Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    Hope you don't regret it. May depend on the subject, course etc but generally Cam will open doors that Kings doesn't. Perhaps that sounds unimportant now but .........
    Here here.

ReputationRep:
    The university you go to doesn't define who you are but a degree from Cambridge will prove that you have a certain level of ability, and you may feel you need to make a greater effort to prove you have this ability if you go to King's. (Hope that didn't sound pompous, it was supposed to be quite the opposite)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Here here.
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a place at Oxford but intend to reject it in favour of Bristol uni. The reason being that the computer science course at Oxford is very theoretical whereas the Bristol course has much more "real" programming etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisDragonKni)
    I have been offered a place at Oxford but intend to reject it in favour of Bristol uni. The reason being that the computer science course at Oxford is very theoretical whereas the Bristol course has much more "real" programming etc.
    Yes, maybe now you do prefer the content of the course and Bristol may be exactly right for you. Just a couple of observations - CompScis at Oxford don't tend to hang around long waiting for good jobs. The experience of being a student at Oxford or Cambridge is different and for most people (although not all) it is better than elsewhere in that the resources and the opportunities you have are often much greater. Just simple things like gettting books you need, facilities, vacation accomodation etc are so much easier. In most subjects you have much greater access to tutors and often more senior people in their fields. Don't just think that course looks better from your current view point - it's one factor amongst several you ought to consider before a final decision.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maybe now you do prefer the content of the course and Bristol may be exactly right for you. Just a couple of observations - CompScis at Oxford don't tend to hang around long waiting for good jobs. The experience of being a student at Oxford or Cambridge is different and for most people (although not all) it is better than elsewhere in that the resources and the opportunities you have are often much greater. Just simple things like gettting books you need, facilities, vacation accomodation etc are so much easier. In most subjects you have much greater access to tutors and often more senior people in their fields. Don't just think that course looks better from your current view point - it's one factor amongst several you ought to consider before a final decision.
    he said comp sci at oxford not cambridge. comp sci at oxford isn't particularly good at all, comp sci at cambridge is very good. Therefore i see where he is coming from when he says he likes bristol over oxford for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    he said comp sci at oxford not cambridge. comp sci at oxford isn't particularly good at all, comp sci at cambridge is very good. Therefore i see where he is coming from when he says he likes bristol over oxford for the subject.
    I see where he is coming from. I think there is plenty of scope to dispute your assertion about CompSci at Oxford. Odd that he didn't apply to Cambridge if he was worried about the content of the course at Oxford?

My points remain - irrespective of any opinion on how good Ox Compsci might be, its graduates find good jobs rather easily. There is also a lot more to Oxford and making decisions about it than the orientation of the course.

ReputationRep:
    i'm gonna give cam a try (grades permitting) if it doesn't work out i'll try again next yr (obv at a diff uni!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    i'm gonna give cam a try (grades permitting) if it doesn't work out i'll try again next yr (obv at a diff uni!)
    what I meant is that it's too good an opportunity to waste

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think going to cambridge or oxford is so much better than other universities? As I mentioned before I have an offer of a place at Oxford as well as other top universities so I am well aware of what the different courses involve.
    A lot of people here seem to assume that going to Oxford or Cambridge allows you to get better jobs. This is not really true. A few decades ago this was true but not any more. Of course, oxbridge will continue telling you this to get you to go there. But I have done some research into job prospects since I want a high flying career either as an investment banker or maybe even setting up my own business. Now obviously if I set up a business it dosen't matter where I go to university. What matters is do I enjoy what I am doing there, enough to motivate me to want to continue it as a career?
    Secondly, I have researched the fast-track graduate programmes offered by top companies to enable top students to be promoted rapidly. I have talked to the human resources department of most of the FTSE 100 companies (the big companies), and asked them what things they consider when looking to employ students that they want to be fast-tracked into management. Not a single company said they would favour Oxbridge over another top universitiy such as Warwick or Bristol. The general view is that the only thing that matters is that you go to a university in the top 10 list (but it dosen;t matter whether its the first or the tenth in the list), and then what grade of degree you get.

