as one of my reasons for not believing the old -'why does bad stuff happen if there is a God' but since doing a RE short course at GCSE i learnt that we apparently were granted freewill by God ...(that doesnt explain earthquakes though!)?

I feel completely out of place in a church but still have a lot of respect when i am in a curch or any other place of worship. i feel v.v.out of place when i attend one of cousins first communion or what have you because i can't receive communion, merely be blessed by the priest. hmmm...what a jumbled lot of waffle. anyhoo. there you go. dearyxxx
    Religion is always a diverse and complicated subject, I am over 30 now and have come to my own conclusions about religion. I will try not to rant too much.

I have been and Athiest since my early 20's, however I am completely fascinated about religious history (am doing some of it for my History Masters). It is full of inconsistancies, conjecture and has been distorted through time, I shall give you a few examples:

1. The Virgin Mary - Mary wasn't a virgin in the sense we know, it was simply a name back then they gave to unmarried women.
    2. There is no evidence that Mary Magdalene was ever prostitute, it is more likely that she was Jesus's wife. There is strong opinion that the "Holy Grail" is actually the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalene
    3. The loaves and the fishes - when people of that time when to hear speakers, they used to take a picnic - it's that simple.
    4. Water into wine, in those days they used to trink wine because it was considered safer that water to drink. Also a lot of the time they would be so drink they wouldn't have a clue what they were drinking.

Jesus was a politician and his miracles were staged - his manifesto. The Romans at that time were actually quite liberal and Christians were actually allowed to worship in private.

I do not belive God created Man, I believe Man created God to answer a lot of questions in thier life, especially death, people cannot handle the fact they are here for 70 or 80 years and that's it.

I also don't like the indoctrination, do as I say and not as I do, i.e. Priests messing about with young boys and the Catholic Church doing nothing about it.

The hipocracy, yes they help each other in their own "church community" but do bugger all for the rest of us. My next door neighbour is a "Happy Clapper" and he is exactly like that. We never see him unless he asks us for donations.

In a lot of African and Arab countries, you don't have a choice - you believe and that's it - it's also a culture thing, but there have been other threads about that!

ReputationRep:
    Read Holy Blood, Holy Grail, it's FANTASTIC! It was written by some Professors who speant years researchilg the plot holes in the bible, it opens up your eyes to a LOT of things.

ie) Book of paul: 1) They arent sure if he was even literate, 2) eight of his letters are proven to not have been written by him. EDIT: Two were written after he died, so if they were written by him there is some freaky spiritual $hit going on!

>> Why isnt there so many people in the Middle East now (where Jesus hung out) called Luke, Paul, Matthew?

Ah, im a theorist, I dont mean to offend the religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Read Holy Blood, Holy Grail, it's FANTASTIC! It was written by some Professors who speant years researchilg the plot holes in the bible, it opens up your eyes to a LOT of things.

ie) Book of paul: 1) They arent sure if he was even literate, 2) eight of his letters are proven to not have been written by him. EDIT: Two were written after he died, so if they were written by him there is some freaky spiritual $hit going on!

>> Why isnt there so many people in the Middle East now (where Jesus hung out) called Luke, Paul, Matthew?

Ah, im a theorist, I dont mean to offend the religious.
    Bought the book, read it twice, probably one of the best books I have heaver read, like you say, it opens your eyes to a lot of things, which has reinforced my Athism.

ReputationRep:
    thanks to everyone. ill defintely look out that book.

can i just ask-why not evanescence? its not that im set on using them coz i dont think the lryics are contemplative (is that even a word?!) enough for what im doing.

dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    thanks to everyone. ill defintely look out that book.

can i just ask-why not evanescence? its not that im set on using them coz i dont think the lryics are contemplative (is that even a word?!) enough for what im doing.

dearyxxx
    Because they're crap and make me lose my faith in music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Because they're crap and make me lose my faith in music.
    ok i won't but i still like them. sorry dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    God man made god, not the other way round, for when something happened which was unexplainable, people killing people over a few pounds or dollars, that’s unexplainable so is that gods will.

I would like to believe in something but can’t see anything which is supposed to be good, allowing this world to be the way that it is. I read in the papers a while ago that a priest was charged with child abuse is that gods will. Let’s face it the only good thing in this world is nature which is governed by the sun and moon Not a so called god

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.