Want more information about this university?

what happens if i fail a module in my first year?

Watch
sena93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
basically, it's inevitable. I have a deadline tomorrow and it's not going to happen. I've already failed the design/research part, so if I fail the making part I think I fail the module, and I hear I can't move onto the second year if I have failed a module.

I study Fashion Design if that makes any difference.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sena93)
basically, it's inevitable. I have a deadline tomorrow and it's not going to happen. I've already failed the design/research part, so if I fail the making part I think I fail the module, and I hear I can't move onto the second year if I have failed a module.

I study Fashion Design if that makes any difference.
It'll depend on the uni, how many modules you fail and by how much you fail as they could be 'lax if it's not that far off the pass mark.

So check with the uni really.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Check the academic regs of the uni for the specific rules.
Often unis will either allow a capped resit/resubmission the same academic year, or if that's not practical, let you progress on the condition you redo the module.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also worth having a look at the late policy. If it's quite lenient, you might be able to improve your submission marks in a day or two by more than the amount of marks being deducted.
It's not an option for me as it's instantly capped at 40%, Afaik though some places deduct 10% per day late which imo gives you quite a good chance to pull your mark up in the extra day or 2 if you ran out of time.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also worth having a look at the late policy. If it's quite lenient, you might be able to improve your submission marks in a day or two by more than the amount of marks being deducted.
It's not an option for me as it's instantly capped at 40%, Afaik though some places deduct 10% per day late which imo gives you quite a good chance to pull your mark up in the extra day or 2 if you ran out of time.
Flying Cookie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess you're not going to be told the procedures regarding a failed module until the end of the year approaches.

1. You might be allowed to retake the assessments in the summer

2. You might not

I can't imagine them just overlooking it. Sometimes they'll be more lenient if you've only failed one module rather than 2 or 3. Also, they usually allow a resit if you've failed a module, but still got at least 30% on it. Not sure if they'd allow a resit at all if a module is failed with 0%.

So my best advice is try to get anything done, because a poor or incomplete, but serious attempt will look better than no attempt at all, and might be the difference between being allowed to resit and go into year 2. Consider if you've had any mitigating circumstances which prevented you from completing the work, and if you did, then complete a mitigating circumstances form and hand it in. And finally, if this was the result of a lack of commitment on your part, then have a think about whether this is what you really want to do. There's no point trying to get into year 2 if year 1 isn't working out.

All the best
green.tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will be...

punished
PerfectKid_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (28)
19.18%
I'm not sure (3)
2.05%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (50)
34.25%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.05%
I'm not a current university student (62)
42.47%

Watched Threads