The Student Room Group

UK prospective Medical Student wanting to study at Groningen

I'm a Scottish student, in the final year of my secondary education, and having already sent away my UCAS to 4 medical schools, I am also wishing to apply to the University of Groningen.

On their website, the only English taught medical degree I see is medicine and global health. What are the careers that lead on from studying such a degree?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DuffyG
I'm a Scottish student, in the final year of my secondary education, and having already sent away my UCAS to 4 medical schools, I am also wishing to apply to the University of Groningen.

On their website, the only English taught medical degree I see is medicine and global health. What are the careers that lead on from studying such a degree?

Thank you!

I checked the Groningen site, it appears what you're talking about 'BSc Medicine, profile Global Health'. I checked the Masters degrees offered and it confirmed my suspicions - it works like in Denmark, where you do a 3 year BSc and then you do a 3 year Masters, which make up the 6 years of medical education. If you only did the BSc, it'd be like leaving a UK university after the BSc part (ie reasonably useless unless you just want to go into a random graduate job that just requires any Bachelors degree).

Edit: I just rechecked and it appears the Masters half is 100% Dutch, so you'd have to make sure you became fluent (and possibly took required Dutch language exams) before you could gain admission to the Masters.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks very much. Having researched this some more I have been told that studying such a degree (it being in a European university also) would make admission to global health organisations such as the world health organisation more likely and so I have a greater interest in study here. The university of Utrecht has also been mentioned as one to apply to. I am still not too sure though.
Reply 3
Original post by DuffyG
Thanks very much. Having researched this some more I have been told that studying such a degree (it being in a European university also) would make admission to global health organisations such as the world health organisation more likely and so I have a greater interest in study here. The university of Utrecht has also been mentioned as one to apply to. I am still not too sure though.

Did you apply fthere then
Reply 4
Original post by Nima123
Did you apply fthere then

I did not but I have decided to take a gap year instead this year. However, I do look into applying this year.
Reply 5
Great that you're looking to study in the netherlands. I studied nursing at utrecht university (currently doing medicine back in the UK). You can apply to the duthc university courses via studielink.nl (their version of ucas). Fees are the same for you as for dutch students. You're also eligable for student finance from the dutch government WHICH YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY BACK if you pass your degree.

I also believe Maastricht university does an english Medical course. But as Ronove mentioned, the dutch medical training is split into a 3 year bachelor degree and 3 year masters. You are garaunteed a place on the masters course if you pass the bacholors degree (similar to pre-clinical and clinical phases of some traditional UK medical schools).

If you have any more questions regarding applications to dutch med schools drop me a message, I looked into it quite a bit when I lived there.
Reply 6
I'm looking at applying now for 2015 entry...not sure between Maastricht or Groningen.
I've got AABab at A level, currently full time carer in a brain injury nursing home and various other work experience.
Anyone got any idea how competitive the decentralised selection process is?
These 2 dutch unis look so much better than the 'dodgy' eastern european ones haha
Reply 7
Original post by oreilly96
I'm looking at applying now for 2015 entry...not sure between Maastricht or Groningen.
I've got AABab at A level, currently full time carer in a brain injury nursing home and various other work experience.
Anyone got any idea how competitive the decentralised selection process is?
These 2 dutch unis look so much better than the 'dodgy' eastern european ones haha

I'm assuming it's divided into 3 years BA and 3 years MA to get the primary medical qualification (as it is in Denmark, and as it was at at least one Dutch uni I've seen before). Are you aware of whether the MA part is in Dutch or English at Maastricht and Groningen?
Reply 8
yeh the MA is in Dutch, so you'd have to be proficient in it after 3 years.
Hi!

I'm Dutch and from Groningen but I decided to study in Stirling :smile:. However, I do know a lot about the uni as a lot of my friends go there and obviously about the culture/language/country. Medicine is a very competitive course, whether you're studying the English or Dutch variant. Many of my classmates wanted to do medicine but not everyone got in. It is a decentralised selection so fair chances for everyone. However, if you have very high grades and/or your dad is a surgeon or professor you're guaranteed a place more or less haha. You can read everything about the process here: http://www.rug.nl/umcg/education/medicine/decentrale-selectie-geneeskunde

As already mentioned, the master part is completely in Dutch. Don't worry though: there are enough English alternatives!: http://www.rug.nl/masters/in-english

People I know say it's a really interesting course, not difficult but just a lot to do and to keep up with. The Netherlands is known for starting at a really high pace so that people who don't have the knowledge or motivation 'naturally' drop out after 1 year or even after the first semester. Groningen is a beautiful student city with loads to see and do! The Faculty of Medical Sciences is right next to the hospital, as the University and the Medical Centre work together a lot for this course. That also means you're really close to the city centre as the hospital is just a 10 minute walk from there. If you want to know anything else I'll be more than happy to help you! :smile:

Suzanne
Reply 10
Original post by Suzanne93
Hi!