So don't worry about going to Oxbridge just for careers sake because the benefits are very small in today's world.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think going to cambridge or oxford is so much better than other universities? As I mentioned before I have an offer of a place at Oxford as well as other top universities so I am well aware of what the different courses involve.
    A lot of people here seem to assume that going to Oxford or Cambridge allows you to get better jobs. This is not really true. A few decades ago this was true but not any more. Of course, oxbridge will continue telling you this to get you to go there. But I have done some research into job prospects since I want a high flying career either as an investment banker or maybe even setting up my own business. Now obviously if I set up a business it dosen't matter where I go to university. What matters is do I enjoy what I am doing there, enough to motivate me to want to continue it as a career?
    Secondly, I have researched the fast-track graduate programmes offered by top companies to enable top students to be promoted rapidly. I have talked to the human resources department of most of the FTSE 100 companies (the big companies), and asked them what things they consider when looking to employ students that they want to be fast-tracked into management. Not a single company said they would favour Oxbridge over another top universitiy such as Warwick or Bristol. The general view is that the only thing that matters is that you go to a university in the top 10 list (but it dosen;t matter whether its the first or the tenth in the list), and then what grade of degree you get.

So don't worry about going to Oxbridge just for careers sake because the benefits are very small in today's world.
    There are other sides to going to Oxford or Cam than carreer prospects. The challenge of the place and the intellectual stimulation is phenomenal.

ReputationRep:

With all due respect that is naive tosh. Neither Oxford nor Cambridge tell you that going there will get you a better job than elsewhere.

The idea that someone, almost certainly quite junior, in an HR department would say that they favour a particular university is highly improbable and unprofessional, so I'm not at all surprised that your remarkably exhaustive survey revealed this. If you could get hold of the figures you would still find that a disproportionate number of Oxbridge graduates get the higher paid first jobs in several fields - the financial sector remains one of those.

People should go where they feel is right for them. Studying at Oxford or Cambridge is more demanding intellectually than most other unversities. This isn't because of the course content as such (although you will find in many subjects that the coverage is deeper than many 'equivalents'). It is because of the method of study. You work very much on your own for a high percentage of the time and the tutorial system means that you are challenged on your output - often by peope who are leaders in their field. That can be tough but it gives you skills and ultimately confidence that count highly with graduate recruiters. Anyone who tells you otherwise is being less than honest.

I know a couple of people who have turned down places at Oxford. One is very happy at the LSE, but the other regrets bitterly that decision and will wonder for ever what might have been. So if you are genuine about holding an offer, just think very carefully.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect that is naive tosh. Neither Oxford nor Cambridge tell you that going there will get you a better job than elsewhere.

The idea that someone, almost certainly quite junior, in an HR department would say that they favour a particular university is highly improbable and unprofessional, so I'm not at all surprised that your remarkably exhaustive survey revealed this. If you could get hold of the figures you would still find that a disproportionate number of Oxbridge graduates get the higher paid first jobs in several fields - the financial sector remains one of those.

People should go where they feel is right for them. Studying at Oxford or Cambridge is more demanding intellectually than most other unversities. This isn't because of the course content as such (although you will find in many subjects that the coverage is deeper than many 'equivalents'). It is because of the method of study. You work very much on your own for a high percentage of the time and the tutorial system means that you are challenged on your output - often by peope who are leaders in their field. That can be tough but it gives you skills and ultimately confidence that count highly with graduate recruiters. Anyone who tells you otherwise is being less than honest.

I know a couple of people who have turned down places at Oxford. One is very happy at the LSE, but the other regrets bitterly that decision and will wonder for ever what might have been. So if you are genuine about holding an offer, just think very carefully.
    It does sound like the guy is trying to do his homework.
    Had he said that he wanted to use his comp sci for a computer related job, then I would have said consider Bristol, as employers in the computing sector don't regard Oxford particularly highly for the subject. Infact if one went for a computer related job, after doing comp sci at Ox, compared with say someone who has done comp sci at say Warwick or York etc, they would both be regarded on an equal footing, because although the name of Warwick isn't as strong as ox, it's department is VERY strong. I thought bristol was good at engineering? So i would assume that it's good at comp sci too, although maybe not as strong as Warwick/york etc.
    However, for non-degree specific jobs like investment banking then having ox as the name will probably be better than bristol, whether they are good or not good at the subject. But if you're gonna get a 1st at Bristol and a 2:1 at Ox, I would say take Bristol as a first stands out quite abit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    It does sound like the guy is trying to do his homework.
    Had he said that he wanted to use his comp sci for a computer related job, then I would have said consider Bristol, as employers in the computing sector don't regard Oxford particularly highly for the subject. Infact if one went for a computer related job, after doing comp sci at Ox, compared with say someone who has done comp sci at say Warwick or York etc, they would both be regarded on an equal footing, because although the name of Warwick isn't as strong as ox, it's department is VERY strong. I thought bristol was good at engineering? So i would assume that it's good at comp sci too, although maybe not as strong as Warwick/york etc.
    However, for non-degree specific jobs like investment banking then having ox as the name will probably be better than bristol, whether they are good or not good at the subject. But if you're gonna get a 1st at Bristol and a 2:1 at Ox, I would say take Bristol as a first stands out quite abit.
    Partly true but still a far too narrow view of the world, course content and how the job market works. Employers rate Oxford not just for the course but because it's tough to get in and tough when you are there across most subjects. Ditto Cambridge. In comparison Bristol is easier to get into and by most accounts not that demanding when you are there. Graduate recruiters look far less at the detail of the course than some of you seem to imagine. It's not the name of Oxford or Cambridge (although it may help with the publis school cliques in some professions - it's the demands those places put on you and the skills they give you.

ReputationRep:
    Partly true but still a far too narrow view of the world, course content and how the job market works. Employers rate Oxford not just for the course but because it's tough to get in and tough when you are there across most subjects. Ditto Cambridge. In comparison Bristol is easier to get into and by most accounts not that demanding when you are there. Graduate recruiters look far less at the detail of the course than some of you seem to imagine. It's not the name of Oxford or Cambridge (although it may help with the publis school cliques in some professions - it's the demands those places put on you and the skills they give you.
    Employers tend to have a very high opinion of Bristol, and it still recruits a high proportion of the best students. Bristol is still in the top five for Average A-level score and is a demanding university so employesrs are still likely to favour someone from Bristol with a 1st then a 2.1 Oxbridge graduate. You have to remember most people at Bristol have 3As at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steven222)
    You have to remember most people at Bristol have 3As at A-level.
    Not the ones that I know.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get into investment banking (Corporate Finance), I'd still say Oxbridge is the way to go..

It's incredibly competitive, and whilst companies may not be favouring certain Universities *specifically*, they are looking for certain qualities that are far more likely to get highly developed being in an Oxford or Cambridge environment.

This has nothing to do with which Uni recruits the best students, has the best course or best reputation. Its simple because you just don't get the level of contact with your faculty at other universities the way you do here. You're forced to work hard, develop your critical thinking, and you have to be able to think on your feet in supervisions. (I find it incredible that people can go through an entire degree without speaking a single word in their tutorials at some uni's!)

Besides that, there's an enormous amount of society and college activity going on. I don't know anybody here who hasn't managed to get involved with at least 2 or 3 different societies at committee level! I don't know how this compares, but my friends at other universities definitely aren't as active as this...

--
    p.s. i'm not sure a first at bristol really is rated higher than a 2.1 at Oxbridge. i've repeatedly heard comments like "a 2.1 at Cambridge is equivalent to a 1st anywhere else!". (the external examiners commented they thought the economics faculty grade too harshly...)

p.p.s. isn't it annoying how you can't help wondering whether you're coming across as snobby when you talk about oxbridge??

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that if you were really against going to Oxford for future employment prospects, then why did you chose Bristol?! Most of the top 100 FTSE's would rather imploy people from London Uni's, especially Imperial as they see that as well as a damn good degree you've already had experience in the city!

So if you don't want to go to Oxford, then I really think you should take up an offer at a London Uni. If you didn't apply to one in the beginning, then it was a foolish mistake if you are serious about making lots of money, and if you were unfortunately rejected then you should definitely take Oxford's course. These employers aren't necessarily concerned with how good "practically" you are and would no doubt prefer a more theoretical course (ie. Oxford) which shows that you can process and understand ideas/thoughts without having to actually carry it out and that you are very good at analysing - important assets for flying up the career ladder.

Like everyone else is saying, please reconsider your oxford offer - you don't know what you are missing until you try it?! And realistically it is NOT going to reduce your employment chances, if anything it'll improve them!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.