I'm Dutch and from Groningen but I decided to study in Stirling :smile:. However, I do know a lot about the uni as a lot of my friends go there and obviously about the culture/language/country. Medicine is a very competitive course, whether you're studying the English or Dutch variant. Many of my classmates wanted to do medicine but not everyone got in. It is a decentralised selection so fair chances for everyone. However, if you have very high grades and/or your dad is a surgeon or professor you're guaranteed a place more or less haha. You can read everything about the process here: http://www.rug.nl/umcg/education/medicine/decentrale-selectie-geneeskunde

As already mentioned, the master part is completely in Dutch. Don't worry though: there are enough English alternatives!
: http://www.rug.nl/masters/in-english

People I know say it's a really interesting course, not difficult but just a lot to do and to keep up with. The Netherlands is known for starting at a really high pace so that people who don't have the knowledge or motivation 'naturally' drop out after 1 year or even after the first semester. Groningen is a beautiful student city with loads to see and do! The Faculty of Medical Sciences is right next to the hospital, as the University and the Medical Centre work together a lot for this course. That also means you're really close to the city centre as the hospital is just a 10 minute walk from there. If you want to know anything else I'll be more than happy to help you! :smile:

Suzanne

The Masters part is just as much a part of the primary medical qualification as the Bachelors - to become a doctor you have to do both. The various English-language Masters programmes are therefore not an alternative at all.
Hi all,

University of Groningen here :smile:

To confirm you're all correct - the masters part of the programme is in Dutch as you will have clinical experience in Dutch hospitals therefore speaking to Dutch patients. So the University of Groningen offers all of their international students 50 hours of free Dutch language lessons allowing you to get the basics. You'll then be able study Dutch up to a higher level during the rest of your bachelors degree to be able to continue with the masters degree.

Regarding selection it is competitive with 60 places for international students over 600 will apply. If you meet the minimum requirements you'll be invited to a testing day, potentially two testing days. These testing days will see how you engage with people and how you interpret academic texts. Suzanne - thank you for providing the links :smile:
Original post by University of Groningen
Hi all,

University of Groningen here :smile:

To confirm you're all correct - the masters part of the programme is in Dutch as you will have clinical experience in Dutch hospitals therefore speaking to Dutch patients. So the University of Groningen offers all of their international students 50 hours of free Dutch language lessons allowing you to get the basics. You'll then be able study Dutch up to a higher level during the rest of your bachelors degree to be able to continue with the masters degree.

Regarding selection it is competitive with 60 places for international students over 600 will apply. If you meet the minimum requirements you'll be invited to a testing day, potentially two testing days. These testing days will see how you engage with people and how you interpret academic texts. Suzanne - thank you for providing the links :smile:

Hello, I would like to ask what would be a competitive IB score to be considered a place on the Bsc in Medicine course as an international applicant? Thanks.
Original post by AlexT<3Groningen
Hello, I would like to ask what would be a competitive IB score to be considered a place on the Bsc in Medicine course as an international applicant? Thanks.

Hello,

You need a minimum of 24 points to be considered however over 600 international applicants apply for 60 places so it is advised to get the best grades you can possibly attain. There is a selection procedure in place which you can find out more about here.

If you're keen to work in the medical field however do not want to become a doctor - the new Liberal Arts and Sciences programme at University College Groningen may be an alternative option. You can major in Health and Life Sciences and cherry pick the courses you wish you study.

Good luck - the deadline for Medicine is the 15th January 2015. :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, I also applied through studie link for medicine. The full application is completed on the website however I don't have my full Alevel grades yet until this august. How can I make the university aware of this?
I think its very much like Bachelor in Medicine and a Masters in Surgery (Chirurgie) The Masters in surgery has to be in Dutch because you obviously have to train in a Dutch hospital. Communication with patients is vital for that and therefore speaking in the native language is a must. My question will be whether everyone that passes the Bachelor in Medicine gets the opportunity to be a medical doctor or whether there is a grade that one has to attain at the Bachelor level in order to do the masters in medicine. I would like to go for Molecular Medicine rather than global health if I am admitted
I think you are allowed to have one exemption which is not Biology. Try contacting admissions. Deadline is Friday so be quick
Original post by Amihum
Hi, I also applied through studie link for medicine. The full application is completed on the website however I don't have my full Alevel grades yet until this august. How can I make the university aware of this?

The admissions office will be aware that A-Level results are not released until late August however you'll need to submit your predicted grades to support your application. The admissions officer will be in touch with you about this. :smile:
Original post by Jewels_padmore
I think its very much like Bachelor in Medicine and a Masters in Surgery (Chirurgie) The Masters in surgery has to be in Dutch because you obviously have to train in a Dutch hospital. Communication with patients is vital for that and therefore speaking in the native language is a must. My question will be whether everyone that passes the Bachelor in Medicine gets the opportunity to be a medical doctor or whether there is a grade that one has to attain at the Bachelor level in order to do the masters in medicine. I would like to go for Molecular Medicine rather than global health if I am admitted

We offer all international students 50 hours of free Dutch language lessons to get you started. You'll then be able to continue to learn it to a higher standard and will probably have to take a language test to be successful of a place on the masters programme. :smile:
Original post by Jewels_padmore
I think you are allowed to have one exemption which is not Biology. Try contacting admissions. Deadline is Friday so be quick

Please ensure you register via Studielink earlier than Friday as you need a DigiD code for your account which takes a few days to attain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending